PDA

View Full Version : 0651/0656 Active Reserve?

WannabeMustang
08-21-08, 12:21 PM
Hey, Marines. I'm a reservist in Iraq right now finishing up a provisional rifle company deployment. As the end approaches I'm weighing my options for what to do when I get out of here, and one possibility my fire team leader threw out there was Active Reserve billets.

I looked into it and it sounds like a good deal. I'm really tempted except for the fact that I don't know how able I will be to pursue my undergraduate degree while filling the billet. I'd like to get quality, transferable classes amounting to at least an associates (and I already have 39 credits and a high 3 point something GPA).

While I have a lot of information about the program, what I'm missing is the actual experiences other Marines have had with the program.

So are there any Marines out there who have served in the Active Reserves? and are there any 0651/0656s, active or reserve, who wouldn't mind telling me about the MOS?

Thanks for taking the time to read and answer. Semper fi.

YutYut
08-21-08, 04:28 PM
Wannabe -- What's your MOS right now? I am (was) an 0656. I'm assuming you're considering a lat move? Quick note: Last I checked, there's a lat move bonus for the MOS as it's apparently become critical. I guess NMCI effed up enough for the Corps to need more data dinks. Anyway, in a nutshell, you'll learn basic computer architecture, how to image a computer, set up various servers (domain, exchange, dns, dhcp, etc.), learn about IP addresses and subnetting, routers and switches, etc. And as part of the practical application you and a partner (if they still do it this way) will set up a "site" with two workstations, a server, the routers and switches, and various cables running all around from the patch panels to everything else and out to some other "sites" the other Marines are setting up. Since I worked at the Pentagon, you're guess is as good as mine when it comes to actual duties in the fleet. All of our sh*t was run by NMCI for unclass and SIPR was run by other Marines at the Navy Annex. All the switches and routers were run by civilians, too. My time there was spent more as a sounding board for the 3-star, 1-star, Col's, LtCol's, Maj's, and various enlisted Marines about how NMCI was garbage. Do not mistake this for *****ing. It was good times. Just not great for my MOS credibility. There are ways to fix that (advanced training for instance).

WannabeMustang
08-21-08, 04:43 PM
YutYut,

Ha. First things first: your nickname reminds me of how painful my own nickname is. Picked it when I was still a motivated DEP member and aspiring to be an officer. Oh, well. It's a bit too much trouble to change now.

You are correct in assuming a lat move-- of sorts. The billet isn't actually in the fleet per se, but as an active Marine assigned in support of a reserve command. (Basically, you work at a reserve station all day.) It would, however, require a retrain. I'm currently a 0811 (field artillery cannoneer) and I imagine the skill sets must be, well, just a little different. But I have a basic knowledge of networking and a better than basic knowledge of computers in general so hopefully I'd have an all right leg up if my application went through.

I've heard what you said about SIPR and the rest from other Marines, as well. Apparently 0651/56s (I think they're merging them eventually?) end up being personal computer fixers more often than they do their MOS, since it's all contracted out nowadays. I wouldn't object too much, though I'd try and keep my skills polished.

Hope you're right about the bonus. That'd be some icing on the cake.

I know your duty was different, but do you think that you would have been able to take some classes on your work schedule? And I know you said it wasn't good for your job cred-- but did it help you find a civilian job?

And of course, thanks a mil for the information and advice.

YutYut
08-21-08, 05:02 PM
I like my name dammit! I scream yut! whenever I can. Most times, it's not around Marines and people just think I saw a bug or something and freaked out. ;)

Check the MARADMIN(s) at www.marines.mil. I saw the lat move bonus about a month ago when I was considering reenlisting active with broken service and wanted to see what I would rate. As would typically be the case, it probably does not apply to the reserves (what does???). Anyway, if you do rate a LM bonus, it's pretty high until Sep 30. I don't know if I would rate one considering it's always been my MOS, but as a zone A Sgt, I thought it was something like $68,000. That's insane to me. Talk to your CSR or call/email M&RA to find out for sure.

