PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Out

fjmas1976
08-30-08, 05:50 PM
Hey Marines......I need a little help from all of you. Needless to say, my girlfriend isn't too happy with my recent interest in re-enlisting in the Corps. I've tried to explain what it is and how I feel about the Corps, but I don't think she gets it. I was hoping my fellow Marines could leave their thoughts and feelings on what the Marine Corps means to you. Maybe she will read what all of you write and have a better understanding of Semper Fidelis.

Thanks and Semper Fi:usmc:

YutYut
08-30-08, 06:23 PM
I didn't realize it until I was in, but being a Marine is my dream "job." I got out Oct 2007 which was decidedly the worst mistake I've made to date. I don't think my wife understands why I want to re-enlist and I know she'd rather I stay a civilian, but after many many LONG discussions, she's supportive of my decision, assuming no financial disasters occur. I tried to explain to her what the Corps means to me, but that was not very successful. So we watched Medal of Honor on the military channel a few times, we watched many different documentaries on the Marines of old and current on Military and History channel and I've pointed out many things that were shown or said on these shows and did the best I could explaining why they're important to our country. It all came down to the fact that "freedom isn't free" and "Good people sleep peaceably at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." With me not being "ok" or "comfortable" letting others fight for our freedoms while I sit here and drink a cold beer watching TV, coupled with the shows and my various comments/explanations, she at least started to understand that this is a very important thing to me.

I'm glad to hear you want to come back bro. Good luck and I hope you two can work something out.

Old Marine
08-30-08, 06:35 PM
Give her a kiss good-by and sign on the dotted line. There are many more fish inb the sea.

YutYut
08-30-08, 06:42 PM
Ok, granted I'm coming from the POV of a married guy...but that seems a bit d*ck-ish to me. :flag:

Marine84
08-30-08, 08:34 PM
If she's been your girlfriend the whole/most of time you've served already - tell her it's the way it is, you aren't married to her. If she's just the flavor of the month, like Old Marine said..............kiss her bye bye and sign on the dotted line.

tgwkreu7
08-30-08, 08:44 PM
when i joined the marine corps in 1948 my girlfriend said if i joint up it will be the end of us i told her goodbye and take care and i went to parris island
joe kreuz

fjmas1976
08-30-08, 08:48 PM
I told her the way it is. I told her that I am going back in if I can and that is my decision regardless of her feelings. We've been together almost 4 years, so it's not a casual thing. I would rather re-enlist with her support and stay together, so that is why I am trying to put together some things for her to read to better understand. In the end, if she doesn't want to stick around, she can hit the bricks.:evilgrin:

Thanks for the replies so far, keep em' coming:usmc:

Mikewebe
08-30-08, 09:49 PM
I've been with mine 2 years and she is sick to death about it but supports it and her Dad was a Command SgtMaj in the Army 32 years there. She knows so she fears. But If I get approved I'm in