PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted Opinions on Career Choices.

NaguYen
08-28-08, 03:43 AM
I am leaving for MCRD San Diego 20081027 and I thought I had a job that was best for me. I chose Administration so that I would have time to go to college because I want to become a Helicopter Pilot in the Marine Corps. But I also want to do 0311 because I like to be more hands on and I know I wouldn't be satisfied with Administration. I am just worried that I will miss out on my opportunity to do what I have always dreamed of and become a pilot, but at the same time i'm worried that I won't recieve the experience I had hope to gain in the Marine Corps.

pilot37
08-28-08, 03:50 AM
haha, kind of seems like you've chosen two opposite sides of the spectrum.

Here's what I am planning on, and although I cannot yet speak from experience (leave for Basic Training on Monday :)) I believe it to be a good plan:
1. 5 years enlisted 03xx
2. apply for MECEP (Marine Enlisted Commissioning Education Program)
3. go to college
4. go to OCS and get my commission
5. go to TBS
6. flight School :)

for MECEP you have to be 20 years old and a Cpl.

NaguYen
08-28-08, 03:59 AM

Here's what I am planning on, and although I cannot yet speak from experience (leave for Basic Training on Monday :)) I believe it to be a good plan:
1. 5 years enlisted 03xx
3. go to college
5. go to TBS

That sounds a lot like my plan, but the reason I want to do admin. was so that I was gauranteed time for college. There's always the possibility that I won't get accepted for MECEPS so I wanted to have a back up plan.

Wyoming
08-28-08, 04:04 AM
Yo there expert, click on Basic Training (http://www.goarmy.com/flindex.jsp?#?channel=&video=)

pilot37
08-28-08, 04:11 AM
Yo there expert, click on Basic Training (http://www.goarmy.com/flindex.jsp?#?channel=&video=)
My apologies Cpl, I leave for Recruit Training on Monday :)

NaguYen
08-28-08, 04:53 AM
Yes my apologies as well Cpl. if it was directed at me.

josephd
08-28-08, 05:22 AM
looks like you are gonna be at MCRDSD with myself...October 27th!

sounds like you have a good plan for yourself there

Garrett90
08-28-08, 07:50 AM
Lol I was going to say.....I don't know why my blood boils so bad when people call it basic training. It's something stupid to get so mad over, especially considering I have yet to leave for it, but I get so p1ssed off when I see it called that.

Brewer0311
08-28-08, 08:50 AM
Lol I was going to say.....I don't know why my blood boils so bad when people call it basic training. It's something stupid to get so mad over, especially considering I have yet to leave for it, but I get so p1ssed off when I see it called that.

If anyone has HBO on Demand or HBO you should look for a documentary called "The Recruiter"

It'll show the day to day of an Army recruiter. BUT, it also shows some of their basic training. Compare what it shows to boot camp when you go or Ears Open, Eyeballs Click.

You'll see the reason why so many Marines get ****ed about it.

I about lost my mind when I watched it last night and saw the way they talked to their drill sergeants, acted, sat, and every other aspect.

All-in-all the Army Recruiter was a good guy/solider. He did/does his job well. He motivated and corrected his future soliders. It actually looked like he was harder on them than the drill sergeants at their basic training. Which is sad.

BR34
08-28-08, 09:02 AM
I saw that show a few weeks back. I was shocked to see all the male soldiers cheering the females on as they wrestled. More shocked to see them running around the squad bays going to their wall lockers and getting dressed. MORE shocked when I heard them talking to the drill sgts with so little respect. AND STILL MORE shocked when the special forces candidates were talking to their instructors like they were old college buddies...

Then I remembered what branch of the military I was watching.

Side note: It was cool as **** when they got to do convoy ops on a range and shoot from a moving truck.

MarinesFTW
08-28-08, 09:19 AM

Well just for **** and giggles I watched some of the Armys Basic Training.. My sides hurt from laughing so hard... You cant complete anything without your "battle buddies"

Brewer0311
08-28-08, 09:35 AM
Well just for **** and giggles I watched some of the Armys Basic Training.. My sides hurt from laughing so hard... You cant complete anything without your "battle buddies"

Yeah you have a battle buddy in the Marines too.

YutYut
08-28-08, 10:05 AM

1. 5 years enlisted 03xx
3. go to college
5. go to TBS

Look up MARADMIN 270/08. Paragraph 7 states the following:

7. MARINES APPLYING FOR MECEP MUST MEET ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
PER REF (A) WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE FOLLOWING:
A. MARINES MUST HAVE A MINIMUM OF 1 YEAR OF ACTIVE SERVICE ON
THE CONVENING DATE OF THE BOARD.
B. THERE IS NO MINIMUM PAY GRADE REQUIREMENT.
C. APPLICANTS MUST BE A HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATE OR HAVE PASSED GED
HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL TESTS.
D. APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS A MINIMUM COMBINED SCORE OF 74
OR HIGHER ON THEIR AFQT OR A MINIMUM COMBINED MATH AND CRITICAL
READING SCORE OF 1000 OR HIGHER ON THE SAT OR A MINIMUM COMPOSITE
SCORE OF 22 ON THE ACT TO BE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY. (NO WAIVERS WILL BE
CONSIDERED FOR TEST SCORE REQUIREMENTS.).

That means that you can be a PFC and apply, so long as you meet all the other requirements. Where did you hear you have to be 20 and a Corporal??

cdogg0311
08-28-08, 10:34 AM
that is the new MARADMIN that came out a while back. it was an old MARADMIN that said you had to be atleast a Cpl to do the MECEP program. now i dont know where the age came in at.

