PDA

View Full Version : Finances in military

NeedSomePT
08-27-08, 10:17 PM
I ran a search and couldn't find any relevant threads pertaining to this subject.

I am interested to know from any Marines or military members in general any experiences, advice or suggestions about investing money while in the military. Currently I don't have any bills and don't plan on having any (Is interent free while on base?) I also have a rather frugal lifestyle and don't plan on changing that, so I'm expecting most of my paycheck to be able to do whatever I want with it.

Instead of having an inflated checking account wasting money or a savings account which earns me a few cents interest a year I was thinking of investing the money that I won't plan on using for some time. Of course keeping enough on the side for myself and in the case of anything unexpected happening which would require money.

Are there any special investment programs which would be advantageous to military members? If not, is it even a good idea altogether to be investing most of my money, not being able to use most of it for who knows how long? Would there be any other alternatives?

Thank you for any feedback:beer: