PDA

View Full Version : Good Evening Gentlemen

Curiel
08-28-08, 08:27 PM
Gentlemen,
In your eyes, what commissioning route makes the best officers?
I am a senior in high school, and I have always been interested in the Marine Corps. I searched this topic already, and found nothing, but if its already been addressed, I apologize. Thank you.

sparkie
08-28-08, 08:52 PM
Up from the ranks,,,,,, Very hard to acheve, but a real Marine. Like Chesty.

Curiel
08-28-08, 08:54 PM
Thank you sir.

ecfree
08-28-08, 09:09 PM
Mustangs,good to go....:evilgrin:

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-28-08, 09:13 PM
I disagree. I worked for one Mustang- he was the worst officer I ever came into contact with.

I personally liked officers that went to military schools, but not academies. The Citadel, Texas A&M, VMI, Va Tech, etc. You still go to OCS, you get the benefit of an education geared towards being a military officer, and at a couple of them you get pretty decent football to watch- winning situation there!

JordanB
08-29-08, 02:55 AM
If I could go back I would have finished college and gone in as an officer if you've got that option go for it. It is true that if you start enlisted and get a commission after 4 years you will have a better perspective of how the Corps runs and it will more then likely give you better character as an officer, but its a very hard route to take and I've seen alot of officers, even boot assed butterbars who wern't ever enlisted who were pretty damn good at what they do.

MyCorps
08-29-08, 09:36 AM
I disagree. I worked for one Mustang- he was the worst officer I ever came into contact with.

I personally liked officers that went to military schools, but not academies. The Citadel, Texas A&M, VMI, Va Tech, etc. You still go to OCS, you get the benefit of an education geared towards being a military officer, and at a couple of them you get pretty decent football to watch- winning situation there!

There are Shiitebirds at every level. Of course I an biased toward the Mustangs. I don't believe any single course of action makes a good Officer. Does it start from birth? Or depend on the way an individual is raised? I don't really know. It has to be a pure desire to become one of the best the Marine Corps (or any branch) has to offer. Being a good or great Officer is something inside you. Sure, military schools and academies can give you the tools. You have to have it in you to use these tools properly that makes the difference. I am sure there is a lot of debate to this and that is good, that promotes growth.
Again, there are shiitebirds at every level regardless of where they come from or how they got to the Officer Corps.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-29-08, 02:31 PM
Sir, I'm sure you are correct. Honestly though, I like to think that there aren't that many birds in the officer ranks. The screening process seems to eliminate much of the problems, but that is just looking in from the outside.

I do believe it is probably something you're born with. Of course, by the time you move beyond the gold bar, there isn't much that your schooling would have to do with what type of officer you are. By that point it would seem that the type of person, their character, and how they learn from their experience would be most important.

Curiel
08-29-08, 03:27 PM
Your time and input is greatly appreciated gentlemen. Now I know being a good Marine Corps officer is more about character and heart than how you get pinned.
One quick question:

What is a s---bird?
Thank You

jarheadlady
08-29-08, 05:57 PM
I'm not allowed to answer this thread. I am not a gentleman..

Fubar5812
08-29-08, 06:58 PM
Your time and input is greatly appreciated gentlemen. Now I know being a good Marine Corps officer is more about character and heart than how you get pinned.
One quick question:

What is a s---bird?
Thank You

just another one of countless names for Marines who don't carry there weight or in the eyes of there subordinates, misuse there authority or are incompetent.

Isrowei
08-29-08, 07:19 PM
There are Shiitebirds at every level. Of course I an biased toward the Mustangs. I don't believe any single course of action makes a good Officer. Does it start from birth? Or depend on the way an individual is raised? I don't really know. It has to be a pure desire to become one of the best the Marine Corps (or any branch) has to offer. Being a good or great Officer is something inside you. Sure, military schools and academies can give you the tools. You have to have it in you to use these tools properly that makes the difference. I am sure there is a lot of debate to this and that is good, that promotes growth.
Again, there are shiitebirds at every level regardless of where they come from or how they got to the Officer Corps.

I can't improve on that, Sir. Very well said.

Echo, officers are people too. There are crappy ones just like there are crappy NCOs and SNCOs. Time seems to take care of most of them, but it's not a 100% solution. Mustangs seem to have the distinction of being really good.. or being really bad. I have my own theories why, but it would probably be best shared over a brew of choice than over an open forum :)

Curial, the same traits that make superior NCOs and SNCOs.. also make superior officers. Studious application of the principles of leadership, genuine concern for one's fellow Marine, and an intense desire for learning and self-improvement are generic to the making of any good Marine. Set those as your goal and it won't matter what path you take to commissioning. In fact, past TBS.. no one really cares where you went to school. It matters what you're doing and how you're doing it at that point.

Jarheadlady, that was unneccessary and a bit snarky.

jarheadlady
08-29-08, 07:52 PM
Yep thats me... snarky! Perhaps you need to buy a sense of humor!

Isrowei
08-29-08, 07:57 PM
Yep thats me... snarky! Perhaps you need to buy a sense of humor!

I'm waiting for them to go on sale. :marine:

sparkie
08-29-08, 08:01 PM
I'll wait for a fire sale,,, In my humble, and short lived service, I'll take a mustang in my life, but not a WO. Just my experience.

jrhd97
08-29-08, 08:19 PM
One of the best officers I gad was a Mustang. Captain Cowdry.

jarheadlady
08-29-08, 09:09 PM
Mustangers are by far the best officers. They know what it really means to be down in the ditches. I agree Sparkie!

Dave Coup
08-29-08, 09:10 PM
:thumbup:Lt. Gen. P.K. Van Riper! There's a Mustang for you. Another of my favorites was 1st Lt. Baumgardner ( hope I got that right) He was my first Co. C.O. H&S 2nd AT"s 1968. He cut a young PFC a break his first week with the unit. Thanks Mr. Baumgardner wherever you are.:thumbup: