PDA

View Full Version : Just took the DLAB...

mrmorency
08-22-08, 08:50 AM
Wow... that's all I can say. Now normally I can breeze through just about any test and not break a sweat. But IMO... the DLAB is the hardest test I've ever taken. I was cool at first... but for anyone who's ever taken it, once things started piling up I **** a brick lol.

I only scored a 93... which wouldn't be too bad if it weren't for the fact the USMC accepts 100 and above only. Luckily, I was informed via About.com that they will waiver a 90 and above. So hopefully I may not be completely SOL yet.

What's everybody else who took it's opinion?? Did you find it as difficult as I did?

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-22-08, 09:57 AM
They made me take it in boot camp. It was early in the process, so I was pretty tired. The most difficult part of the test for me was trying to stay awake during it. Honestly, I think it is one of those things that measures how you think. For some people it won't be too difficult for other people it will be impossible.

mrmorency
08-22-08, 11:08 AM
Hardest part for me was not knowing what to expect. Through out my life of test taking I've always been able to somewhat prepare for a test. This one, as we know, isn't something you can actually study for. I was told have a firm grasp on the English language, which I do, and that didn't help worth a damn. Plus it didn't help I wasn't watching my time remaining on a section and lost like 5 questions due to running out.

Achped
08-22-08, 11:41 AM
Thats ironic, I got a 93 too, about 2 years ago. I didnt get the job, I took 03xx instead lol.

That test was weird, I took it with some air force girl she got like a 127, I think thats the perfect score? I was like WTF why didnt you help me? No one was in the room or anytihng, it was just a tape player. But yeah stuff piles on real quick with that.

mrmorency
08-22-08, 04:00 PM
Actually, to the best of my knowledge a perfect is like 176 (about.com). The one guy that took it with me got a 143. That's impressive. But what really gets me, is that my recruiter told me there aren't any waivers. Which means I'm screwed.

But what reeallllyy really gets me is that if I had joined the Army or the freakin' Navy I could get a linguist job with my score. Oh well, I joined the USMC to be the best, so I won't expect them to let me slide. Atleast I can believe they do it that way so I'm not set up to fail. Which is good.

Haffner
08-22-08, 05:10 PM
MOS in the military is for many like your chosen major for your Bachelor's degree. As a poolee, you'll be like, "Oh man, I'm so dead set on Admin," A couple of weeks later, "Thank God I didn't sign up for that, I'd so much rather be motor T, I love working on engines and **** more than paper work." Then you go to the recruiter and you're like, "Man, I totally got it now. Infantry all the way."

That was really common at our Recruiting Station. The ones who were depp'ed in for a long time (or were seriously thinking about the crap for a long time and depping for only a short time) changed their minds about their MOS alot; myself included.

After looking at the options and availability again and again, you might find something like basic air crewman alot more interesting, or decide that going to something with a shorter school is more important because you want to get into the fleet and into the sandbox alot quicker.

Either way, don't let it get to you. If you did your best, good on you. The Marine Corps standards are higher than everyone elses. In this aspect, you've already learned this. That's not to say you can't take the DLAB again at a later time, though. Wouldn't be EXACTLY the same test, but it'll be similar. Stay hard.

Try2CatchMike
08-22-08, 07:43 PM
Yea I didnt do to well on the DLAB either after scoring a 92 on the ASVAB its just a diffrent kinda test but it was meant to be.

-LCPL Penfold

CplGiraffe
08-22-08, 11:22 PM
I found the DLAB to not be one of the hardest tests, but more just one of the most insane things I have ever done. The test is so mentally fatigueing that during it you just want to curl up in a little ball. I, however, did score a 118 so I am going into the signals intel field as cryptolinguist. I think this test really accomplishes what it should. It weeds out those who have a knack for languages and those who do not. I have always been told by Marines that it is just some people can and some can't and there is no studying and etc.

Although, depending on ship out date you may be able to retake it if still interested. I think the first wait period is 6 months but I'm not sure.