PDA

View Full Version : Buchanan high grad is proud to be a Marine

thedrifter
08-21-08, 11:18 AM
Buchanan high grad is proud to be a Marine

By JESSICA SIEFF / Niles Daily Star
Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:40 AM EDT

BUCHANAN - Seniors are gearing up for the beginning of what will be the final year of their high school careers. And as they begin to face some big decisions about their future - one area graduate is living out his choice to become one of the few and the proud.

Joining the prestigious ranks of the United States Marine Corps, "wasn't necessarily my plan coming out of high school," said Private First Class Justin Brown. The 2007 Buchanan High School graduate recently returned home during a leave following his graduation from boot camp on Aug 8.

Brown, who graduated with honors, was a Gates Millennium Scholar, earning a full scholarship to the University of his choice. He went west, studying global business at Arizona State University. After finishing his first year, Brown started contemplating a more challenging way of life. He said he began researching and talking to others about the Marines.

Since he enlisted, Brown said he's experienced both the rush and the patience of boot camp. The rush to each element of training and the patience in waiting to begin the mission, the career.

But, he said, "in those little rushes of time that you're waiting to do something," Brown said. "You're having the time of your life."

Brown has spent the last 10 days visiting family and friends in Arizona, Illinois and Michigan. Next, he'll join his company in San Diego for Marine Combat Training.

"I'm definitely looking forward to that," he said.

As he moves further into the process of becoming a "full fledged marine," Brown will begin working towards his chosen specialty of Finance Technician for the corps.

"It's not necessarily a job you'd think of for the Marines," he said. "But somebody has to take care of the finances for the (Marine) corps."

Coming home can be quite the experience for any recent high school graduate. According to Brown, that experience has only been amplified by his time with the marines.

"It's something that...you look at the world in a whole different way," he said. "There is a different kind of outlook on life."

According to the corps, there are core values that accompany the life of a Marine. "Honor, courage and commitment," Brown said are principles that "I'm certain I'll always have emblazoned in my mind."

His experiences thus far, he said, are hard to describe. But he said he's developed a strong honor for the corps and for his family.

Does he recommend the corps for those seniors who will face making choices about their futures soon?

"The Marine Corps is not for everyone," he said. "It's some of the most difficult training the country has to offer. It's challenging." He notes there are physical and mental preparations that those interested in the corps will need to consider. One needs to be prepared, he said, to develop strong discipline. "I'm not going to say the Marine Corps is the best thing in the world," he added. "But for me - it was."

As his time with family and friends draws to an end - Brown is headed for more training and a future that still holds some decisions for him to make. He's not clear yet on whether he plans to develop a long-term career within the corps. "The Marines have a saying," he said. " 'The situation will dictate.' I'll take it from where I'm at."

Until then, it seems Brown will enjoy the process of becoming 'full fledged'. But life would certainly be considered altered a bit for him now.

"On the one hand," he said. "The civilian sector is a lot of fun." That 'sector' would consist of his time home, with his family and his friends. But he's anxious to get back to "learning more about the corps..." he said.

"And just getting back to being a Marine again."

Which shouldn't be hard to do. The corps has another saying - 'once a Marine, always a Marine.' Semper Fidelis.

Ellie