PDA

View Full Version : Con artists troll for patriotic consumers

Devildogg4ever
05-20-03, 03:12 AM
I know some have seen this, but I still think people need to take notice! It never ceases to amaze me what people will do or use to make the "almighty dollar"!

Con artists troll for patriotic consumers

When U.S. troops shipped out to Iraq, con artists headed for Americans' wallets, using patriotism to make a profit.

Unfortunately, this is not a new phenomenon. "Fraud perpetrators pick newsworthy events to trigger interest in their marketing ploys," says Ken Hunter, president and CEO of the Council of Better Business Bureaus.

The latest batch of con artists are profiting off the war effort in a number ways -- from hawking deals on unnecessary survival gear to collecting for bogus charities.

Fake refund fools military families

Another scam targeting military families are callers posing as Internal Revenue Service representatives. A person claiming to be from the IRS calls military family members and says they are entitled to a $4,000 tax refund because their family member is serving in the military. The caller asks for a credit card number to cover a $42 postage fee and gives an IRS toll-free number as a call-back number. While the family member waits for a refund, the scammer is busy making purchases with the credit card. In a variation of this scam, potential victims receive an e-mail that links them to a fake IRS Web site where they are asked to enter their personal and financial information.

Donating to the wrong cause

Some con artists are taking advantage of Americans' compassion by posing as war-related charities or promising their proceeds to war-related charities -- but never delivering.

ivalis
05-20-03, 06:25 PM
President Bush is the ultimate con artist. He's using "patriotism" to get himself reelected.

USMC0311
05-20-03, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by ivalis
President Bush is the ultimate con artist. He's using "patriotism" to get himself reelected.

on the Contrary IV.....Bush has instilled Patriotism in our Country, therefore he will be re-elected.. ole "W" iz grasping an opportunity.

good to see ya still got the anti-attitude Marine...and Never Trust a Bureaucrat.;)

greensideout
05-20-03, 07:33 PM

President Bush is not "using" patriotism, but instead is the catalyst for rejuvenating it.:D

ivalis
05-20-03, 08:08 PM
I tip my hat to the president's marketing department. He managed to take my mind (not really) off of the economy, the enviroment, and absurd tax policies for a little while. We'll see how long he can keep this charade up.

The press has gone AWOL during this administration, which is fitting considering the prez's own history.

I'm gonna miss Ari Fleischer, he's really talented. Imagine he'll go to work selling Bud.

wrbones
05-20-03, 08:17 PM
IV, if yer gonna be a subversive, ya gotta be a little more discreet! LMAO. How ya doin' Marine!

greensideout
05-20-03, 08:26 PM

I'm gonna miss Ari Fleischer, he's really talented. Imagine he'll go to work selling Bud.

I think we'll all miss him. He was a fine example of the quality of people that Bush put to work in his administration.

If Ari Fleischer begins to sell Buds, I'll buy and we can tip a few to celebrate Bush's re-election.

ivalis
05-20-03, 08:52 PM
Bones, still kind of a free country (wait till Patriot Act II). Where else can ya call the prez a butt head.

We still got a couple of years before the thought police become a part of the Homeland Security Dept. This administration has become so Orwelian that I just can't believe it.

The most recent example of "newspeak" is the Forestry Protection Bill that just passed in Congress. I calls for the logging of the National Forests, go figure.

I can believe that the neo-cons are getting away with it as the populace, with notable exceptions, has become illiterate as well as decadent.

arzach
05-20-03, 11:31 PM
Bones, still kind of a free country (wait till Patriot Act II). Where else can ya call the prez a butt head.

We still got a couple of years before the thought police become a part of the Homeland Security Dept. This administration has become so Orwelian that I just can't believe it.

The most recent example of "newspeak" is the Forestry Protection Bill that just passed in Congress. I calls for the logging of the National Forests, go figure.

I can believe that the neo-cons are getting away with it as the populace, with notable exceptions, has become illiterate as well as decadent.

Don't be worried about the 'Thought Police' botherin' you ivalis, BS don't count. Suppose you'd feel more bettah with no protective apparatus in place...mebbe we'll just have islamic jihad or al-qaeda blow your house up instead of say, a nuclear power facility.

Guess it's your right to dissent, seems tho, that if the Patriot Act or Homeland Security Dept. wasn't in place...you'd be bi**hin' because no body was doin' enough to protect your rusty can...

