PDA

View Full Version : Now I know what my husband goes through

thedrifter
08-29-08, 08:21 AM
Now I know what my husband goes through
Comments | Recommend
August 29, 2008 - 12:48AM
MOLLY DEWITT

I can now officially say I have walked a mile in my husband's combat boots, so to speak. And I've got the bumps, burns and bruises to prove it.

I recently donned some camouflage pants, my husband's flak jacket and Kevlar helmet and took part in "Jane Wayne Day." Along with about 20 other women, I spent the day experiencing (read: enduring) some of the things our beloved Marines have to go through.

We spent the day shooting, climbing, sliding, riding, chowing and boating. We were "issued gear" just like the real Marines and we got to ride in style in a 7-ton truck. I use the term "truck" lightly because it was basically a giant metal frame with wheels that was covered in a tarp. No seat belts and definitely no AC. Every time we rode in the truck, the wearing of a helmet and flak were required, which only added to the difficulty of getting in and out of the beast of a vehicle. It required a group effort just to get one of us in or out of the things and I remain surprised that no Marines were harmed in the process. I know my shins were.

Part of the morning was spent at the shooting range, where we were given the chance to shoot 15 rounds out of an M-4 rifle. I surprised myself by not only landing all 15 shots on the target, but actually getting 10 of them in the bull's-eye area. I again, am surprised no Marines or innocent bystanders were harmed during this scenario, either. Who would have thought more than 20 women, many of whom had never handled a weapon before, would be able to successfully shoot REAL ammunition with no injuries to be had? I guess I should give my gender a little more credit.

For me, the most important part of the day was spent at the repel exercise. I have an extreme fear of heights but was determined to make my husband proud - I wasn't going to be the wife who sat out. And I didn't. I climbed the ladder, my heart racing and my palms sweating. By the time it was my turn to have my harness hooked up to the repelling rope, I thought I was going to pass out from nervousness, but I knew this was my moment. Before I knew it, my moment was over and I had safely repelled 50-feet to the ground - without even throwing up. I did, however, manage to get a nasty case of rope burn to take home as a souvenir.

Our final experience of the day was a boat ride. It sounds leisurely, right? I think most would agree when I say that Marines don't do anything leisurely. This boat ride was no exception. In groups of six we boarded several Zodiac boats, which are basically giant inner tubes with motors. You sit on the side and hang on to a rope and hope to all things good you don't fall out. Well, apparently I didn't hope quite enough, because before I knew it, I was in the extremely salty water. And can we just talk about how it is not very easy to swim with clothing and tennis shoes on, even if you have a life vest? I would also like to mention how impossible it is to get back INTO these boats once you have vacated them. Some poor Marine was forced to go underwater and allow me to stand on him and hoist myself back into our little vessel, as I laughed like a drunken sailor the entire time. I figured someone had to fall out the boat, it might as well have been me.

After the boat shenanigans, we wrapped it up for the day. Each participant received a certificate, a T-shirt and a coin from the unit to take home. But I took home so much more than that. I came away with an extreme sense of pride in myself for completing the repelling exercise even though heights are my greatest fear. I also took home a better understanding about who my husband is and what he goes through which helped me to understand just that much more, why he is my hero.

Molly K. DeWitt is the government reporter at The Daily News. Although she thought it was hilarious when she got thrown off the boat, she still doesn't want her husband to throw her in the pool. Contact her at 910-219-8455 or mdewitt@freedomenc.com.

Ellie

UsmcMotorT
09-14-08, 04:52 PM
This sounds like an awesome deal. I wonder if it's a regular thing or not, I emailed the author to find out. I'd love for my wife to see the things Marines do.