PDA

View Full Version : Diploma problems.

PhantomLord
08-21-08, 06:10 PM
Well i went and enlisted today in the Marine Corps. Filled my paper work out and had my ASVAB scheduled for 1600 hours. About an hour before my recruiter comes to pick me up I get a call from him saying that the Corps WILL NOT accept my diploma. I have no idea why, because it is an accredited school by the Florida department of education etc. So now I'm scrambling to find a way to get a diploma that they will accept or to acquire 13 credit hours from college. I already have 6 so far.

I was home schooled from 10th grade to 12th. The place was Citizens highschool.

So is there any body who has gone through this and found an online or local (Orlando) Adult diploma program that the Marine Corps accepted? I have already called the local colleges but that has been fruitless.

Thanks in advance for the help.

MontySpecial
08-21-08, 06:29 PM
I got this from typing "Marine Corps and home school diploma" in my URL:
http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/Issues/M/MarineRecruiting.asp.
Talk to your recruiter and ask him/her why your school credits are accepted!

I also found this, too:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66320

good luck!

PhantomLord
08-21-08, 06:47 PM
My recruiter said that my school wasn't on "the list" of home schools they accept because it was a GED. When in fact its actually an accredited high school diploma. Im just completely baffled by all of this. This came completely out of left field.

I have seen the first link before. The recruiter says that he tried to push for it along with his boss and his bosses boss but that didnt get us anywhere.

Even on the website for the school it says that you receive an accredited official high school diploma. That they are not a "GED mill".

Here is their site right here. (http://www.citizenshighschool.com/accreditation.htm)

I see the other thread link you posted about the guy having a similar problem to mine. He magically got in. Is it possible that my recruiter just isnt putting for the effort. He seems the a really great guy and was more then happy to talk to me and my parents and to take this one step at a time instead of rushing through it. So it would surprise me but I have heard of it happening before.

PhantomLord
08-21-08, 07:41 PM
Well this is what i have gathered so far to show that i have a legal right to be able to join the military as a home schooled student.

Its a long post so bare with me please.

Articles about Home schoolers and the Armed Forces

Info on the updated policy of tier 1 for home schoolers ==>

Part One ==> http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/Issues/M/MarineRecruiting.asp

Part Two ==> http://nche.hslda.org/docs/news/hslda/200707030.asp

Part Three ==> http://www.hslda.org/elert/archive/2007/03/20070301110308.asp

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________

*This is the high school that I have gone through for my home schooling*

Accredidation & Recognition proof for Citizens High School

Link to official school accredidation page ==> http://www.citizenshighschool.com/accreditation.htm

"Accreditation & Recognition

Citizens' High School is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council since January 28, 1984. The Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council is listed by the U.S. Department of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency.

Q. What exactly is Accreditation and is it the same as being licensed?

Licensing and Accreditation are no way interchangable terms. A license is simply permission to conduct business and nothing more.

Accreditation is the process that gives recognition to institutions that have demonstrated, through comprehensive self-study processes and external evaluations by their peers, that they meet minimum academic standards and perform the functions they claim. It signifies an institution has set educational goals for its students and can demonstrate that their students are able to attain these goals.

Accreditation assures the institution operates on a sound financial basis, has an approved program of study, qualified instructors, adequate facilities and equipment, and approved recruitment and admissions standards. It also serves as "seal of approval" bestowed by an independent group of peers and individuals representing the public interest proving an institution is worthy of the public's confidence and merits the trust of government and students alike.

Institutions accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council's Accrediting Commission have proved, without a doubt, that they -

Have core integrity and rock-solid ethics in every aspect of their operations;
* Are honest in all of their dealings with everyone, at all times;
* Have qualified faculty and staff at all levels;
* Have up to date and comprehensive learning programs and services;
* Treat their students fairly and with dignity;
* Promote their programs with unquestionable honesty and fairness to all;
* Show conclusively that their graduates learn what they were promised;
* Are operated in a financially sound manner, and can ensure every student will receive the training or education for which he/she contracted; and
* Finally, they have shown consistently that they merit the confidence placed in them by DETC and the peer group.

If verification of accreditation is required, the DETC may be reached at 202/234-5100.

In addition, Citizens' is in compliance with Section 229.808 Florida Statutes requiring the yearly completion of the Florida Department of Education Non-Public School Survey. Citizens' High School is listed in the Florida Department of Education Directory of Non-Public Schools under District 10, school number 1345."

Concerning my legal rights to enlist as a home schooled student.

