PDA

View Full Version : 6 childhood pals home from Iraq

thedrifter
08-25-08, 09:55 AM
6 childhood pals home from Iraq

August 24, 2008
Recommend (8)
BY DAVE NEWBART Staff Reporter

The six men grew up within blocks of each other in Beverly and Morgan Park. They went to church together, and at least three went to high school together.

Then, one by one, they all joined the Marines — and shipped out to Iraq together in January.

On Saturday, the men all came back from Iraq — in a triumphant return to their boyhood homes.

“We’re proud of them, but we are really glad they are home safe,” said John Kelly, whose son Jim is one of the six.

The men were among nearly 400 in the 2nd Battalion of the 24th Marines who came back from active duty. They were greeted by loud cheers as they left buses and walked into the Allstate Arena. The thundering cheers and applause from friends and family was at times even louder than that at the many sporting events and concerts held at the Rosemont facility.

“It’s overwhelming,” said one of the six, Bob Carroll, 22, a radio operator who was stationed in Al Anbar province in western Iraq.

“It’s the best feeling I’ve ever felt in my life,” he said.

The families of all six men families attend St. Cajetan Church. Carroll, Kelly and Mike Hughes went to Brother Rice High School together. Kelly said they all “just decided in high school that we wanted to join the military.”

Kelly said he saw his hometown buddies at least once a week while overseas. “To see a friend you grew up with over there, it’s unbelievable. It’s really reassuring,” he said.

Two members of their battalion from Milwaukee died in a roadside bomb blast while in Iraq this tour, down from 14 who were killed during the battalion’s last deployment in 2004-2005, said a Marine spokesman, Gunnery Sgt. Shawn Doty.

As for the six, “They’re done,” Doty said. They’re finished with active duty for now, although they will return to reserve status soon.

Kelly, who will re-enroll at Eastern Illinois University next week, said they planned a party Saturday night at McNally’s. On the way there, they’ll pass several local businesses that have put up welcome messages on their marquees.

“I can’t wait to get back to the South Side,” Kelly said.

Ellie