PDA

View Full Version : Run time for the PFT

Seyborg
08-26-08, 12:34 AM
Evenin' Devildogs!

Thanks for takin'the time to read this. In boot, I ran a 282 PFT. 20 pullups, 100 crunches, 21:00 3 mile.

I only need to improve my run time just a tad to get that 285 and alot to get that coveted 300. I shot expert, I want to get a 285+ pft to complement that.

Does anyone know of any simple programs to decrease my time? Maybe something you dooo...?

Any help is VERY much appreciated!

Semper Fidelis,

PVT Justin Seybert

Phantom Winger
08-26-08, 09:53 AM
Running long distances are great for endurance training but you won't improve your time unless you introduce some sort of interval training program. Simply put - you run shorter distances faster.

Google "interval training" and check out the links. Here's a good one to start:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/longrun/interval.html

Good luck, Marine!

sdk87to91
08-26-08, 10:10 AM
Similar to what the Sgt suggested, Get your body accustomed to really running, instead of jogging.
I sprint right off the starting block, and just never stop, that way I have the time beat by the time I get to feeling bad; then I reach down inside and pull a couple more minutes out of my Hoorah, and take it steady the rest of the way. With training I can even pick it back up again near the end.
I also run very long distances which makes the 3 miles feel like a cake walk. I got 300 in Boot camp, but the easiest one was a few yeasrs later, when I was training for the Marine Corps Marathon. I had been running 10-12 miles about 5 times a week, so the 3 miles was easy.

Get up to speed, go somewhere else in your mind and dont watch the clock or the miles, it will be over in about 17 and 1/2 minutes. We spent longer than that chasing the school bus, or making love, or doing bends and thrusts.

Seyborg
08-26-08, 03:24 PM
Aye Corporal. I think I'm just going to run 3 miles at LEAST every other day...and keep on going faster and faster.

Thanks for the advice.

UsmcMotorT
08-26-08, 07:51 PM
You can do several things. This is my regiment.

An endurance day which you run 5-6 miles at any pace.

Interval training as mentioned before, slow pace, sprint, medium pace, sprint, slow pace, sprint, for 1-3 miles.

Then an all sprint day. If you have access to a track you can walk 100 meters, sprint 100. Walk 200, sprint 200. Walk 400, sprint 400. Walk 100, sprint 200. And so on.

Work out your abs and lower back. You should see results relatively soon.

Mikewebe
08-26-08, 08:28 PM
I used to run a 294 never hit 300 But I ran a 19:06 in Oki by running at night with my buddies a 5 mile course and one night one of us missed our nightly run so I went again. But like some had mentioned earlier I would get comfortable with the pace then sprint for about 10-12 secs then slow down to our original pace till I recovered and repeat.

iceman7570
08-26-08, 09:29 PM
You might try what I did,I would run the telephone poles.You sprint from one to the next then jog to the next then sprint again and so on............

Mikewebe
08-26-08, 09:35 PM
Also an excellent idea

fieldcammies
08-26-08, 09:44 PM
If your location is accurate and you're up at Bridgeport, run to LTA and back twice a day...once for morning PT and once after work. You'll drop that time easily. Interval training is also a great way to shave time. You have a 21:00 three mile...you've got PLENTY of room to drop time. You should drop to Sub 19:00 relatively quickly.

Achped
08-26-08, 09:53 PM
I run about a 25 minute 3 mile...its 3 minutes below the minimum and requires no effort on my part, perfect right?

Funny story, a Marine who wasn't getting paid, walked the entire PFT. Perfect reasoning though, he figured if the Corps wouldn't honor their part of the contract, he wouldn't honor his.

He walked across the line at like 42 minutes, MSgt was ****ED. But it was hysterical. OORAH!

Mikewebe
08-26-08, 11:02 PM
I had a SSGT who as a brand new Marine didn't get paid for almost a year, he went home and worked at a gas station, they came and picked him up with a check and no charges were filed, he wasn't the...

TRN
08-27-08, 10:31 AM
As stated above, go for longer runs to increase the endurance.

After you a while you will notice the ability to maintain the faster pace and a lower overall time.

Of course the CFT will be going down soon so it won't even matter anymore. lol

pablox1139
08-27-08, 07:50 PM
My time was never under 18:00 when i started running with a Marine that did sprints up hills and light weight trng I ran 17:28. He also ran faster than i did so i busted my ass to keep up with him.....sometimes you catch the rabbit...sometimes you dont!