YutYut
08-28-08, 10:42 AM
cdogg, rank hasn't been a factor for some time now. At least, not for the last 2-3 years.

cdogg0311
08-28-08, 11:00 AM
hey Yut your right i just looked at the MARADMINS and rank is no issue sorry about the BUM scoop LOL

YutYut
08-28-08, 11:04 AM
It's all good bro

pilot37
08-28-08, 11:26 AM
Look up MARADMIN 270/08. Paragraph 7 states the following:

7. MARINES APPLYING FOR MECEP MUST MEET ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
PER REF (A) WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE FOLLOWING:
A. MARINES MUST HAVE A MINIMUM OF 1 YEAR OF ACTIVE SERVICE ON
THE CONVENING DATE OF THE BOARD.
B. THERE IS NO MINIMUM PAY GRADE REQUIREMENT.
C. APPLICANTS MUST BE A HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATE OR HAVE PASSED GED
HIGH SCHOOL LEVEL TESTS.
D. APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS A MINIMUM COMBINED SCORE OF 74
OR HIGHER ON THEIR AFQT OR A MINIMUM COMBINED MATH AND CRITICAL
READING SCORE OF 1000 OR HIGHER ON THE SAT OR A MINIMUM COMPOSITE
SCORE OF 22 ON THE ACT TO BE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY. (NO WAIVERS WILL BE
CONSIDERED FOR TEST SCORE REQUIREMENTS.).

That means that you can be a PFC and apply, so long as you meet all the other requirements. Where did you hear you have to be 20 and a Corporal??

I heard that from my recruiter and it is also spelled out in his binder with all the opportunities for the Marine Corps that you have to be 20 and a Cpl.
Hmmm.... I'll have to ask him about this one, thanks for the notice. :)

pilot37
08-28-08, 11:35 AM
Just did a little research, and per MCO p1560.15L (http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/naval_science/Forms/MCO%201560.15L.pdf) you have to be Cpl or above between the ages of 20 and 26 by 1 July of the year applying (waiverable if you have prior college credits--they want to commission you by the time you are 30).

Marines, why does the MARADMIN and MCO disagree?

Psurichie
08-28-08, 06:37 PM
Just did a little research, and per MCO p1560.15L (http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/naval_science/Forms/MCO%201560.15L.pdf) you have to be Cpl or above between the ages of 20 and 26 by 1 July of the year applying (waiverable if you have prior college credits--they want to commission you by the time you are 30).

Marines, why does the MARADMIN and MCO disagree?

The Link you have is from 1994 and the MARADMIN That the Marines gave you is 2008. Maybe that has something to do with it.

NaguYen
08-28-08, 10:11 PM
Does anyone know what the acceptance rate for MECEPS is? I'm sorry if its already on the site, but I have researched it and haven't found anything on that subject yet.

YutYut
08-28-08, 10:17 PM
Well, without really answering your question, I can say that it depends on the Marines that apply. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the board doesn't HAVE to accept any packages. If there are 1000 Marines that apply and 3 are considered to be "highly qualified" and the others don't rate, then they may only select 3 Marines.

The short answer from me is, I have no idea what the historical acceptance rate for MECEP is.

Seyborg
08-28-08, 11:17 PM
Well, I'll give my two cents! I was told this by my SDI, and he's the man to know, I would think.

As far as ANY commisioning program goes, you don't NEED a certain rank, but if you want to actually get accepted it helps. Remember, you are competing againts SSgts and Gunnys that have gotten a degree on the side for years. So if you go in as a Lcpl and try it might work but it might not. Hit and miss. Best idea? WORK YOUR ASS OFF IN COLLEGE. Get a 4.0 (FFS it's a community college not Harvard). Show them you don't give a **** if he's a staff sgt, you're better.

Now about the ADMIN and 03xx deal. Seems like everyone has this conflict inside of 'em. In boot the DI's are ALWAYS raggin' on the admin and ALWAYS saying why not infantry or "You don't like to kill do you?"

Don't worry about that ****! You're gonna get combat, and you'll be on a tour! No fear, don't go looking for the fight devil-pup it'll come to you!

Plus, ADMIN *****es are ALWAYS JACKEEEED. They work for 8 hours and then they eat chow and lift! And seriously, WE ALL NEED OUR PAYCHECK!!

Oorah?

Pvt. Seybert Out!

BR34
08-29-08, 09:12 AM
Plus, ADMIN *****es are ALWAYS JACKEEEED. They work for 8 hours and then they eat chow and lift! And seriously, WE ALL NEED OUR PAYCHECK!!

Oorah?

Pvt. Seybert Out!

Whoa now Seybert.

1. There's fat and fit in every MOS. I don't think the job you do really determines that.
2. Don't fall for the "Admin work 9-5" ****, I assure you, they don't. They actually (the ones here at least) work pretty long hours (06-1800 frequently).
3. Admin doesn't pay Marines, Disbo pays Marines.
4. How could you even know this, didn't you just leave the depot like a week ago?

Brewer0311
08-29-08, 12:31 PM
4. How could you even know this, didn't you just leave the depot like a week ago?

He knows becuase he's the saltiest private that has ever lived.

Seyborg
08-29-08, 03:53 PM
I'm just going off what my DI's tell me. I'm also from a Marine family, but they could be wrong too!

I didn't mean to hit ADMIN Marines. They work hard, just as hard as grunts and airwingers.

Not just blowin' smoke, just what I hear from reliable sources.

My bad Marines...:confused:

Semper Fi