One thing that'd be a *GREAT* idea for you, if you're serious, would be to get a book on CCNA, Network+, and maybe one on A+ certifications. You don't have to memorize the whole thing but you should try to understand as much as you can. I already had a pretty good knowledge of binary and other such geek sh*t since, by nature, I'm part nerd. I took the CompTIA Network+ "bootcamp" offered by the Corps a few months before I got out. It was a no sh*t refresher on everything I'd learned in Comm School, but was provided by civilians and landed me a Network+ certification. There's plenty of trash out there for you to do on your own to keep up with the computer world and most of which the Corps will pay for through the TA program, your G.I. Billl, or a combination of the two. If you're in a 6 shop, or at least have a good NCO/SNCO who understands a bit about your MOS, they'd probably have no problem sending you on TAD to different civilian training classes for refreshers and certifications...assuming your shops travel budget can spare it. The best way, in my experience, to get TAD orders for training (Corps-provided or otherwise) is to figure out how to do the paperwork for it yourself so your NCO/SNCO only has to sign with the OIC and send you off. Makes everyone's life easier.

I could have, and DEFINITELY should have, taken classes on my work schedule. Unless you're tasked with other duties like being a driver or get tossed on to working parties a lot, there's not a whole lot of work to do in garrison if nothing is "broken." I'm at the end of the enrollment process with a college right now to get my degree, which could have been accelerated dramatically had I used my time wisely. Ahhh, it's all about life choices.

My civilian job right now has just about nothing to do with my MOS. I have, however, just accepted a job as a systems and network administrator with a company for a little higher pay. I credit that to my unwaivering good looks and stunning charm more than my competence.

No problem at all. If you have more questions or need any books or anything, I'll help you out.

Haffner
08-21-08, 05:03 PM
The MOS of 0651 or 0656 differs alot between what sized element you are working for. It's apples and oranges when it comes to working at Bn level and working at Div level, aside from the NMCI bull**** that follows no matter where you go.

YutYut
08-21-08, 05:06 PM
Haff -- which level are you at? Please expand on this.

S/F

YutYut
08-21-08, 05:11 PM
http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/g3/MOSRoadmaps/0656-0659-0699.pdf

That's a link to the 0656 roadmap. I'm sure the 0651 is similar, if not identical. Haff, if you haven't done so, I recommend checking this out for professional development. Great way to know what training the Corps expects you to have as an 0651. It's not terribly difficult to go above and beyond regarding proficiency here.

WannabeMustang
08-22-08, 02:09 PM
Yut, you've been nothing but helpful.

I'll check the MARADMINs. I hope they hold because I won't be able to put an app in until at least October, and my active orders for the deployment are up around the New Year. It'd be awesome to get a bonus; hopefully they will apply to Active Reserves. I know they are a little separate, at least, since they compete against each other and have their own cutting score which are not related to active duty's. (Nor are they related to reserve scores.)

If I get wind that my app will go through, I'll probably take you up on the book advice. Hell, I'll probably take you up, anyway. The work was grueling here at first but lately it's taken a turn for the easy, and I've been working through a book on Ubuntu Linux. (I just dual-booted the laptop I have here.)

By the nature of the beast, I don't think an active reserve assignment will be at a 6 shop. Most likely they'll have one or two data guys working the comps for the reserve station. (If I remember my own station right.) Since I don't think they'll get bagged for motor T and hopefully not working parties, it looks like I might get some time for classes which would be great. Maybe if they're understanding they'll let me do the TAD for the advanced courses; I have no problem doing the paperwork myself. That's essentially what I'm doing for the active reserve app anyway.

Last but not least, are there any questions I should be asking? or help I should be getting with the books? In a lot of ways I'm just plugging in the dark because my field has nothing to with data. Thanks again.

Haffner-- can you elaborate on the differences at battalion and Div. level? Some of the slots available are in New Orleans which is 4 MarDiv's HQ, so if I end up there I might end up at the division level.

DixieWrecked
12-07-08, 11:00 AM
Throw out my two cents.. I was one of the first 0656's when the 4066 mos was voided. I got to field test the tdn dds servers individually and with the gateway back in 2002 when IMEF was gearing up for OIF. Wound up in the 9th Comm Gateway at camp commando kuwait. The servers, back then, sucked, four heavy and unruly cases. The servers at commando wound up being overhauled right after we got to Kuwait. The MOS is great, the knowledge can't be beat. Use it to prepare for CCNA, CCNP, CCDP, A+, MS, and a host of other certs. Loved the patch panels. The Gateway finally shaped up after a request for gigabit fiber optic routers and server upgrades. I heard later that the DDS was streamlined after we complained enough during OIF. I would have hated to be in a Victor unit lugging that crap around.