PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for SOI

AggieMoll
08-25-08, 10:36 PM
Hopefully there is a Marine that can help me out because all of my searches on this site and on the internet have turned out nothing. What exactly is it like at SOI or ITB to be more specific? Any advice would be welcomed.

RYDERKUR
08-25-08, 10:47 PM
What do you want to know?

AggieMoll
08-25-08, 10:51 PM
Well really I want to know is it really like a 4th phase of bootcamp? If not is it a reflection of life is going to be like in the fleet?

RYDERKUR
08-25-08, 10:56 PM
Gese. I don't want to de-motivate you, but since you are a squared away devil, I won't worry about it. I personally thought it was 5X worse than boot camp. There will be games, some sounding off when your in a group, "junior enlisted indoctrination" if you know what I might be getting at. Some aspects are better. You should be able to have your cell phone, smoke and dip sometimes. You don't have to scream. I could go on, but I think you're getting the point.

I will tell you for sure, and even your instructors will tell you, it is nothing like life in the fleet.

AggieMoll
08-25-08, 11:10 PM
Oh ok thanks for the info Lance Corporal

RYDERKUR
08-25-08, 11:14 PM
No problem devil. A lot of it has to do with what company you are. Don't let me get you down. I mean, it is what is, we can't change it and its that way for a reason I guess. I was told the same thing I told you and didn't want to believe it, but like I say. It's part of a Marine's life and you just push through it. Good luck, you'll do fine. Shoot for honor grad down there too.

As you were. I heard West Coast was a little different. Some Westies I was talking to said it didn't sound as miserable for them. So take it for what its worth.

JordanB
08-26-08, 02:50 AM
ITB is alot more physical then bootcamp but you wont get hazed quite as much. Alot of the time the instructors will treat you like a recruit because alot of boots are still in that mind set, but for the most part they are trying to get you trained as well as they can before you hit the fleet. Remember all the larger more general tactics that they teach you but things like room clearing will varry depending on the sop's of the unit that you get sent to. Id strongly recomend you get yourself a pair of danners and spend like $100 plus on good socks and a footcare kit, seriously in the grunts your feet are your life nothing is too good for them.

Mikewebe
08-27-08, 04:35 PM
I personally found it to be trying at times, we had a Master Sergeant get caught selling our food, so we were eating beans rabbit and fritos 3 times a day for a bit, then our SSGT commandeeered the Wendys on Geiger and we ate there for a bit. Liberty was good and our instructors were stern but not DI types. 20 miler was the worst I ever did.

Mikewebe
08-27-08, 04:41 PM
Oh I should mention that your physical fitness is up to you, we didn't do any organized PT so if you are just in ok shape keep that in mind and use some of your free time to get better at your weak points. You will do at least one PFT there.

HurricaneRJ
08-27-08, 04:45 PM
Boot Camp will motivate you

SOI-ITB will make you fricken suicidal.

I never been in so much stress in my life. They can take your sleep away, they can take your chow away. They can make your platoon do Platoon firewatch (NOT ****ING FUN AT ALL.) Get used to wearing flaks, Kevlar and carrying your Rifle and your day pack. Also EDL (Or gear accountability)

We did a 30K 5-5-20 in one day. I carried my M16 and a SAW, my feet looked like mashed potatoes. I hated life in SOI, couldn't wait to get out of there. Also PT is a 100X worse in the field. They get away with a lot of things out there. Those damn journey runs that lasted forever.

Overall you will learn some basic infantry knowledge. Once you hit the fleet its gets worse, laid back more but your senior LCpls will **** you up for anything, but the training is good.

Mikewebe
08-27-08, 04:48 PM
Glad to see Lcpls getting some more authority these days when I was in you had to be a senoir Lcpl with at least one pump under your belt or you were dirt. Cpls ran the show for the most part

yellowwing
08-27-08, 05:02 PM
Boot Camp will motivate you

SOI-ITB will make you fricken suicidal.

I never been in so much stress in my life. They can take your sleep away, they can take your chow away. They can make your platoon do Platoon firewatch (NOT ****ING FUN AT ALL.) Get used to wearing flaks, Kevlar and carrying your Rifle and your day pack. Also EDL (Or gear accountability)

We did a 30K 5-5-20 in one day. I carried my M16 and a SAW, my feet looked like mashed potatoes. I hated life in SOI, couldn't wait to get out of there. Also PT is a 100X worse in the field. They get away with a lot of things out there. Those damn journey runs that lasted forever.

Overall you will learn some basic infantry knowledge. Once you hit the fleet its gets worse, laid back more but your senior LCpls will **** you up for anything, but the training is good.
Do you really think those harsh L/Cpls had the original idea? Let me pat you on your young pointed jedi head! :D

catorojr
08-27-08, 06:30 PM
Pay attention, follow simple instructions, move with speed and intensity, and most importantly do not be a lazy sh!t bag! Respect rank, parade rest when you are talking to an NCO, even if he is a student. If they ask for 5 Marines, be one of them.

Like previously stated, there is much more PT; so do not stuff your face with fat boy food on libo. Do not fall into the woas me attitude and just suck it up; don't listen to your body, mind over matter mindset. You'll play f*ck f*ck games, just deal with it and do what you're told.

And I think my last bit of advise would be: Remember that saying at Bootcamp? “The quickest way off the Island is graduation”...same applies at SOI/ITB, The quickest way to completing training is graduation- Don't puss out and see doc when your head hurts or you have a stuffy nose, as I said earlier- SUCK IT THE F*CK UP!

Mikewebe
08-27-08, 07:16 PM
Man things really must have changed since I was there lol, listen to these guys and it sounds about like good advice to me

MadGhost0311
08-28-08, 12:33 AM
I went through SOI/ITB in 2000, Charlie company. They had just gotten done with an investigation for hazing, and took it out on us. I slept more during bootcamp than in SOI, but I snored and the other student Marines would wake me up - b@$tards. Bust your @$$ and follow intructions. My squad had an awesome instructor, Sgt McCain - went to LAPD SWAT. Watch out for the scam artists when you're on libo. They can spot young jarheads a mile out, and they know your pay scale and schedule better than you do. One other thing - pay attention to your accronyms - BAMCIS, SMEAC (with or without the "O" at the beginning) and whatever else is thrown your way. Good luck and Semper Fi.

Achped
08-28-08, 01:51 AM
rofl, charlie company was FREAKING NUTS. I swear to God they were like the 3rd Bn of ITB.

As for out in town, yeah. We had 2 guys in an SUV at a gas station try to hustle us for money. They were like "Ohhh, this is a military town?" LOLOLOL, like anyone doesnt know Jacksonville NC isnt a military town, THERES A MARINE CORPS FLAG OUTSIDE THE MALL lol.

Anyways, they tried pulling us into betting them on some card games or something, it was retarded. They had just gotten their taxes back (in january...?) and they were out lookign to have some fun by gambling.