PDA

View Full Version : Aye v.s. yes?

Bonzack
08-24-08, 10:42 AM
This is most likely my last question seeing as how I'm shipping out tomorrow morning :banana:...but I was just wondering, when is it appropriate to say Aye ma'am or yes ma'am? :D

I've also heard its aye aye on the west coast and ay on the east coast.

Brewer0311
08-24-08, 10:55 AM
Aye is an acknowledgement of an order.

I tell you to go get your gear for an inspection and you say, "Aye, Corporal"

Yes, is an answer to a question.

I ask you if you are a female and you reply with, "Yes, Corporal"

Understand?

Integrity57
08-24-08, 10:56 AM
Oh my god, this is something that bothers me personally, who the **** ever told Marines it was just "Aye?" It's Aye Aye, which means I understand, and Will comply. But since there ain't no changing the Corps, you will respond with Aye Sir or Ma'am to an order and Yes Sir or Ma'am to a question, got it nasty?

Bonzack
08-24-08, 11:01 AM
Yes, Corporal.

Yes, Integrity57.

BR34
08-24-08, 11:46 AM
who the **** ever told Marines it was just "Aye?"

My Drill Instructor told me. His Drill Instructor told him. His Drill Instructor told him, and on and on. If we were trained by sailors maybe we would say what you think we should say. If you were trained by Marines maybe you wouldn't be so wrong right now, heh heh. But seriously why does that bother you? We do things differently than the Navy, that's not something that should bother you. I for one am glad we don't speak like Mr. Krabs. :D

<!-- / close content container --><!-- open content container -->

I think they say that crap on the West Coast because they are stationed so close to the squids...it rubs off on em, even from another base. Once those Hollywood Marines hit the fleet they will NEVER say "Aye Aye" again.

And it's good you're trying to learn this now because while I was on P.I., at MCT, and at MOS school I realized that female Marines NEVER knew when to say Aye vs Yes. Luckily that changed in the FMF.

Bonzack
08-24-08, 12:10 PM
I think they say that crap on the West Coast because they are stationed so close to the squids...it rubs off on em, even from another base. Once those Hollywood Marines hit the fleet they will NEVER say "Aye Aye" again.

And it's good you're trying to learn this now because while I was on P.I., at MCT, and at MOS school I realized that female Marines NEVER knew when to say Aye vs Yes. Luckily that changed in the FMF.

I've been wondering that since January and I've always forgotten to ask or when I remembered..I was in the middle of doing something. What's the FMF? That's probably a dumb question..but, I'm not in the right state of mind seeing as how I leave tomorrow morning.

Brewer0311
08-24-08, 12:11 PM
I've been wondering that since January and I've always forgotten to ask or when I remembered..I was in the middle of doing something. What's the FMF? That's probably a dumb question..but, I'm not in the right state of mind seeing as how I leave tomorrow morning.

Fleet Marine Force = F.M.F.

Integrity57
08-24-08, 12:14 PM
lol It doesn't really bother me BR34, and I guess if ya'll spoke just like us we wouldn't be as cool as we are, you know with our big ships and the anchors and all that lol j/k But who's Mr. Krabs? Did he get his nickname after making port in Thailand?

Bonzack
08-24-08, 12:16 PM
Fleet Marine Force = F.M.F.

Oohhhhhhh..I'm pickin up what your throwin down. :thumbup:

BR34
08-24-08, 12:19 PM
lol It doesn't really bother me BR34, and I guess if ya'll spoke just like us we wouldn't be as cool as we are, you know with our big ships and the anchors and all that lol j/k But who's Mr. Krabs? Did he get his nickname after making port in Thailand?

LOL, Mr. Krabs is a crab from Spongebob. He used to be a sailor before opening up a burger joint (I blame my son for me knowing that), and he talks just like my sister, who has been in the Navy for almost 8 years...

NicholasITALY
08-24-08, 12:30 PM
This is most likely my last question seeing as how I'm shipping out tomorrow morning :banana:...but I was just wondering, when is it appropriate to say Aye ma'am or yes ma'am? :D

From what I've read time ago you say Aye Sir on the east coast (PI) and Aye aye Sir on the west coast (SD).
But again I don't know for sure.

Aye (aye) sir = acknowledgement of an order.
Yes Sir = You answer a question.

Integrity57
08-24-08, 12:35 PM
LOL, Mr. Krabs is a crab from Spongebob. He used to be a sailor before opening up a burger joint (I blame my son for me knowing that), and he talks just like my sister, who has been in the Navy for almost 8 years...

Oh ok, I thought it was a cartoon character, makes sense lol.

KevinR90
08-24-08, 12:48 PM
I heard we say just Aye because you are suppose to say Aye Aye as fast as possible- and when you do it really fast it sounds like Aye.

Achped
08-24-08, 01:23 PM
Negative. When I got to Camp Johnson and met the West Coast creeps ,that kept trying to steal all our girls away, there was a big ass arguement that had to get settled by the base Sgt Major in our receiving...classroom about Aye Aye and Aye.

They kept saying Aye Aye Cpl and the East coast Marines said "Aye". Now I'd been places before, I know you never ever ever ever say aye aye in the fleet, but those idiots didn't know any better.

So finally the SgtMaj was telling a west coast Marine something and he was like Aye Aye Sgt Major, and he got his ass lit up. But those arrogrant pricks still kept using it. Its all good, I know they don't still do it, they're all in the fleet now.

Anyways, my roommate is up, he's about to start playing his video game, which means I've got to get out of here.