PDA

View Full Version : OCS Eligibility Waiver...

PooleeHunt
08-28-08, 11:48 AM
Ok, so about three months ago I was figuring out what I wanted to do in order to join the Corps. I was basically deciding between becoming an Officer right away and going enlisted. Well one thing led to another, and I thought I wasn't gonna be able to complete school, so I signed a "waiver" that basically waived my eligibility from college credits and my potential degree to apply/go to OCS.
Since then I've been more focused, got some good grades on summer courses and talked with my friend Dan Getchell who just got back from Quantico. Basically, I've decided that I really do want to go through with OCS first. No one "made" me sign that waiver, I understand that, but I would like to go to OCS still before going enlisted. Is this a possibility anymore? Is there any way, like dropping out of DEP and DEP'ing back in next summer with a new agreement all set up for OCS instead? Basically I want to know how rock-solid that contract is since I don't have a copy with me, and if it means I could still apply for OCS. I'll be talking to my recruiter but he's been hard to get a hold of.

pilot37
08-28-08, 12:13 PM
I can tell you right now that the Marines on here are going to want you to fill out your profile before they answer you.

But welcome, and what "waiver" are you talking about? Why would you want to waiver your college eligibility?

PooleeHunt
08-28-08, 12:22 PM
The reasons were complicated, but I was told that in order to go enlisted right away I would have to waive my right to go to OCS. Since I'm a Junior in college I had some kind of guarantee, but I waived that thinking I was gonna go enlisted and drop out of school to complete it later. Regardless, I've changed my mind and want to go to OCS through the regular channels without going enlisted first.

pilot37
08-28-08, 12:33 PM
Ooooooh, gotcha. Makes sense now. I know of one guy that DEPed in, is now in Recruit Training, but will go to college with an NROTC scholarship once he graduates (assuming he does). I think this is because he applied for the scholarship while he was a Poolee and was accepted. But I also know that once you become a Marine, if you have a bachelor's degree you can get a reccomendation from your CO to attend OCS.

But as far as "DEPing out" and then reenlisting next summer, I am pretty sure that they will not like taking someone who previously dropped out. The Corps is not hurting for people and only wants those that are extremely motivated--not to say that you aren't, but it might appear that way down at MEPS.

So in my humble opinion, I think it would be best to finish up college, go to Recruit Training, become a Marine, and then apply for OCS.:)

Isrowei
08-28-08, 12:56 PM
Talk to the OSO in your area. I'm sure they can negotiate the paperwork for you. And no one can force you to accept a contract you don't want. Until you step on Parris Island... it's all open for change.

MyCorps
08-28-08, 01:28 PM
Once again, Isrowei, you offer solid advice. Go to to the local OSO and see what they can do to help.

alauver
08-28-08, 02:47 PM
I was in the same exact situation. I had already DEP'ed in to go enlisted, then I decided that I would like to go through the officer program. When I talked to the OSO and NCOIC, they said they would...

PooleeHunt
08-28-08, 09:40 PM
Thanks, you all helped me out. I'll get the number for my local OSO. I didn't want to waste his time by asking him about something with a definite NO for an answer. I already learned my lesson about wasting a Marine's time from my Gunny Sg. at MEPS. Some dumb**** got his packet a little wet and they had to reprint everything... Yeah, he got an earful.

YutYut
08-28-08, 09:56 PM
The officers are ON IT! Kill, yut, errr!!