HSLDA official site link ==> http://www.hslda.org/highschool/military.asp

PhantomLord
08-21-08, 07:43 PM
I'm hoping that will give me some ammo to help fight this battle.

DGardner
08-21-08, 07:55 PM
Fight what battle? Apparently your diploma isn't good enough. You need more.

Jailhouse lawyering won't help you.

PhantomLord
08-21-08, 08:05 PM
If there is a way that I can prove that its accredited, which I can, then why give up. I'm proving that its accredited so I'm curious as to why the recruiter won't take it.

Law is law my friend.

BR34
08-21-08, 08:15 PM
If there is a way that I can prove that its accredited, which I can, then why give up. I'm proving that its accredited so I'm curious as to why the recruiter won't take it.

Law is law my friend.

Your recruiter wants you in and he has no reason to lie to you. If he tried to get you in with your current lvl of education and it wasn't approved it means you need to do whatever it takes to get approved. If it's already been up the chain of command there's no amount of googling you're going to do to change the minds of the whoevers that denied you.

I had to go to college and get the credits needed to become a Marine. It was worth it for me. If it's worth it for you, you will find a way to get through--even if that means more school.

PhantomLord
08-21-08, 08:21 PM
Your recruiter wants you in and he has no reason to lie to you. If he tried to get you in with your current lvl of education and it wasn't approved it means you need to do whatever it takes to get approved. If it's already been up the chain of command there's no amount of googling you're going to do to change the minds of the whoevers that denied you.

I had to go to college and get the credits needed to become a Marine. It was worth it for me. If it's worth it for you, you will find a way to get through--even if that means more school.

Very true, LCpl. If need be I will gladly attend college to get the required credits. In fact I already have six. I am just trying to exhaust all my options before dropping a load of cash into a semester of college, that's all. I understand that my recruiter wants me to join. Like I said, he is a great guy and an outstanding Marine. I'm not neccessarily questioning his effort I'm innocently questioning if he is up to date on the new law. Because from what my research shows, there are numerous cases were the recruiter isn't aware of the new changes. So I very well could be eligable but all I need to do is prove it. Like I said, I'm just trying to go down the list of options, perferably putting the easier ones on top of the list and working my way down.

Thank you for your response LCpl.

Marine84
08-21-08, 09:23 PM
Son, I really hope you direct all that pent up "fighting" to the right things IF you get in my Corps. This is the U S Government and YOU want to work for THEM! Your school IS NOT on THEIR list - deal with it instead of wasting MY tax dollars (because I know you can't afford it yourself) trying to fight something that doesn't mean a hill of beans to anybody but you. Get your college credits and BE DONE!!

YutYut
08-21-08, 09:33 PM
Stay hard 84

PhantomLord
08-21-08, 09:46 PM
Son, I really hope you direct all that pent up "fighting" to the right things IF you get in my Corps. This is the U S Government and YOU want to work for THEM! Your school IS NOT on THEIR list - deal with it instead of wasting MY tax dollars (because I know you can't afford it yourself) trying to fight something that doesn't mean a hill of beans to anybody but you. Get your college credits and BE DONE!!

I am well aware LCpl. I am however taking the correct course of action as opposed to just saying "****it" and dumping a few grand on something that I very well could have gotten for free if I had only put forth the effort. So here I am, fighting for it. I know I am not the only person in this blessed world who has had this problem. Many have had it and have handled it the same way and have gotten in. So why can't I. i don't know about you but i would much rather keep the couple of grand and still get what i want. So I'm putting forth the effort. If I fail at that then I will try the next choice and so on and so forth until my mission is complete.

My purpose with this post is to hear from others who have had the same situation and how they handled it. So i can learn from other peoples mistakes and success'.

Thank you for your input, LCpl.

thewookie
08-21-08, 10:16 PM
I was home schooled from 10th grade to 12th. The place was Citizens highschool

You mean they didn't accept that? WTF

PhantomLord
08-21-08, 10:27 PM
Are you being sarcastic, Sgt?

Wyoming
08-21-08, 11:37 PM
Are you being sarcastic, Sgt?

The Sgt can be any ****ing thing he wants to be!

You, on the other hand, are just like before, an argumentative little ****.

The USMC says you do not have an accredited diploma, so the answer is, 'YOU AIN"T GOT AN ACCREDITED DIPLOMA!'.

PhantomLord
08-22-08, 12:35 AM
The Sgt can be any ****ing thing he wants to be!

You, on the other hand, are just like before, an argumentative little ****.

The USMC says you do not have an accredited diploma, so the answer is, 'YOU AIN"T GOT AN ACCREDITED DIPLOMA!'.

