PDA

View Full Version : Break down-build up

Walking Cow
08-24-08, 10:29 PM
My dads main fear for me in Recruit Training is when they "break you down" (to build you back up) can you get stuck in the "down" cycle and never recover mentally? My mom told me this was his fear because he has two cousins who are mentally unstable because they never "built back up". Is it mental issue? Not wanting to recover because of disoriented? or something else? I most likely made no sense but... I'm not one with words. Thanks in advance.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-24-08, 11:26 PM
Boot camp doesn't break you down in such a way that you would be unstable if things ended right then. It turns you from nasty puke into a Marine. If you don't make it to the Marine stage, you'll just still be the person you are today.

If someone has a mental problem it existed before they got to boot camp and would be there whether they ever enlisted or not.

amarine0311
08-25-08, 09:03 AM
I agree with echo four bravo....they had mental issues BEFORE their short experience with the Corps.

Note- careful quoting Swafford. He was not a Marine you want to look up to.

Walking Cow
08-25-08, 04:53 PM
Boot camp doesn't break you down in such a way that you would be unstable if things ended right then. It turns you from nasty puke into a Marine. If you don't make it to the Marine stage, you'll just still be the person you are today.

If someone has a mental problem it existed before they got to boot camp and would be there whether they ever enlisted or not.

E4B- Thats what I was hoping to hear, sir.

Amarine0311- Swafford is only used for the quote, sir.

Walking Cow
08-25-08, 05:15 PM
Oh and uh... another thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xj7AN4fRe6s

This video DOES NOT DEPICT my view on the military. This was sent to me by my crooked left wing brother-in-law.

My viewpoint on the kidney deal (for those who watched it) is that the Marine in the video had issues before that just didn't appear until a reaction from the flu shot.

Whats your take on this if you don't mind my asking?

Again, I am not trying to provoke any discouragement or issues with this video, if deemed inappropriate, remove it.

sparkie
08-25-08, 05:26 PM
Something smells.

Marine84
08-25-08, 09:59 PM
I thought I told you to put the fish up sparkie!