PDA

View Full Version : Our heroes on the front line:

thedrifter
08-27-08, 08:52 AM
Our heroes on the front line: Jonathan Rood

(by Corey Klein - August 27, 2008)

Editor’s note: The following is part of our special series on area residents serving in the armed forces. If you would like to contribute please call 201-933-1166 or e-mail southbergenite@northjersey.com

When Carlstadt resident Michael Schwartz died from combat wounds in Iraq in 2006, it touched everyone in south Bergen. His death especially touched the life of his friend and fellow volunteer firefighter Jonathan Rood of Rutherford.

Jonathan, who attended Rutherford High School but did not graduate, previously had no qualms about spending a day lounging around the house. Now a marine serving in Afghanistan, when Jonathan is home in Rutherford, he cannot sit still. "He is a changed person since he joined the marines," said his mother, Betty Rood.

The Roods heard of Schwartz’s death on a Monday. On Tuesday night, Jonathan Rood told his family he wanted to join the marines to continue the fight that killed his friend. When he told his mother he wanted to enlist, she was less than enthusiastic. "He said, ‘Mom, I have to tell you something. I’m going to join the Marines.’ I said, ‘No, you’re not,’" said Betty Rood.

He then spent a month mulling the decision before enlisting in December. Schwartz and Jonathan Rood met through mutual friends and Betty Rood remembers the two riding bikes together in their early teens. Both came from volunteer firefighter families. Jonathan Rood’s father, uncle and grandfather all served with the Rutherford Volunteer Fire Department. "He believes in helping his community and his country," said Betty Rood.

Jonathan Rood is currently on his first tour of duty. He left for Afghanistan in March and his mother expects him home in November. In letters home, he wrote of sleeping in a space where a donkey used to live, bearing 140-degree weather and eating less than appetizing military rations. "He said he and the rest of his guys are losing weight," said Betty Rood.

When he returns, he looks forward to his favorite home-cooked meal, Penne with Vodka sauce and a "nice cold bottle of beer." In the meantime, his mother sends him cereal bars and other foods. Schwartz’s mother also keeps in touch with Jonathan Rood and sends him packages, according to Betty Rood.

Ellie