thedrifter
08-29-08, 05:40 AM
Learn to be a Marine, pilgrim
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
‘Jane Wayne Day’ teaches women about the military
August 29, 2008 - 12:59AM
AMANDA HICKEY
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Kristy Saile has been with her fiance, Gunnery Sgt. Scott Ginger, for four years. Thursday, she experienced what a day in his life is like.

When Saile had the opportunity to head to the 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion for Jane Wayne Day, she was ready to see firsthand what it is that Ginger does.

"Seeing it allows you to visualize it a lot better when hes telling his stories," she said after shooting a M240 Bravo machine gun.

Jane Wayne Day is an opportunity for wives, girlfriends, fiancees and mothers to get first-hand experience of what their Marine or sailor does, said 1st Lt. Troy Mitchell, who organized the day.

Among the ladies experiences of the day were insertions and extractions, including propelling and a ride in a Zodiac boat, engaging weapons, a trip to the chow hall and a complimentary meal ready to eat (MRE).

"I think it'll set the standard for home cooking," Lt. Col. Lawrence Landon joked.

Landon not only saw the perks for the ladies experiencing their loved ones work experience, but also saw a chance to meet his Marines and sailors support network.

"(Thursday was) to give you a little appreciation of what your husband, son, boyfriend does every day," he told the group of about 30 women before they loaded up into trucks and began their expedition.

And appreciation is just what the women got.

"I don't think I could do this in the heat like the guys do," Lynn Healey, whose husband Maj. E.J. Healey is in 2nd Recon, said while donning her husbands camouflage uniform, flak jacket and Kevlar helmet. "Just sitting in the truck going somewhere, I thought if you're prone to motion sickness, this is horrible."

Jane Wayne Day, Healey said, is also a chance for the women to get to know one another.

"It's having fun together and creating a bond," she said, explaining that many of her civilian friends wouldn't know how to bond over shooting off various guns.

Others think its time for the men to see what a day in their life is like.

"I already said (to Ginger) I want you to come to work with me next week," Saile, a trauma nurse at New Hanover Regional Hospital, said with a laugh.

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow County reporter Amanda Hickey at ahickey@freedomenc.com or 910-219-8461. Visit www.jdnews.com to comment on this report.

Ellie