And you are the sole surviving 'literate' in the general population? Get down off yer lefty soapbox...

wrbones
05-21-03, 01:23 AM
IV's smart enough and educated, too.. Ya just gotta call him on stuff is all! LOL. The thought police been comin' fer awhile now. Neo-Cons had nuthin' to do with any of it. Democrats got took over by the far left and gave up bein' liberals. What else were good American Democrats to do? Now they're derisively referred to as neo-cons by the leftys. Left wing forestry policies didn't work. The Black Hills alone nearly burned to the ground last year over their use of the legal system to shut down dozens of local logging contractors and mills. Hundreds of people put out of work. The economy of half a state put in the ****ter. It took more than two decades for the area to even begin to recover. It'll be a couple of decades more before it does...maybe. The lefties never thought about all of the hungry kids or Dad's and Moms havin' to work in minimum wage jobs and losing their homes when the best payin' jobs for hundreds of miles were taken away beause of Greenpeace and the Sierra Club and like outfits. For the Past hundred years the Black Hills has had more timber than it has ever had in geological history. This was not due to environmental concerns or legislation, but due to proper use and care of the timber. 400,000 acres burnt in less than three years kinda affects the habitat don't you think? Something that could have been avoided without all of the courts and yuppies who've decided who gets to work and who gets to decide how to manage tens of millions of acres of land and habitat they've never seen.

Decadence goes to lefty's side of the ledger. Who else would take it upon himself, privately, to to ruin human lives and hundreds of thousands of acres of habitat... and that's just in one small part of one state.

The Patriot Act is kinda scary when ya look at it a bit. It does seem strange that both the far left and the far right are raisin' hell about it. Myself, I've seen it comin' since I was a kid. Everyone wants what they want and to hell with everyone else. What's left for the government to do about such a situation. More friggin' laws is all the government has left. Now we have to live with it or stage a revolution.

The government was more Orwellian to me under the Democrats, though.

Just an opinion.

Bones

Barndog
05-21-03, 05:35 AM
If dubya gets re-elected, my ass is movin to Canada, or Outer Mongolia.

End of Statement.

Barndog
05-21-03, 05:37 AM
That aint Right or Left. Thats FACT.

arzach
05-21-03, 07:20 AM
Don't know BarnDog, if ya don't care fer Dubya...who comes to the front? I didn't care for him at first, wasn't till after 9/11 that he impressed me at all. Thinkin' tho, if Gore had been elected, we'd be in far worse shape...there'd have been more 9/11's, not to say something of that magnatude can't happen again...The US is far too large and it's wide open, there are, in my opinion, many 'terror' cells operating here. They need to be rooted out, and destroyed...Best way to acomplish this? Other than by the means provided by the Patriot Act, I don't know.

We have, as a population, been giving up personal freedoms for so long I can't remember. Anytime someone gets 'offende', a law is enacted, poof, there goes another freedom...only thing we're really free to, is work till we drop and pay taxes...and the left winger dummycratz don't want either one to stop.

lakers
05-21-03, 09:09 AM
Bush is the Man, He's doing a Fine job, and I hope he gets elected for another term. He can set this Country stright. My opinion.
Lisa

firstsgtmike
05-21-03, 09:24 AM
I am NOT stepping into a political argument, but I will make three predictions.

1. Bush will be reelected in 2004. The democrats don't have anyone strong enugh to beat him.

2. Cheney has said he wil be on the ticket as VP. Unless the Republicans get on the stick and start grooming and pushing someone forward, the Democrats will win the White House in 2008.

3. Barndog will opt for Canada and not Outer Mongolia for two reasons. (a.) Outer Mongolia has limited Internet access. (b) It will be easier tp move back from Canada in 2008.

ALSO: IF Davis is impeached in California, Schwarznegger will be the next Governor.

arzach
05-21-03, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by firstsgtmike
I am NOT stepping into a political argument, but I will make three predictions.

1. Bush will be reelected in 2004. The democrats don't have anyone strong enugh to beat him.

2. Cheney has said he wil be on the ticket as VP. Unless the Republicans get on the stick and start grooming and pushing someone forward, the Democrats will win the White House in 2008.

3. Barndog will opt for Canada and not Outer Mongolia for two reasons. (a.) Outer Mongolia has limited Internet access. (b) It will be easier tp move back from Canada in 2008.

ALSO: IF Davis is impeached in California, Schwarznegger will be the next Governor.

