PDA

View Full Version : Camp LeJeune Contamination

thedrifter
08-26-08, 08:35 AM
Camp LeJeune Contamination

FRANKLIN COUNTY-- Tim Fortman of Benton was stationed at Camp LeJeune, North Carolina in 1979. Now, nearly 30 years later, he's gotten a letter from the Marines saying his stay at the camp may have exposed him to cancer causing toxins.

In 1985 it became public knowledge... That several water sources on the Marine base were contaminated with toxic chemicals. A U.S. Marine spokesperson says, for years, the military has worked to track down those who may have been affected. But, for Tim Fortman, this is the first he's heard of it.

In early August, former Marine cook, Tim Fortman, received a letter in the mail. It says, "Those who may have lived or worked at Camp LeJeune between 1957 and 1987 may have been exposed to contaminated water."

But, what concerns Fortman, is in another paragraph saying "The Department of the Navy is funding health studies to determine whether or not exposure may be linked to certain health problems."

"Curiosity got the best of me and I was like, 'So what are you studying? What seems to be the problem? I mean, I see here that there were some contaminants in the water. What are the contaminants and what certain health issues are you looking into?'"

They're looking for toxins: TCE, DCE, PCE and Benzene. The government agency conducting the study says these toxins are considered cancer causing agents. They say the chemicals can get into the body through ingestion, inhalation or your skin.

"Any time you used the water, you were exposing yourself to it."

Fortman says everyone on the base was drinking it, washing with it, he was even cooking with it...

"Well sure, I was mixing 55 gallon steam jacket kettles full of it to make soups and sauces."

Officials with the Marines say the contaminated water sources were closed in 1984, but within the 30-year window, more than 50,000 people may have been affected.

A Marine spokesperson says extensive research has been conducted to alert these people, but some veterans, like Fortman, are bound to fall through the cracks.

The letter Fortman received was a registry letter. It asks military personnel who lived or worked in the Camp LeJeune area between 1957 and 1987 to register with the military at: (Toll Free) 877-261-9782

Why should folks register?
If you were exposed, the military wants to document that. And, if you're registered, the military can contact you with the most up-to-date information and findings.

Officials with the Marine Corps give their word: they'll take appropriate action to support those affected.

By: Rachel Gartner
rgartner@wsiltv.com

Ellie