PDA

View Full Version : Reflection on a milestone

thedrifter
08-26-08, 08:39 AM
Reflection on a milestone

Becky Mason

Mason, of Roanoke, is a proud mom of a Marine.

Yesterday, our son, Cpl. David Mason, U.S. Marine Corps, experienced his birthday serving in the desert of Afghanistan. As a way to honor his 25th birthday, we traveled to Washington, D.C., to visit the Marine Corps War Memorial. While the statue depicts one of the most famous incidents of World War II, the memorial is dedicated to all Marines who have given their lives in the defense of the United States since 1775.

We also visited the World War II Memorial and experienced the emotion that we have heard about so often. A group that included an elderly veteran father along with other men who appeared to be sons and grandsons gathered for pictures at the location that designated a battle where he had likely served. At both memorials I found myself thinking about service and sacrifice, politics and persuasion.

David has written many letters during his deployment to Afghanistan. The desert does not afford a Marine the luxury of frequent computer or phone access, so letters are much more common than when he was deployed to Ramadi, Iraq last year. He has written about his unit's efforts to connect with the Afghan people and earn trust, and he has questioned us about the presidential politics of home.

He has described the beauty of the stars in the desert sky and he has written about how ravaged the country is by war. I am not naïve about the difficulty and danger of his assignment there, and I wondered if his birthday would find him with an opportunity to reflect about the past as well as the future.

He launched his Marine career by saying that he did not want to be an old man, look back on his life and think he could have served and chose not to do it.

I believe his future will be filled with significant memories of service and sacrifice. Surely he will never forget the band of brothers with whom he has served. Semper Fi is never a hollow expression when it comes to the Marine Corps.

I watched a young father and son at the Marine memorial sit quietly on the grass around the huge granite statue that depicts the raising of the flag on Iwo Jima in February of 1945.

While I was wondering what that statue might have meant to the young father and son, it occurred to me that every generation has a duty to teach its children the lessons of service and sacrifice. We have a duty to participate in the political process. We have an obligation to be informed so that we can make decisions that reflect more than the persuasion that comes from casual and infrequent media interest.

The birthdays of Cpl. David Mason's childhood are wonderful memories for our family. Thousands of miles separate us as he turned 25 in the desert of Afghanistan this year.

There was no guarantee that we would be able to talk to him on that special day, but we had an unquestionable confidence that he will remember proudly this birthday. Maybe he had a chance to glance up at the stars of the desert night sky and remember how much he is loved by his family and friends. On a larger scale, maybe he reflected on the support of a grateful nation. Maybe these thoughts will be his favorite gifts this year. Happy Birthday, David.

Ellie