PDA

View Full Version : Any Tips

sshrader
08-21-08, 01:29 PM
Today im starting training with my recruiters, they have Warrior training every Thursday. SSgt said we will going hard today about 3-5 miles. I was wondering does running in formation and chanting cadences really help the motto and breathing? I can run about 2+ miles bymyself but I find my breathing is a little messed up at first but after the 1st mile it settles down. Any tips on what to do and not to do tonight I would like to make a decent impression seeing that I will probably be the oldest one there tonight?

Thanks

Chumley
08-21-08, 01:35 PM
Today im starting training with my recruiters, they have Warrior training every Thursday. SSgt said we will going hard today about 3-5 miles. I was wondering does running in formation and chanting cadences really help the motto and breathing? I can run about 2+ miles bymyself but I find my breathing is a little messed up at first but after the 1st mile it settles down. Any tips on what to do and not to do tonight I would like to make a decent impression see that I will probably be the oldest one there tonight?

Thanks

Cadences will motivate you, take your mind off of the task at hand, keep your formation in rhythm / sync and best of all you will be forced to breath...quite important actually while running. Blend in and have a good time...be ready to participate when called upon and do as you're instructed. So much to think about that 5 miles will be over before you know it. If you can do 2, you can do 5. Drink your water and make sure that those around you do too.

C

sshrader
08-21-08, 01:39 PM
Thank you Cpl! Ive been motivated and kinda worried this week. I really want to join and im eager too but at the same time It feels like im taking a big step and leaving my family while I do my own thing. But I gotta do what I gotta do and this is what Ive wanted to do for a long long time just took me a few years to get enough Motto too.

Chumley
08-21-08, 02:08 PM
Thank you Cpl! Ive been motivated and kinda worried this week. I really want to join and im eager too but at the same time It feels like im taking a big step and leaving my family while I do my own thing. But I gotta do what I gotta do and this is what Ive wanted to do for a long long time just took me a few years to get enough Motto too.

When it's all said and done you may find It's a love/hate relationship, as are most occupations, but if you make it, it's so worth it.
Nothing good ever comes easy.

Good luck!
C

srinaldo86
08-21-08, 02:24 PM
When will you be shipping?
I'm assuming you're going to Paris Island.

sshrader
08-21-08, 02:27 PM
I havent got that far yet still need to lose about 15 lbs to be under my weight. But my recruiter said it would be sometime next spring time possibly which will be awesome to give me more time to prepare and attend my brothers wedding. Im hope'ing by oct i can DEP and get my 0311.. I think I will be giong to MCRD San Diego.

srinaldo86
08-21-08, 02:53 PM
Ahh gotcha. Are you over weight due to muscle or fat? If you're able to run two miles I'm assuming its muscle.

sshrader
08-21-08, 03:00 PM
haha well if this was a year and half ago id be good to go, its little bit of both fat and muscle id say fat right now, my ex fiance loved to go out and eat a lot i mean a lot of desert with dinner.... but i have always been the short stocky muscle guy ever since i could remember at 16 I was the strongest person in my high school even tho it was a small school i was benching 330, squating 450 cleaning like 270 the coach didnt make me try to max out any more for fear of injury so if i can get back down to 185 id be a lean mean fighting machine! So hopefully the SSgt can "make the fat f***ing melt off me"-SSgt's quote haha

srinaldo86
08-21-08, 03:18 PM
lol, yeah I totally understand that. Same situation but luckily I'm so damn tall my weight didnt really make a damn bit of difference.
Darn those women always tempting and teasing you with sweet treats... The healthy and unhealthy ones...

sshrader
08-21-08, 03:21 PM
Lucky you it kinda sucks being 5'7 - 5'8 lol but in a month and half of running i dropped about 15 lbs, so hopefully with this new diet of salad(which sucks) and running about 10-15 miles a week will pay off sooner than later. What MOS is 5811 Srinaldo?

srinaldo86
08-21-08, 04:38 PM
Yeah the salad diet alone should do it alone but running is definitely the key.
Dont skip on your protein and potassium though man! Your leg muscles are going to need it with all that running.

5811 is Military Police. I'm actually signed up for 5800 field which means I have the potential to get screwed and get 5831 which is basically a prison guard, where as 5811 is an actual military police officer rather than a baby sitter.

In otherwords dont take no for an answer and dont sign anything unless it says exactly what you want it to say. Once you get that far ofcourse.