Again, you take something simple and turn it completely 180 degree's. That wasn't the context I was asking that question in but if your eager to jump the gun then go ahead.

YutYut
08-22-08, 05:35 AM
In the event that you actually earn the honor to wear my uniform, how will you reply to your Cpl's and Sgt's in the fleet when they give you an order or some gouge that you do not agree with??? You going to argue or 'discuss' it with them until they see it your way? If you do go to boot camp you will learn this: Discipline - instant and willing obedience to all orders, respect for authority, self-reliance, and team work. That just might be applicable here. Instead of "raging against the machine" here, how about you do what's asked of you?????

Pvt Cowboy45
08-22-08, 08:13 AM
ok. Phantomlord. if the Marine Corps says that your diploma aint what they're lookin for then just do what you can to get to where you need to be. if you tried to go to a college that wouldnt accept that, they wouldnt accept it no matter what. so get your credits and stop being a smart*** to the Marines!

Marine84
08-22-08, 08:17 AM
PhantomLord - you are going to be one unsatisfied little puke in the Corps.

amarine0311
08-22-08, 08:47 AM
Phantom-
My beloved Corps has deemed you unworthy. Get over it. Take your douche bag ass to the Air Force.

AL49BGN
08-22-08, 09:18 AM
Phantomlord you will show respect toward any Marine on this site,especially an NCO.How do you expect to be a Marine if you are going to act like an immature little sh**.When a Marine corrects you,the only response I want from you is "Aye sir or Aye mamm.If an NCO or any Marine wishes to be sarcastic towards you,so what.They earned that right .Marine 84 is here to help you Poolees and Wannabees by sharing her valuable time with you.If you cannot take what these Marines are telling you now how do ever expect to make it in my beloved Corps.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-22-08, 09:50 AM
Phantom, while I don't appreciate the attitude, I'm going to try to help.

First, what you believe the law is and what it actually is are probably two very different things. You're getting your information from some very biased sources. The Home School Legal Defense Association is a special interest group. What you find on their website is what they believe the law says, or what they want it to be. That does not necessarily mean the courts agree at this point. The school wants to attract students, so the information they give may not accurately reflect the truth.

The problem likely stems from the fact that your school is accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council. While this is a recognized agency according to the U.S. Department of Education, it is not accredited by the Florida Department of Education. This is problematic because they are only recognized by the US Department of Education for postsecondary programs. Thus, a secondary school that is accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council does not carry the recognition from the US government. Simply put, your school was accredited by a group that does not have a recognized ability to give such status to a high school.

Your best bet is to ask the recruiter to submit a waiver, give him all of the information you can get from the HSLDA and the school that are in your favor. But be ready to deal with the fact that the school is not accredited by a recognized agency and all that comes with that.

PhantomLord
08-22-08, 10:31 AM
Thank you Cpl. It says that they are accredited by the Florida Department of Education, but then again, that could be a load of crap. I am meeting with my recruiter today to present what I have found. Hopefully I can get such a waiver, if not, then college here I come. I'm just trying to save me a few thousand dollars.

TazMatt
08-22-08, 02:27 PM
Phantom Lord I really don't know about how to address your problem with the system on getting in with the diploma you have but I will let you know I agree with your way of thinking and just to let you know that fighting the system is not always wrong no matter(I know I will catch hell for this from my fellow Marines but bring it own I can damn well take it.)any of the Marines say. If you believe that you are right to go for all the resources you can use before you have to plunk down any money at all.If you get done what you need with out spending a whole lot of money do it.Some times you have to do what you feel is right even it means going against the system for it is not always right.Just because someone tells you to do something and not question is not always right and believe me I questioned a lot of things during my time in and it involved NCOs and SNCOs and also Officers at times.I never had NJP or anything else for standing up for what I thought was right.If you do it in the right way you can do things that are not always by the books.I am in no way saying be disrespectful to any one but then respect works both ways not just one.So to this I say to you don't let the Marines on this site try to bully you in thinking that you are not a person you do what you have to get in My Marine Corps for it is just as much mine as it is anybody else that served honorably. Semper Fi

PhantomLord
08-22-08, 03:05 PM
Phantom Lord I really don't know about how to address your problem with the system on getting in with the diploma you have but I will let you know I agree with your way of thinking and just to let you know that fighting the system is not always wrong no matter(I know I will catch hell for this from my fellow Marines but bring it own I can damn well take it.)any of the Marines say. If you believe that you are right to go for all the resources you can use before you have to plunk down any money at all.If you get done what you need with out spending a whole lot of money do it.Some times you have to do what you feel is right even it means going against the system for it is not always right.Just because someone tells you to do something and not question is not always right and believe me I questioned a lot of things during my time in and it involved NCOs and SNCOs and also Officers at times.I never had NJP or anything else for standing up for what I thought was right.If you do it in the right way you can do things that are not always by the books.I am in no way saying be disrespectful to any one but then respect works both ways not just one.So to this I say to you don't let the Marines on this site try to bully you in thinking that you are not a person you do what you have to get in My Marine Corps for it is just as much mine as it is anybody else that served honorably. Semper Fi

Thank you Sgt. I in no way am meaning any disrespect. The way I see it is that I have the right (lawfully speaking I do) to join with my current diploma. A good friend of mine who is a Ret. Master Sergeant with 23 years of experience is telling me that my problem may not be with the diploma but rather the recruiter. The recruiter may have already met his quota for the month and wants to brush me off till he needs me. It could be as simple as that. He recommends that I stay on this guy constantly. If that doesn't work he may call and have his friend (who is also a Msgt still serving)and have him try get me accepted in. I have no idea if that would have any type of influence but I am not going to turn down the help.

I have also been told by many other Marines (including a former recruiter of 6 years) to write to my state senator about my situation. Its a long shot but it could pay off.

I have a hard time believing that a convicted felon can get a waiver to join no problem but I'm having a HUGE problem with accredidation. I know military can work in weird ways sometimes but that just seems a little lop sided.

Again, thank your for your council Sgt. It's much appreciated.

Justin

BR34
08-22-08, 03:22 PM
Okay man, I've tried being easy on you, but damn you are starting to rub me the wrong way.

The way I see it is that I have the right (lawfully speaking I do) to join with my current diplomaYou don't have the right to do ****! You can be denied for a million reasons, and your "rights" whatever you think they may be won't have any impact on changing the regs that got you denied. Seriously, what are you thinking you're going to do, get a lawyer and sue the CMC?

The recruiter may have already met his quota for the month and wants to brush me off till he needs meIn all this time you were running around, talking to Senators, lawyers, retired Generals, and John Rambo did it ever cross your mind that maybe the problem is WITH YOUR DIPLOMA like your recruiter said?

It could be as simple as that.It could be as simple as your diploma not being worth the paper it's printed on too, but for some reason you refuse to acknowledge that's a possibility--much easier to blame the Marine Corps' Regs, or your recruiter.

If that doesn't work he may call and have his friend (who is also a Msgt still serving)and have him try get me accepted in.How in the hell would that change anything? Is the MSgt going to tutor you so you can get college credits? What do you think he's going to do, shoot the recruiter an email and voila you're in? Or maybe he'll make your recruiter push to punish him for not letting you in? I think you are severely miscalculating your options.

Its a long shot but it could pay off.How? What is your Senator going to do? He has as much power over the Marine Corps' regs as that MSgt. (none)

I have a hard time believing that a convicted felon can get a waiver to join no problem but I'm having a HUGE problem with accredidation.Don't hate the convicts for having approved diplomas. It's not about them. I have a hard time believing you are going through all this to try to change a regulation in an organization you aren't even a part of.

Call your recruiter and ask him for the SPECIFIC reason you were denied, write it down, tell him the course of action you are about to take, and then reply here.

And I know you aren't trying to be disrespectful, but you are dick head.

PhantomLord
08-22-08, 03:30 PM
Okay man, I've tried being easy on you, but damn you are starting to rub me the wrong way.

You don't have the right to do ****! You can be denied for a million reasons, and your "rights" whatever you think they may be won't have any impact on changing the regs that got you denied. Seriously, what are you thinking you're going to do, get a lawyer and sue the CMC?

In all this time you were running around, talking to Senators, lawyers, retired Generals, and John Rambo did it ever cross your mind that maybe the problem is WITH YOUR DIPLOMA like your recruiter said? It very well could be. But like I have said a million times, I am going to exhaust all of my options before I decide to go the college route.

It could be as simple as your diploma not being worth the paper it's printed on too, but for some reason you refuse to acknowledge that's a possibility--much easier to blame the Marine Corps' Regs, or your recruiter.

How in the hell would that change anything? Is the MSgt going to tutor you so you can get college credits? What do you think he's going to do, shoot the recruiter an email and voila you're in? Or maybe he'll make your recruiter push to punish him for not letting you in? I think you are severely miscalculating your options. I have no idea how that would have any help, as I said previously. But I am not about to tell the Msgt to pack sand and decline his help.

How? What is your Senator going to do? He has as much power over the Marine Corps' regs as that MSgt. (none)

Don't hate the convicts for having approved diplomas. It's not about them. I have a hard time believing you are going through all this to try to change a regulation in an organization you aren't even a part of. I am not trying to change the regulation. What i am trying to do is find out WHY its not accepted and to show that it should. Even after all of this is said and done and I still have to go through college, at least I made the attempt were as most of you wouldn't.

Call your recruiter and ask him for the SPECIFIC reason you were denied, write it down, tell him the course of action you are about to take, and then reply here. Yes Lcpl, will do sir.

YutYut
08-22-08, 03:52 PM
Holy f*cking sh*t kid. Why do you want to join MY beloved Corps???? If you're so f*cking butt hurt about this transgression the Marine Corps has committed against you, go join some other branch. Do you think the the Iraqi/Afghani terrorists will really f*cking care what you think is "fair"????? No, they don't give a sh*t about you, but I bet you'd "respectfully" (HA!) try to explain to them how America is here to help while they're sending rounds down range at you. And your strongest argument will be "...at least I made the attempt were as most of you wouldn't." Good game ass.

JdnSmith
08-22-08, 03:53 PM
at least I made the attempt were as most of you wouldn't.

Speak for yourself ****bag. You think you're the only one who has had to deal with adversity while trying to get into the DEP? You have posted 144 freakin times in under a month. Maybe if you didn't spend so much time making stupid remarks on this website you would be a little further ahead of the game.

-Poolee Smith

TazMatt
08-22-08, 05:31 PM
Okay why don't you Marines give the man a break he is doing what any other normal person would do or should do before spending a lot of money. He is weighing his options and trying to do things like he was told by people who are close to him. He doesn't need a bunch of Marines jumping his S**t just because he doesn't agree with everything that you Marines says or do. Lighten up some making a decision to pursue something this way is not paramount to raging war.

YutYut
08-22-08, 05:41 PM
TazMatt, needing help with a problem is one thing. Arguing and being disrespectful is another thing entirely. If a PFC asked me for help and started giving me **** because he didn't like/understand/agree with my response, I'm going to be all up in his ass about it. Why in the world would I lighten up if a poolee/wannabe feels he rates to disrespect Marines, let alone NCO's?? If you want to stroke him, that's your perogative. It's not mine, however.

TazMatt
08-22-08, 05:53 PM
Yut Yut I am stroking him or anyone else for that matter I just think that sometimes some of you come on too strong to people who are trying to join our Corps.I know I didn't like people always telling me that I should listen and just do what everyone else said. I never have nor will I ever. There is a big difference in doing what you are told to do and is the right thing but you don't need to go in to anything blind on just ones sayso. So once again give the poolie respect if you want respect in return for that is a two way street.If he was my son and he told me what was happening on here I would tell him to tell all of you to go take a flying leap and I could care less where you landed.That Yut Yut is my perogative on that matter.

YutYut
08-22-08, 06:13 PM
Well, brother, we'll have to agree to disagree. I can appreciate the fact that people want to be apart of our Corps. I can NOT appreciate those same people running their sucks and being disrespectful. If you think your CO is being an ass about something, you don't start acting belligerent.

PhantomLord
08-22-08, 06:18 PM
I have tried to be as respectful as possible. The "at least I made the attempt were as most of you wouldn't." comment was an observation from most of your answers aside from a few. Most of you have recommended or rather demanded that I just STFU and grab my ankles ie. not make an attempt. So I merely repeated what you yourselves have been yelling at me. While I do take into credit what you guys are saying I still have to weight things and attacking me and berating me over something little seems trivial and childish. The more and more I post on here the more and more I see the same core group of people constantly berate poolee's and wannabee's.

Obviously I have missed were I was disrespectful. So instead of telling me I'm a POS civilian, why not inform me of what it is I said that was wrong. If you take your car to a mechanic and yell at him that its broke but expect him to fix it do you think the guy will be able to fix it. No, because you still haven't told him what the problem was.

So with all due respect I am only trying to ask a question and weight my options.

Thank you for your answers Marines and poolee's, and thank you Sgt TazMat for your words of encouragement.

YutYut
08-22-08, 07:19 PM
Obviously I have missed were I was disrespectful.

