PDA

View Full Version : Marine’s graduation from boot camp leaves indelible impression on family

thedrifter
08-21-08, 01:05 PM
Marine’s graduation from boot camp leaves indelible impression on family
By Leeanne T. Stronach
Wed Aug 20, 2008, 01:41 PM EDT

After Pvt. Samuel Sterling graduated from boot camp training for the U.S. Marine Corps at Parris Island, South Carolina, he headed to Holbrook – a place he still refers to as home.

Samuel, 20, went to Holbrook Junior/Senior High School up until his senior year. He moved for his last school year to Cumming, Georgia to live with his mother and stepfather, Marsha and William Brewer. He graduated from North Forsyth High School in 2006.

Even though he moved away, Samuel still has family and friends to return to.

His father Robert, his brother Daniel, 23, and his sister Jen, 25, along with his stepmother Sheila, his stepbrothers Liam, 11, and Sean Smyth, 23, all live in Holbrook and were anticipating his visit earlier this week.

At Samuel’s graduation, Robert, Sheila, Jen, Daniel, and Liam, as well as Marsha and William and his grandmother Muriel Burnhauser, all attended the Aug. 15 ceremony at Parris Island.

After graduation, Samuel went to his mother’s house with his brother Daniel before the two arrived in Holbrook on Aug. 20.

His sister Jen said she was surprised that her baby brother joined the Marines, “but it was what he wanted to do,” she said.

The family sent Samuel handwritten letters daily while he was in training as he didn’t have access to e-mail. He left for boot camp in June.

Samuel’s letters revealed a gradual change in the younger brother she knew, Jen said, explaining that he sounded more mature.

When she saw Samuel after boot camp, Jen noticed that he carried himself differently and with more self-confidence.

Samuel also put on 25 pounds of muscle from all the physical training, she said.

“I’m really proud (of him) because he went after what he wanted to do and it’s a huge accomplishment,” Jen said.

Samuel will stay through the weekend and celebrate with family and friends at a welcome home party in his honor.

He will then report to Camp Lejeune, North Carolina for 29 days of combat training before heading to missions operating school in Pensacola, Florida, where he will study ground ordinance maintenance.

Samuel described his future job as equipping military aircraft with explosives.

In other words, he was going to blow stuff up, Jen said.

After his training is completed, Samuel will be stationed in either California or Okinawa, Japan.

Jen was uncertain as to whether her brother would be sent to the war in Iraq or Afghanistan because he didn’t go into the infantry.

Before signing up for the Marines, Samuel worked as a mechanic in Georgia.

He always had an interest in the military. His grandfather served in World War II in the Navy and his father’s uncle was also in the military.

Because of this heritage and because he is proud of his country, Samuel enlisted for four years.

Jen said that her family has a picture of Samuel as a youngster running around with Nerf guns and dressed in fatigues.

After witnessing Samuel’s graduation, their stepbrother Liam is playing Marines in the woods with other children from the neighborhood, she said.
Liam was impressed when he saw Samuel’s graduation.

“I thought it was amazing,” Liam said. “It was very organized and much shorter than I thought, but it was interesting. I’m proud of Sam. Now I look up to him even more than I did before.”

The visit to Parris Island was also memorable for Samuel’s father Robert.

“It was one of the most inspiring and awesome experiences of my life,” Robert said. “I wish that every parent could experience the same feeling of pride and accomplishment with their child. I think it was important for Sam and all of us for us to have been there and experience it together.”

Samuel’s stepbrother Sean couldn’t make the graduation, but said, “I wish I could have been there to show my support for Sam, but I couldn’t be prouder of him, and it’s an honor to be able to consider him not only a member of the family, but a friend.”

Jen said that her mother viewed the graduation with lots of pride, too.

“The more it sinks in and the more stories I hear from Sam, the harder it is for me to understand that he really did it,” she said. “He has definitely earned his title. Bill and I are both extremely proud of him and can’t believe how good he looks. He looks like a man; he’s not a boy any more. I feel safer now knowing that my son will be protecting all of us.”

Quotes from Jen Sterling’s family members were taken from an e-mail sent by Jen to the Sun.

Leeanne Stronach can be contacted at ltstronach@comcast.net.

Ellie