Can't argue Top, ya covered it pretty well...Scares me about '08 is billary...Lord help us if that banshee gits in! Cheney mite not make it thru another term, health ain't real good now..we mite get another 'appointment' ala Gerald Ford....

greensideout
05-21-03, 04:06 PM
You sure know how to stir up a Hornets' nest IV.

Maybe it's time to go to Canada on another fishing trip.

Be sure to take Barndog along, I think he's shopping for real estate. LMAO!

CplDawson
05-21-03, 06:22 PM

THE SEDITION ACT OF JULY 14, 1798

SEC. 2. And be it further enacted, That if any person shall write, print, utter or publish, or shall cause or procure to be written, printed, uttered or publishing, or shall knowingly and willingly assist or aid in writing, printing, uttering or publishing any false, scandalous and malicious writing or writings against the government of the United States, or either house of the Congress of the United States, or the President of the United States, with intent to defame the said government, or either house of the said Congress, or the said President, or to bring them, or either of them, into contempt or disrepute; or to excite against them, or either or any of them, the hatred of the good people of the United States, or to excite any unlawful combinations therein, for opposing or resisting any law of the United States, or any act of the President of the United States, done in pursuance of any such law, or of the powers in him vested by the constitution of the United States, or to resist, oppose, or defeat any such law or act, or to aid, encourage or abet any hostile designs of any foreign nation against the United States, their people or government, then such person, being thereof convicted before any court of the United States having jurisdiction thereof, shall be punished by a fine not exceeding two thousand dollars, and by imprisonment not exceeding two years.

:marine: How about a citizens arrest! LMAOL:devious:

CplDawson
05-21-03, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Barndog
If dubya gets re-elected, my ass is movin to Canada, or Outer Mongolia.

End of Statement.

I'll fly out there and pack you out!

I guess you long for the day's of Bill Clinton who went to Canada to avoid the draft...Must be all those frenchies living in Canada!
:bunny:

USMC0311
05-21-03, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by CplDawson

I'll fly out there and pack your trader butt out!

I guess you long for the day's of Bill Clinton who went to Canada like yourself to avoid the draft...Must be all those frenchies living in Canada!
:bunny:

a suggestion Marine.

don't throw stones if ya don't know who yer throwin stones at.

I Know Barndog personally and he is One Outstanding, Gung Ho, Hard ass Marine.

Semper Fi, cherry boy;)

CplDawson
05-21-03, 06:44 PM
Throwing stones like he's doing......about the President of the United States.

A hard ass! A hard ass would instead of going to Canada try standing his ground, and trying to make a difference. By actually giving facts as to why George W. Bush should not be re-elected and spreading anti-American President hate.

He has the right to speak his mind, as well as do I!:marine:

CplDawson
05-21-03, 06:48 PM
In as far as being a cherry! I would still be in if some boot camper had not hit the wrong switch while I was on top of my CH46 and knocked me from the top where I broke my back!

I wish like hell I was still in there and would have helped kick ass for our great President and the cause of the Iraqi people....

I tottaly resent the fact that you would throw stones check the plank in your own eye!:mad:

USMC0311
05-21-03, 06:49 PM
Throwing stones like he's doing......about the President of the United States.

A hard ass! A hard ass would instead of going to Canada try standing his ground, and trying to make a difference. By actually giving facts as to why George W. Bush should not be re-elected and spreading anti-American President hate.

He has the right to speak his mind, as well as do I!:marine:

the statement I made was intended to give you a Heads-up Corporal. Believe Me I think everyone has the right to say **** You to anyone anytime. Just be ready for a reaction. And Life goes on

USMC0311
05-21-03, 06:53 PM
In as far as being a cherry! I would still be in if some boot camper had not hit the wrong switch while I was on top of my CH46 and knocked me from the top where I broke my back!

I wish like hell I was still in there and would have helped kick ass for our great President and the cause of the Iraqi people....

I tottaly resent the fact that you would throw stones check the plank in your own eye!:mad:

you too funny GI.. you dinki dow moween.

AND pleeze don't whine about not coverin yer "6 "

nuther suggestion....don't bite off more than you can chew boot ;)

Semper Fi, New Guy:D

CplDawson
05-21-03, 06:53 PM
Just ask the Dixie Chicks! Tim Robbins! Danny Glover ! and Susan Serandon! LMAOL

USMC0311
05-21-03, 06:55 PM
Just ask the Dixie Chicks! Tim Robbins! Danny Glover ! and Susan Serandon! LMAOL

personally I'm a fonda hater...nun these new traitors hold a candle to the urinal target fonda

CplDawson
05-21-03, 06:55 PM
Enough of the childish insults. Marines a band of brothers until they **** you off and then we stab each other in the back!

That is one of things about family I just can't stand..........

:eek:

wrbones
05-21-03, 06:58 PM
You boys play nice now. ;)

USMC0311
05-21-03, 07:00 PM
Well one thing is for sure I was smart enough to go Wing!

How do spell MARINE?

Morine
Mirine
helll with it!
GRUNT!

you oughta get along with Barndog. He is a Winger...and as far as yer brains go MoFo...I got wall to wall BALLS. and I'm alive and kickin:yes:

Yes Sgt Bonsteel I will play nice;)

CplDawson
05-21-03, 07:09 PM
I never said I was not alive and kicking..

I'm out there working and trying to get back into shape to go back in!

MoFo?....sad, very sad...A little insecure about things! Lack of brains so you hope your balls will compensate? Not in the real world though!

USMC0311
05-21-03, 07:15 PM
I never said I was not alive and kicking..

I'm out there working and trying to get back into shape to go back in!

MoFo?....sad, very sad...A little insecure about things! Lack of brains so you hope your balls will compensate? Not in the real world though!

Young Man, :lick: if you only knew. maybe I'm gettin old or maybe I'm cutting you some slack. We are different era Marines, but nun the less we are Brothers. Semper Fidelis, Marine. Good luck with your shaping back up.

arzach
05-21-03, 07:39 PM
Yer hammerin' the wrong Marine. Keep yippin' and ya might git yer butt handed to ya....least of all, quarterdecked...0311's givin' ya a heads-up Boot, far as bein' a winger...ain't nuthin' there ta brag about....git down, git dirty...then talk to me.

Now you wanna call it 'back-stabbing', go ahead....DoZo...MoFo

CplDawson
05-21-03, 07:40 PM
USMC0311,

I just checked out your web site and I give you much respect you are part of the History of the Marine Corps that I joined to become a part of, the stories of people like you that I have read about and have admired for years, and a part of the History that i had hope to cut for myself.

I say History not to make you feel old, but out of Pride and Heritage that is the Corps....

To all of you who have served and have commented on this post and my statments I extend the same gratitude for your efforts and sacrafices and those of whom served and died at your side.

oooh raaah men and yes Semper Fidelis Brothers!

Also note out of that Respect, Honor, Courage and since that yes this is a family and a band of brothers, I have ammended most of my comments!

greensideout
05-21-03, 07:47 PM
Reading this reminds me of the days of living in a squad bay.

At lights out two Marines would begin to out do each other with verbal insults.

We all laughed ourselfs to sleep.

And again----I'm LMAO!

CplDawson
05-21-03, 07:51 PM
I think no matter what era you served some things never change!

Brothers will always have a love hate relationship and nothing develops bonds like a good verbal joust.

I hope to spend more time here and learn more about the history of the people on this web site.

Arzach you served 4 I served 4 guess that makes both of us boots (respectfully) yours just have a lot more miles Sarg!:marine:

USMC0311
05-21-03, 08:00 PM

Brothers will always have a love hate relationship and nothing develops bonds like a good verbal joust.

I hope to spend more time here and learn more about the history of the people on this web site.

Arzach you served 4 I served 4 guess that makes both of us boots (respectfully) yours just have a lot more miles Sarg!:marine:

Yer on the right track Brother. We are wtf it Is. You have come to the best Marine site on the Net. Thank You for carrying on the Tradition.

CplDawson
05-21-03, 08:04 PM
My 5yr old is next in line he kicked the damn army recrutiers out of the house said "we are a MARINE FAMILY!"

arzach
05-21-03, 08:05 PM

You'll do fine Dawson...these boots I wear have traveled far, same as a lot of Marines that I am 'boot' to.....

CplDawson
05-21-03, 08:07 PM
No words just a smile on my face!

USMC0311
05-21-03, 08:12 PM
No words just a smile on my face!

a **** eatin grin...cuz yer ass didn't get smashed Marine.;)
Like I said...This IS the BEST Marine site on the NET:yes:

USMC0311
05-21-03, 08:14 PM
BTW Cpl Dawson...WELCOME to Leatherneck.com