Why don't you go back and read what you've responded with. Try to read it without knowing what YOUR intent was. Try to picture what someone who's never met you would take it as. If you can't comprehend why anyone would interpret your responses as whiny and full of attitude,
and there for disrespectful, go ahead and PM me and I'll walk you through it.

drewsifers
08-24-08, 08:10 PM
People on this forum make me laugh with the way they try to act hard, especially the non-ncos. instead of trying to insult the poolee, how about you try to help the kid. Phantom if you get through boot camp you'll learn that most of the people on this forum are just trying to intimidate poolee's

Marine84
08-25-08, 07:48 AM
People on this forum make me laugh with the way they try to act hard, especially the non-ncos. instead of trying to insult the poolee, how about you try to help the kid. Phantom if you get through boot camp you'll learn that most of the people on this forum are just trying to intimidate poolee's

LOL! Who are YOU? Your profile says you're a Marine and you're STILL an E1 with 10 years of service?!?!?!?!?!

MyCorps
08-25-08, 09:47 AM
Justin- <br />
You want to become a Marine. Good, there is always room for a hard charger. <br />
Unfortunately you have hit a few snags along the way. I agree with a few of the Marine posting here, maybe the...

Phantom Blooper
08-25-08, 10:08 AM
The problem lies with being homeschooled....nothing wrong with that...but the Marine Corps considers it a GED and you need to go to college and complete your 15 credit hours and then try again.

You can request all day long and it will be the same answer to go to college and get the required credits.

Shiat happens...what the reason is I don't know...but rest assured the higher echelon has a reason...whether you agree with it or not.

Go back to school and get the credits.

As the Captain said congressional investigations not only put the ball in someone else's court it flags you as a shiathead! Let the recruiter do HIS job and YOU do yours!:evilgrin:

PhantomLord
08-25-08, 11:35 AM
Thank you for the sound advice Capt. The road bumps ahead of me suck but they are achievable. It's really not that big of a deal, it just seems like it sometimes. So far I am having problems reaching...

BR34
08-25-08, 12:00 PM
That's a much better attitude you have there.

Hell, my enlistment was delayed by almost 2 years because of various problems. I had to have a tattoo removed from my neck AND get the college credits just to enlist. But I looked at it as an investment in my and my family's future.

When you look back on it you'll realize it was a pretty small price to pay for something if you want it as bad as you say you do.

BR34
08-25-08, 12:07 PM
Post Script

Try going to the recruiting office to talk to the recruiter. He may not realize that you are motivated enough to go to school and get it done. I'm pretty sure you can enlist and go into the DEP while getting your credits btw, I did.

And it's "PFC" not "V".

PhantomLord
08-25-08, 12:34 PM
That's a much better attitude you have there.

Hell, my enlistment was delayed by almost 2 years because of various problems. I had to have a tattoo removed from my neck AND get the college credits just to enlist. But I looked at it as an investment in my and my family's future.

When you look back on it you'll realize it was a pretty small price to pay for something if you want it as bad as you say you do.

Compared to the grand scheme of things, it is a small bump in the road. I just have to get used to these situations because I'm sure I'll hit a lot more through out life.

Post Script

Try going to the recruiting office to talk to the recruiter. He may not realize that you are motivated enough to go to school and get it done. I'm pretty sure you can enlist and go into the DEP while getting your credits btw, I did.

And it's "PFC" not "V".

Very true LCpl. I just found it odd that I could call him anytime I needed and he would answer every time but after this "bump" he won't. I dunno, hell, I'm probably just reading to much into it. I'll go pay a little visit to him in the morning and report back here on what I find out.

Thank you for the advice LCpl.

AL49BGN
08-25-08, 01:38 PM
IF WE MAKE YOU LAUGH THEN DON'T COME ON!THESE POOLEES ARE FORTUNATE TO HAVE A POOLEE THREAD.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-25-08, 11:39 PM
Phantom, I have been looking at this since I made my first post.

The school does not say it is recognized by the Florida Department of Education. It says it is in compliance with Section 229.808 of the Florida Statutes and that it is listed in the Florida Department of Education Directory of Non-Public Schools. However, this does not mean that it is accredited by the Florida Department of Education. When you visit their website you'll find this:

Section 1002.42, Florida Statutes, requires K-12 private schools to register with the department by completing an annual survey each year and explicitly provides that submitting annual survey data and being listed in the directory of private schools should not be used by any private school to imply approval or accreditation by the state.

There are many organizations with widely variant quality standards and program requirements that accredit private schools. Requests for information about the accreditation of a specific school should be directed to the school staff or its designated accrediting agency. The acceptance of diplomas from private schools will be subject to the requirements of the receiving educational institution or employer.

Even though the Department of Education does not offer accreditation to any private school, and does not officially recognize any of the accrediting bodies, they do list several of them that are recognized by the state, either through statute or by proxy through the Florida High School Athletic Association. Sadly, the body that accredits your school is not on this list.

There is still a chance you can get a waiver, but it will be difficult. The state is clear that they believe it is up to the institution of higher learning or the employer whether or not to accept diplomas from non-public schools. In this case, the Marine Corps would be the employer and the state specifically states that they do not have to recognize the diploma. That all but eliminates a legal challenge, the state has already taken care of that problem.

PhantomLord
08-26-08, 01:49 AM
Phantom, I have been looking at this since I made my first post.

The school does not say it is recognized by the Florida Department of Education. It says it is in compliance with Section 229.808 of the Florida Statutes and that it is listed in the Florida Department of Education Directory of Non-Public Schools. However, this does not mean that it is accredited by the Florida Department of Education. When you visit their website you'll find this:

Even though the Department of Education does not offer accreditation to any private school, and does not officially recognize any of the accrediting bodies, they do list several of them that are recognized by the state, either through statute or by proxy through the Florida High School Athletic Association. Sadly, the body that accredits your school is not on this list.

There is still a chance you can get a waiver, but it will be difficult. The state is clear that they believe it is up to the institution of higher learning or the employer whether or not to accept diplomas from non-public schools. In this case, the Marine Corps would be the employer and the state specifically states that they do not have to recognize the diploma. That all but eliminates a legal challenge, the state has already taken care of that problem.

WOW! That's some tricky wording. Well, so that completely nullifies everything for me. My best bet is to try one last time with a waiver and if I can't get that, then....well.....I guess I'm heading to college.

Thanks a million for the clarification, Cpl. I guess sometimes it takes a second pair of eyes to catch things you may have missed the first time around.

Seyborg
08-26-08, 09:35 AM
Deeeeamn, you Marines jumped this kid. Good stuff, I had fun reading it for 5 minutes. :p

Hey Marine84, I got your card in boot camp! Thanks a bunch!!

Semper Fidelis

Pvt Seybert Out...

Marine84
08-26-08, 09:46 AM
Deeeeamn, you Marines jumped this kid. Good stuff, I had fun reading it for 5 minutes. :p

Hey Marine84, I got your card in boot camp! Thanks a bunch!!

Semper Fidelis

Pvt Seybert Out...

Just think.........since you have the Title now, you can join in on the fun too. :banana:

Congratulations Marine and Welcome Home!

drewsifers
08-28-08, 07:05 PM
LOL! Who are YOU? Your profile says you're a Marine and you're STILL an E1 with 10 years of service?!?!?!?!?!

Doesn't the Corps teach tact, anymore obviously not, guess my buddies that are still in were correct in saying that a lot of the new marines are ***t bags.

Seyborg
08-28-08, 07:25 PM
Whoa there devil dog, what's the beef?

I didn't mean to offend any of my fellow Marines, and I ain't no "****-bag" Marine. THAT I got on lock down.

Somewhere along the line, the kid annoyed the older Marines cause he wanted to find a way around, which was smart ('cause deaaamn, college is expensive) but, he got a little excessive. Marines thought he wasn't willing to pay or take time to go back to school. I'm sure that wasn't the case. No worries..just a misunderstanding.

Even if the Marines are wrong, he needs to learn that he is wrong ANYWAY. Welcome to boot! DIs are always right devil pup! So learn it from us.

I've said it before...Yeah these Marines will jump on you. Simple. If you're on this site as a Marine wannabe...that means you're either cocky and you think you're almost there...or you're hella motivated. Either type gets the same harsh treatment. It's make them better. In my humble opinion of course.

So stop throwing ****bag Marine around, OK? Not a good example my fellow leatherneck!

Marine84
08-28-08, 07:26 PM
Doesn't the Corps teach tact, anymore obviously not, guess my buddies that are still in were correct in saying that a lot of the new marines are ***t bags.

They didn't focus on it so much when I went through some 14 years BEFORE you. Seeing as to how you're new here and have only made 2 posts, I'm going to cut you some slack and not give YOU my undivided attention...........................unless you want it ;) and then we'll surely have to have a Mod move it to the Hooch because you will be awfully embarassed in front of the civilians that are able to read this particular thread if we do it here. You might want to add a little more to YOUR profile as well..................please.

REAL Marines that come through here don't have anything to hide - all of OUR profiles are filled out to the MAX. We're proud of our service!

I'm popping more popcorn :banana:

Seyborg
08-28-08, 07:32 PM
Oh Kim, good ****.

Can I called you Kim?

Pvt Seybert Out!

