PDA

View Full Version : Marines greeted with families' cheers

thedrifter
08-28-08, 08:09 AM
Marines greeted with families' cheers

August 28, 2008

By TODD SHIELDS tshields@pioneerlocal.com

The stone-faced lieutenant colonel barked "Dismissed!" and 325 U.S. Marines broke rank, a wall of desert-biege field uniforms moving forward, melding into open civilian arms awaiting them.

Grandmothers, mothers and young wives wept, and months-old babies ogled fathers for the first time. A freckled Marine bolted for his family seated in the first row and climbed the stadium wall, pulling himself over the railing into bear hugs and shouts.

Filling six buses after landing at Chicago's Midway Airport, two companies of the 2nd Battalion, 24th Marine Regiment returned home to the Chicago area Saturday from the Iraq War. About 2,500 families and friends welcomed them home in a patriotic, emotional and at times delirious revelry at Allstate Arena, Rosemont.

The combat Marines presented wives and mothers with single yellow roses.

The two companies -- Headquarters and Services from Chicago and Weapons from Waukegan -- just finished a seven-month tour in Al-Anbar, West Iraq, and before then had trained in California for five months.

Of 1,100 2nd Battalion personnel, two Marines from Milwaukee were killed in a roadside bomb explosion in April, said Maj. Shannon Wiley.

"The U.S. Marines have always had a good attitude, but Iraq is showing a huge turnaround since mid-2006. It has taken some time, but infrastructure there is returning and we've been training the Iraqi police and army with good results," Wiley said.

At Saturday's homecoming, Brian and Barb Wiebe were among five families from Rolling Meadows with sons in the 2nd Battalion.

Brian Wiebe said he was proud of his sons, Michael, 21, and Brian, 24, who are lance corporals.

"We're very excited. The Marines do such a great job of keeping parents informed on what's going over there and here," he said.

Michael said, "This is one big rush because all we talk about for months is getting home. It finally happened."

Mallory Mulvihill's waited for boyfriend, Lance Cpl. Jon Green. They graduated from Palatine High School in 2003.

"We're very close and not having him around was tough. He's my rock and it's hard when you can't talk to your best friend," she said before the Marines marched in tight columns into the center arena.

Until they broke rank, the Marines were typically all business -- eyes forward, expressionless and unshakable, despite being surrounded by deafening jubilation and flashing cameras.

Cpl. Ken Alvarado, 27, grew up in Skokie and lives in North Chicago. Saturday ended his second tour of duty in Iraq.

"I'm impressed with all people at Allstate Arena. This was just like what happened at my first tour in 2005," he said.

Oak Park resident Mary Schroeder stood with Erin, her daughter-in-law who lives in Schaumburg, waiting for her son to arrive. Cpl. Michael Schroeder, 30, graduated from Oak Park-River Forest High School.

"This is scary as hell. I worry about him all the time, but I'm told the fighting in Iraq is not as dangerous now like it was a few years ago," Mary said.

On the arena floor, war veterans greeted the young men with, "Welcome home, Marine," the traditional reception between enlisted Marines and those no longer serving.

Kate Lind, of Arlington Heights, made a deal with her boyfriend, Cpl. Mike Zuba, a Prospect Heights resident, upon his return.

"He's shaving off his mustache after he gets here and kisses me," laughed Lind, 22.

"I can't describe how I feel, but it's the best day of life. I get to see him again, and all the nerves, anxiety and fear will go away when I look into his eyes and see the person I love," she said.

"Sweet Home, Chicago" played in the arena and homemade banners hung from balcony railings.

"I'm relieved, ecstatic and happy they came home safe," said Sheryl Hurley, whose 19-year-old son, Lance Cpl. William Hurley, graduated from Lake Zurich High School.

Ellie