MontySpecial
08-21-08, 05:46 PM
Make sure you drink plenty of water tonight, then drink a little more when before you get there. DO NOT EAT BREAKFAST. YOU WILL PUKE, but if you're like me you'll puke from sounding off so much anyways.
Running shouldn't be a problem, just don't let breathing get in the way of sounding off. It did for me the first time I ran with other Poolee's but my mistake was quickly fixed.
When running, breathe through your nose and out through your mouth. At first I thought it was going to be impossible, but I can't run without doing it like that. Controlling your breathing like that will make it worth your while. I'm the oldest Poole (19) which isn't bad since no one cares, and I'm probably somewhere around average.

sshrader
08-21-08, 10:34 PM
Well I did my first warrior tranning.. Lets just say I need to improve on the pull ups and running big time! The running was about 2 miles to the road then when we got there we sprinted about 500 yards down and back. I was doing real good on the running till that. Once we finished we started on the way back got about 1/4 of the way back and had to do a the fireman carry for about 60 yards. Of course since im a stocky muscular type. I had to carry the biggest guy who was around 225lbs. That hurt my lower back really bad cause my shoes/go fasters are a POS. My breathing was a lot better than I thought it would be thank god Im finaly getting over this sinus cold. But the run back is where I sucked it up so bad, I guess the running every night I have been doing needs to be a little faster paced. I had to slow down I guess you can say I fell out after the 3 miles of running. Which Im ****ed at myself for doing that my lower back/kidneys were aching so bad. But I did not finish last tho. I guess I can give myself a little credit, these 3 years of sitting behind a computer at work has tooken a toll on me. Sorry for the long post everyone.

srinaldo86
08-21-08, 10:53 PM
Howd you do on the pullups? Theres always room for improvement, question is how much improvement do you have to make before you can pass the IST?
Completing the IST is the important part because boot camp will handle the rest it really just comes down to how much hell you want to catch in boot camp wether or not you continue improving. (You're obviously taking the right steps with running and eating better.)

Phantom Blooper
08-22-08, 06:39 AM
Any Tips

Don't Eat Yellow Snow!:evilgrin:

YutYut
08-22-08, 08:00 AM
Someone mentioned in another thread about you all focusing on the IST. That's fine for the recruiting office, but you'll run PFT's in boot camp and after. Focus on running 3 miles at a good 7-8 minute mile pace. If you can run 3 miles in 21-24 minutes, you'll have no problem running a mile and a half in about 8-10 minutes comfortably. If you can do at least 10 proper pull-ups and 80-100 proper crunches in 2 min before boot camp, along with a good 3 mile run time, your physical training while at MCRD will be less grueling. It won't be a cake walk unless you're some sort of olympian, you won't get the "silver bullet" for being a heat casualty on a run ;)

MontySpecial
08-22-08, 11:19 AM
Once I qualled for the PFT run (on my own; it was about 26 minutes) I couldn't believe how simple running 1.5 miles is. Heck a good 5 or 6 mile run makes 1.5 just seem too easy. I still can't run the IST under 10, but a slow and steady pace pays off.

YutYut
08-22-08, 11:31 AM
Back when I was a LCpl, my buddy, whom just made Cpl, and I ran morning shop PT. He and I had this idea that seemed logical enough (and worked!) to help lower our run times. We would go for a good 3-5 mile run at about a 7-8 minute mile pace. We'd run for about a quarter to half a mile and sprint 50-100 yards, racing each other. We are both pretty stubborn and competitive, so we couldn't stand letting the other 'win' the sprint. We did this for a month or two along with our typical "get big" time at the gym (Note: it's proven to be nearly impossible for me to "get big"). About a month later, the PFT came around. I went from running a 20:30 to an 18:34. He went from ~24:00 to ~20:00. He's one of those corn-fed country boys who was apparently born weighing 80lbs, so he's a naturally big dude and pretty damned strong. Had it not been for the fact that I busted out 19 pull-ups and beat him by about a 1:20 on the run, he would have beat my PFT score. Anyways, that was a great way to increase my comfortable running speed and decrease my run time. It's easy to stay motivated when killing yourself if you have a motivator next to you who refuses to lose to you. We're good friends to this day. We're both civilians now and he's on leave from a contract in Iraq, sitting right next to me watching the olympics. God I love the Marines.