PDA

View Full Version : Why Infantry?

Cisco4711
08-27-08, 06:34 PM
Hello everyone. I was wondering why people join the infantry, knowing that they will get nothing in return when they become a civilian. I asked mr Army JROTC instructor who did 20 years of service (MOS infantry). He gave a speech saying that he had joined the military because he thought he was an outsider(loser) throughout his life. But he then said he realized he was very wrong and that the infantry showed him that.
My reason for wanting to do combat is so it can roughen me up and show me some rigors that I will not experience anywhere else. I see that Marine Corps as a life journey where I can learn many things. Combat is something you can't experience anywhere else except the military. My question is this, what motivated you all to do combat? and why?

Seyborg
08-27-08, 07:06 PM
I signed up as infantry because I was tired of working with paper. I'm only 18, fresh out of highschool. I was a 3.8 student and I was already enrolled in college, where I had a full ride to go to! Unfortunatley, I was ready for something new, so I said "buh-bye" to all that jazz.

I wanted something physical, as physical as it got, and plus who else gets to say...Hey I put myself right in the fray. But who is to day radio operators and engineers don't? It's just the heart in ya...I still can't explain it.

I love my job though..not that I have experience. Just talking to ex-infantryman and my DI's got me motivated.

Get ready devil pup. Infantry is hard on your body. Semper Fi.

YutYut
08-27-08, 07:31 PM
Well, there's always physical security, law enforcement, even getting deployed as a civilian to combat zones getting paid near or over six figures (think Blackwater). There may be other rewarding opportunities that I'm not aware of.

Cisco4711
08-27-08, 10:06 PM
YutYut that is true....but then I wouldn't get the title of Marine! lol
Plus....I'm pretty sure Marine combat people are wayy better trained than those you mentioned.... right? lol (i'm pretty sure they are)

sparkie
08-27-08, 10:18 PM
Go get it,,, Ricky. OMG.

YutYut
08-28-08, 06:40 AM
Cisco, I was referring to opportunities available to you after your time in the Corps as an infantryman. You'll have a greater chance if you have that experience already.