Marine84
08-28-08, 07:36 PM
Yes, you may. And since you're the newbie, you have to bring the beer ;)

davblay
08-28-08, 09:26 PM
AH....he makes us proud doesn't he Kim?

Dave

YutYut
08-28-08, 09:52 PM
A lot of the new Marines are **** bags? Who ARE you?? I guess we call Marines ****bags now because we held a higher rank at some point, right? Or maybe we want to look "cool" on an internet forum? With a response like that, you're a great example to all the poolees/wannabe's that read this forum. Way to be a stellar NCO :thumbdown

Seyborg
08-28-08, 10:14 PM
That's where I was getting at, sir. We're here to set examples, which includes not letting nasty civillians act like we own them something. As the great Drill Instructor Sgt.Spofford would say..."Bull ****in' ****, that ain't it." Maybe we should let this one rest? I think those that needed it learned a lesson.

buckeyeblue
01-26-09, 12:25 PM
WOW! That's some tricky wording. Well, so that completely nullifies everything for me. My best bet is to try one last time with a waiver and if I can't get that, then....well.....I guess I'm heading to college.

Thanks a million for the clarification, Cpl. I guess sometimes it takes a second pair of eyes to catch things you may have missed the first time around.

PhantomLord,

Hang in there partner. I apologize for all the sarcasim from the fellow Marines and Marine Corps Veterans on here spewing the ignorance at you. Keep the faith and keep checking. I served faithfully in the USMC from 1978-1981. I was a high school drop out at 17, but was able to enter the USMC back then. I graduated from Parris Island, S.C. in September 1978 and served as an 0811 Field Artillerymen at Camp Lejune, N.C. with O Btry 4th Bn 10th Marines. We were in the French Creek area back then. I completed my High School Diploma Program through Newport Pacific High School while in the Corps, an I.C.S. American Correspondence High School that was accrediated by the Home Study Council..then...today it is called DETC...an agency approved also by the Department of Education and approved by DANTES. Like today as well as back then! Today Newport Pacific High School / ICS... is Penn Foster High School which is also accrediated by DETC and approved by DANTES, such as your H.S. Diploma is from Citizens. I served in the Corps when the USMC still had Self-Propelled Artillery in there arsenal.

I served on an M-109A1 155mm SP Howitzer. I did my tour and got out a CPL E-4 serving honorably. Work was thin when I got home with President Carter still in the W.H. I went back to a USMC Recruiter after being out of the Corps almost 90 days and he told me that he could not offer me nothing but Okinawa...as an 0811 and would have to reduce me from CPL E-4 to LCPL E-4.

The Army Recruiter was there listening in to all of that....and said, can I speak to you? I said why not. He told me I could join the U.S. Army...keeping my CPL E-4 and not going in a SP4, if I stayed in my Field Artillery MOS. He also offered a $5,000.00 bonus to join the Army. That was 1981. That was a lot of money back then. I looked at the USMC Recruiter and he still said his offer was the same. The U.S. Army accepted my H.S. Diploma too. I did not have to go to basic or AIT if I joined the Army. So I joined the Army. I reported to Fort Ord, CA in the fall of 1981 and the rest is history. I served another 8 years in on Active Duty. 1981-1985 and 1987-1991 Deserrt Storm Veteran. USAR 1985-1987. Army National Guard 1991-1999. I received by Commission in the ARNG in 1998. USAR 1999-2009.

I applied for my retirement as a Captain 03E serving as a Chaplain in the ARNG first and then transferring to the U.S. Army Reserve. In my time as a Soldier, I have served in OIF, OEF, Bosnia, Kosovo, The Sinai, Honduras, Panama, West Germany and Germany...after the wall fell, Japan and South Korea. And throughout the U.S.

I spent almost 20 years enlisted time before taking a Commission as an Officer. I am writing this to tell you there are other alternatives. In my Army experience, they helped pay with the G.I. Bill for my AA in Pyschology, BS in History-minor in Political Science. The Army also helped with Army Tuition Assitance for my Master of Divinity Degree, while I attended Seminary.

Don't get me wrong...I had a great time serving as a Marine and in the USMC. I still e-mail a few friends I served with in the unit at Camp Lejune, N.C. I served on a NATO Cruise to Turkey in 1979 aboard the USS Sumter 1181. Great port calls in Spain, and St. Thomas V.I.

Again I had a great time as a young man serving in the Corps.

I wish you the best. I bet if the Marine Corps continues to deny the H.S. diploma, The United States Army will accept it.

Again hang in there!

That's an option.

Semper Fi from a Former Marine :usmc: