PDA

View Full Version : AAV Questions

BigGunz90
08-30-08, 10:22 AM
Marines,

If you don't already know I signed up for a CE option [hoping to God I get Arty, LAAD, or Tanks]. AAVs don't look like something I really want to do. But in case I do happen to get it, I have some questions pertaining to it if you don't mind.

1.) How is the cameraderie? [Its a big thing for me, one of the main reasons I'm joining].

2.) What are some of the positive aspects of being an AAV crewman?

3.) Is it physical demanding? [I really don't care, I'd PREFER it to be].

4.) Is it fun driving the beast around?

Thanks. Sorry, its just that I don't know much about it and I did do research on it before I asked but I can't find alot on the subject. Thanks!

E3Golf
09-04-08, 04:26 PM
I've lurked here since I was a poolee last year. So this made me sign up to help you. I know so many Marines that had the same attitude with your option. (I'm a reservist so I knew what I was getting.) I wanted to be a grunt for years but it was a no-go in my situation (reserves-my call...). Many of my friends from school wanted to be tankers. Most love how it turned out.

1.) How is the cameraderie? [Its a big thing for me, one of the main reasons I'm joining].

It's really tight. tracks still have squad bays in school, you are forced to get really close. All my closest friends are amtrackers.

2.) What are some of the positive aspects of being an AAV crewman?

What we do, no one else does. We directly support the grunts. There are tons on positives and negatives, you will learn them.

3.) Is it physical demanding? [I really don't care, I'd PREFER it to be].

You get ran around. I'll leave it at that.

4.) Is it fun driving the beast around?

I miss driving every day. You hit the water and everything gets soaked, hit the beach and drive through some crazy ruts and ditches and up a tight mountain path. You literally turn on a dime. I love it.

YAT-YAS

Achped
09-04-08, 04:29 PM
E3Golf, you know the reserve station in Tampa, FL? 4th Amphib Assault BN?

E3Golf
09-04-08, 04:30 PM
Yes, I'm new there.