PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp getting weaker?

JJA1990
08-23-08, 11:51 PM
This is a question for all Marines.. and its one that I dont really even want to ask.

Let me start out by saying that I know bootcamp in the USMC is one of the most challenging things you can possibly do. That is in part why I am SO estatic. I want to be the best possible, and I want to be a Marine more then anything.

However, every so often I hear things about how boot camp is getting soft, and pretty soon its just gonna be the Army. It's probably the most painful thing I can hear. I love the distinction of the Corps. I love how notoriously hard and extreme boot camp is. I'm terrified, but I can't wait. So my question is.. how much of this talk is simply the older Marines saying its getting easier.. cuz thats tradition, and how much of it is true?

Obviously I know you cant get hit or beat anymore.. but still..

New Marines thoughts would be especially welcome.

thanks in advance.

CplKJSpevak
08-24-08, 07:35 AM
I had this talk with a friend of mine, He was in the Marine Corps for 25 years and retired Master Gunnery Sergeant. When he started our Marine Corps League chapter, there was alot of old timers saying the same thing "Boot Camps not as hard these days...blah,blah,blah).....So Master Gunn's arranged a trip back to Parris Island for these Old Leatherneck's.....AND arranged the whole "Get off my Bus!" experience for them.....after a few hours of the fvck,fvck games those old Marines ate their words. Watch excerpts from "Ears open, Eyeballs click" movie and you see how INTENSE it really is. The Marine Corps makes changes in a SMART direction NOT SOFT direction, for example when I was in, the Commandant changed the rifle range, we could no longer use tight slings while in the the shooting position at 200 and 300 yard line, WHY? Because it was not very tactical or realistic. Training at the Recruit Depot will never get easier, just wiser. Good luck

sparkie
08-24-08, 07:51 AM
Easier in one respect that I can think of. You no longer live under the threat of your face getting punched in, or your ribs broke. That eases things up a bit in my book.

I'm sure I just set some folks off but it's just my opinion.

JJA1990
08-24-08, 02:26 PM
I had this talk with a friend of mine, He was in the Marine Corps for 25 years and retired Master Gunnery Sergeant. When he started our Marine Corps League chapter, there was alot of old timers saying the same thing "Boot Camps not as hard these days...blah,blah,blah).....So Master Gunn's arranged a trip back to Parris Island for these Old Leatherneck's.....AND arranged the whole "Get off my Bus!" experience for them.....after a few hours of the fvck,fvck games those old Marines ate their words. Watch excerpts from "Ears open, Eyeballs click" movie and you see how INTENSE it really is. The Marine Corps makes changes in a SMART direction NOT SOFT direction, for example when I was in, the Commandant changed the rifle range, we could no longer use tight slings while in the the shooting position at 200 and 300 yard line, WHY? Because it was not very tactical or realistic. Training at the Recruit Depot will never get easier, just wiser. Good luck

Exactly what I wanted, and needed to hear. Thank's a lot.

ecfree
08-24-08, 07:49 PM
Easier in one respect that I can think of. You no longer live under the threat of your face getting punched in, or your ribs broke. That eases things up a bit in my book.

I remember our SDI inviteing a few guys outside for a dumpster inspection,not all at the same time,but they came back from sick bay packing thier sea bags...:marine:

Achped
08-24-08, 08:01 PM

Nope, no threat of that at all. But I remember one day I "fell" into the wall and my drill instructor tried to stop me from being slammed into the wall by "catching" my jaw with his fist.

But no, no cold clockings or rib beatings...no....never saw that....

mac257
08-24-08, 08:09 PM
I went through in 61, the mental stress was worse than the physical, we got our thumps but nothing serious, like i said the mental stuff was worse, it could be that way todayk i've seen the new prt stuff i don't know if i could do it i think the marine today is stronger than when i was in

Fubar5812
08-24-08, 09:29 PM

actually when i was at bootcamp we still used the tight sling at every yardage and in every position.

for a while i heard rumors that it was being shortened and that admin,team week where being removed,eventually i found out that was a myth.

bootcamp is very challenging and it isn't for everyone,a friend of mine found that out recently,yes they can't hit you anymore..but they find much more..."creative" ways too deal with nasty recruits.

CplKJSpevak
08-25-08, 07:39 AM

The worst I've seen DI's do something like grab you by the face and throw you on the deck, and one time doing that the DI went at it a little hard and broke the recruits glasses and bloodied his nose. But no broken ribs or nothing like that, But in my opinion....sometimes there are recruits with REAL attitude problems that could use a couple of broken ribs for extra motivation. :usmc:

mac257
08-25-08, 09:35 AM
I've never said it's getting easier, from what i've seen on Histor channel and others i think it harder, the long yarded shootin is right those days to me for the average marine are past were not in the ww1 and 11 trenches any more but there is a place for the sniper. didn't mean boot was easier, just the machines and faces have changed so has the conflict's type. we fight a different type of war now as in Nam.

UsmcMotorT
08-25-08, 06:05 PM
actually when i was at bootcamp we still used the tight sling at every yardage and in every position.

for a while i heard rumors that it was being shortened and that admin,team week where being removed,eventually i found out that was a myth.

bootcamp is very challenging and it isn't for everyone,a friend of mine found that out recently,yes they can't hit you anymore..but they find much more..."creative" ways too deal with nasty recruits.

I just shot in may and we shot using the loop sling in every position but the standing which we used the Hasty Sling.

UsmcMotorT
08-25-08, 06:07 PM

I just shot in may and we shot using the loop sling in every position but the standing which we used the Hasty Sling.

To the original poster; I believe one of the only things that have changed was the physical damage the DI's can inflict on recruits. Bootcamp (notice how I didnt say basic training like the Army), is very physically and mentally demanding. There is not a single minute in bootcamp where you get a chance to take a breather or have any relaxation of any sort (except church and when you sleep, if you're lucky).

Thunder
08-26-08, 11:19 PM
Hmm some DIs still like to hit recruits, albeit not cold cocking or rib breaking. Throat chops are still around :D I graduated August 15th "Last of a Dying Breed".

UsmcMotorT
08-27-08, 08:34 PM
Hmm some DIs still like to hit recruits, albeit not cold cocking or rib breaking. Throat chops are still around :D I graduated August 15th "Last of a Dying Breed".

You are right. But you have some ***** ass recruits who cant take a hit and tattle tail :evilgrin:

YutYut
08-27-08, 09:01 PM
True story. I was on the island when a drill instructor was under some sort of investigation because of a recruit telling his series commander he was "physically assaulted" by his DI. Such BS. I guess we have pillow fights and tickle each other in combat, right?