PDA

View Full Version : Gym Exercises/Workouts

introspect
08-29-08, 05:35 AM
Hey guys. I usually don't make new topics (always use the search function) but I couldn't search "gym" in the search thing only exercises and workouts, and I didn't find much.

I just want your opinion on what exercises help the most that you can do at a gym. I know little to nothing on which workouts I should do or which work outs or machines work out what. I have many months to go before Recruit Training and I'm really looking to get stronger in the arms back and legs.. I don't need to lose any weight or anything just looking to get stronger. I just want like a circuit and which days I should do them on which machines to use, anything!

Any help will be appreciated :banana:

alauver
08-29-08, 08:27 AM
I could hook you up with a plan. I have been on about 3-4 different plans and stayed consistently on those for about 6 months for each plan. All had good results. I could type out a longgg plan here or you could PM me and I can send you one back.

First off, how old are you? From your post it seems you have not used free weights before, so do you have a gym member ship? Other than arms, back, and legs, would you like to get stronger in other body parts?

Checkout crossfit.com, and bodybuilding.com. Both have forum sections where you can find lots of information.

Chumley
08-29-08, 08:41 AM
Weight training is great. I'd recommend to talk to any of the trainers at your local gym, and follow the suggestions on the links posted earlier.

I always recommend that you cross train in a variety of fitness routines. Great example: I'm renovating my house and last weekend I was doing a bunch of detail work on the floors and baseboards in my kitchen. I'm in pretty good shape overall right now, but I was stiff the next day because I was doing unfamiliar tasks.

So round out by balancing some athletic sports, hit the gym, do aerobics, take martial arts, swim, run and STRETCH no matter what. In my teens and 20's I needed much less stretching than I do now at 38. Do something everyday, as well as maintain a regular program 2-5 days a week. Stretching lessens the likelihood of many muscle injuries and a few minutes a day goes a long way. I've found that stretching the torpso and hips is the biggest thing for me. Legs and arms are used more regularly and are generally more fit with less emphasis.
Good Luck!
C

introspect
08-29-08, 03:09 PM
I could hook you up with a plan. I have been on about 3-4 different plans and stayed consistently on those for about 6 months for each plan. All had good results. I could type out a longgg plan here or you could PM me and I can send you one back.

First off, how old are you? From your post it seems you have not used free weights before, so do you have a gym member ship? Other than arms, back, and legs, would you like to get stronger in other body parts?

Checkout crossfit.com, and bodybuilding.com. Both have forum sections where you can find lots of information.

Thanks for the replies you too :] and yes, I have the gym membership that's why I was looking for some sort of plan like on Mon. 3x8 reps in this machine with this much weight or things like that. Maybe I can find that on that website you showed me.

Oh and I'm 17, female, and about 105 lbs.

Thanks for all the help! I never knew how important stretching was :p

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-29-08, 06:29 PM
The amount of weight you use is based on your current strength levels. For a beginner it is wise to start with three sets of 10 to 12 repetitions of a weight you could probably use to do 15 repetitions.

Focus on the compound lifts that involve the larger muscle groups. Bench presses, squats, dead lifts, and power cleans should be the staples of any weight lifting routine.

Garrett90
08-31-08, 10:30 PM
look up the big beyond belief workout routine. im on it right now and ive gotten MASSIVE changes..and my brother was on it before and improved his bench press over 75 pounds in 4 weeks. you have to stay committed to it. it tells you what body part to work, how many reps, how many sets, and how long to rest in between each set. BUT it allows you to pick what type of lift you want to do for that body part. It doesnt say CHEST-FLAT BENCH.... It says CHEST, and YOU pick what type of workout you want for your chest that day. i add more workouts inbetween each session since the program doesnt work a large variety of body parts. (ex. there are no workouts for your traps in the program, so i add in sets of shrugs on power days.) and of course you have to add in the pull ups. The program calls for you to work out every other day, so on my "off days" i run, do abs (even though abs are included in the program), and i do pull ups. It advises you not to do any other sort of workouts while on this one, so i stay away from push ups on my days off because i do a lot of flat, incline, and decline bench, but ill still do a few sets of push ups as a warm up before bench. Great thing about the program is it takes no more than 55 minutes a day, and it advises you AGAINST going over 55 minutes. Its high reps, as much weight as you can, and its real fast. Follow it by the book and your overall body gets a lot stronger.

introspect
09-01-08, 06:31 AM
look up the big beyond belief workout routine. im on it right now and ive gotten MASSIVE changes..and my brother was on it before and improved his bench press over 75 pounds in 4 weeks. you have to stay committed to it. it tells you what body part to work, how many reps, how many sets, and how long to rest in between each set. BUT it allows you to pick what type of lift you want to do for that body part. It doesnt say CHEST-FLAT BENCH.... It says CHEST, and YOU pick what type of workout you want for your chest that day. i add more workouts inbetween each session since the program doesnt work a large variety of body parts. (ex. there are no workouts for your traps in the program, so i add in sets of shrugs on power days.) and of course you have to add in the pull ups. The program calls for you to work out every other day, so on my "off days" i run, do abs (even though abs are included in the program), and i do pull ups. It advises you not to do any other sort of workouts while on this one, so i stay away from push ups on my days off because i do a lot of flat, incline, and decline bench, but ill still do a few sets of push ups as a warm up before bench. Great thing about the program is it takes no more than 55 minutes a day, and it advises you AGAINST going over 55 minutes. Its high reps, as much weight as you can, and its real fast. Follow it by the book and your overall body gets a lot stronger.

Thanks I'll look it up and take a look :] alauver helped me out with a good routine too.

Thanks so much everyone!

coltie52
09-01-08, 10:55 AM
Squat, Bench press, Incline Press, Lat Pull downs, Shoulder Shrugs, Lunges, Quad Extension, Ham extension. All Free Weights. I used to weight lift I did a lot more then just that but if you are looking to get stronger that'll do it.
Also high weight Low Reps is more for gaining Mass, Low weight High Rep will be more for Toning and some what endurance.
Good luck
Colten

Garrett90
09-01-08, 11:03 AM
The Big Beyond Belief program I was talking about earlier as all what coltie said above, and a little more. All I have in my garage is a bench, squat rack, barbells, dumbbells and a bunch of Cadillac weights, and I can get the entire workout and then some, done all in my garage. First half of the week is all endurance, middle of the week is power, end of the week is strength.

Mikewebe
09-01-08, 12:25 PM
All are good advice but one thing I wish I would have done was circuit training. That was the hardest for me, those two minute sessions for about 20 minutes wore me out.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-01-08, 12:33 PM
When you're looking at things like Bigger Beyond Belief it is important to remember that there is a difference between functional strength and "show" strength. Being able to throw up 500 pounds, or look incredible in a most muscular pose are both great, but they won't do much for you as a Marine.

Your core should be your number one priority. After that, back, chest, and legs are the areas you want to work. "Bigger" isn't the goal though. You want to be stronger without carrying too much mass. (Remember, running/humping are both big parts of being a Marine and more mass makes you weaker in those areas.) You have to do everything in balance.

jrhd97
09-01-08, 03:50 PM
Be sure that you do not sacrifice body weight strength for weight strength. Many people get involved lifting weights for strength and neglect important exercises like dips, pull ups, chin ups, push ups, crunches, leg raises and all the other calestetics. Weight strength is good until you realize that you can't do 4 pull ups.

Mikewebe
09-01-08, 04:00 PM
Bill Phillips Body For Life is also an excellent program. Lots to do so if you don't have a lot of time it maybe not for you

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-01-08, 06:17 PM
Body For Life is a great program, it it doesn't take as much time as most other workouts people throw around. You'll never workout for more than an hour (I don't recall, I think the upper body workout is about 30 minutes and the lower a little longer.) I'd recommend you do more cardio and make it representative of what you'll do in the Marine Corps. If you're trying to look good and be healthy, 20 minutes of "high point" cardio or HIIT stuff is great. If you have to run a PFT it is wise to think about running distance for time.

For what its worth, I've come across a new program I love. If you're not shipping too soon, this is good stuff (http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=workout.plans&conitem=9cd999edbbbd201099edbbbd2010cfe793cd____). (The first phase won't kill you, but by the end of the 10 months you'll be amazed.)

Mikewebe
09-01-08, 07:15 PM
I was more or less referring to the cooking and meal replacements and stuff. I was fortunate I could eat at work whenever, but I worked alot of overtime. So I would end up making 6 meals at a time enough for 2 days, not counting shakes and power bars and all that

clippyhater
09-01-08, 10:19 PM
Sorry to intrude, just thought you might be interested in this fairly inexpensive book: http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html

Pretty much all body weight exercises and concentration on functional fitness (sort of like crossfit.com). I think if you can master the concepts in that book, and truly apply them, that you'll probably be ready for just about anything.