PDA

View Full Version : Eighteen and in the Marines

thedrifter
08-29-08, 06:00 AM
Eighteen and in the Marines

YO! Youth Outlook Multmedia, Commentary//, Chris Vargas, Posted: Aug 28, 2008

Editors Note: While national enlistment for Army and Marine forces have gone up slightly in the last two years. The Marine have garnered increasing popularity among inner city youth. This is primarily because of newly expanded enlistment bonuses being offered to young people. YO! sat down with one young Marine recruit to find out his motivation for joining the armed forces. Chris Vargas, 19, is a content producer at YO! Youth Outlook Multimedia.

SAN FRANCISCO -- I first met Josue Hernandez in High School. We attended the same high school in San Francisco, John O’Connell. He is Salvadorian and he lives in the Excelsior District with his parents.

Right after high school, on his 18th birthday, he enlisted himself into the Marines Corp. As long as I’ve known Josue I have noticed that he always stays fit and takes care of his body. He has participated in many sports including wrestling, track and baseball. Sometimes after school I’d see him running laps around the yard.

Josue likes to wear bland colors in his clothing and seemed like a very loyal and trustworthy person. When he told me he was going to the Marines I was amazed. I don’t think he really knows what he was getting into. Although he was very strong and fit he was a little slow to understand things.

Honestly I think he got tricked into joining. He grew up into a poor family and he use to tell me how he bought all his clothes and he held his own. I never met his family but the way he describes them, they seem like the strict type. I think he learned discipline real young and felt he was ready. I think he was ready physically but not quite mentally. I think the seriousness of his decision will hit him when he really gets out there on the battlefield.

One thing I did notice about him is that he was very independent. Josue told me that one of the reasons he is joining the marines is because when he turns 18 he is getting kicked out of his house – he also desires to go to college. I think he’ll do well. He has the right attitude and I think in the end he feel a lot better about himself being on his own.

Video

http://news.newamericamedia.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=1c3f370b97c62cef686b9 6c236e2c2c5&from=rss

Ellie