PDA

View Full Version : I want to be a Marine. But ive messed a few things up...

Aries41886
08-21-08, 03:05 AM
Ok, I'll start from the beginning here.
My Whole life I've wanted to Become law enforcement, and tried it
and in florida, since theres' a hiring freeze, the aspirating has
become near impossible. So through ages 18-22 I've tried to establish
a career somewhere, to no avail. I was a security officer until a few months
ago, and was laid off due to lack of work. Lost a house, 2 cars,
most of my belongings. I guess you could say I'm almost homeless.
Now, where I messed up. Throughout my life, I've tried Marijuana 4 times,
and Cocaine 2 times. The problem here, is that the fourth marijuana use
was recklessly recent; I'm talking to a recruiter, and don't know if I
should tell them about the recent use, and see if they will work with me
while i get myself into shape, Or If I should conceal it and try my luck.
I don't want to lie, I am very ashamed of it. I would like to come
clean with everything. It was inexcuseable, thoughtless, and may of very
well ruined any chance i ever had at being a Marine, the way I feel about it.
I just want to know : Is there any way I can salvage myself? Will a Recruiter
just throw me away if i tell them about this?
I haven't touched anything since the recent use, which was a few weeks
ago. I'm PTing myself and trying to get in shape to lessen my time in
MEPS, that is if I make it that far.

JordanB
08-21-08, 03:21 AM
No you can still get waivers for that stuff, dont worry about it. If you did drugs in the past (even the past month) just stop now clear it with your recruiter and wait atleast a month before trying to go to meps. And dont try to be joining my Corps because you want to be a cop but got turned down, your reasons for considering the Marines better be better than that.

Aries41886
08-21-08, 03:31 AM
Sir, My reason for joining the corps is this: I want to be a Marine for the rest of my Life. my failures as a civilian are like a sign to me : I don't have any skill sets that are useful to society, and acquiring a skill set would cost alot of money that I don't have. I wanted to be a cop to do an important Job. Keyword, Wanted.

Becoming a Marine, to me, This means that for once in my life, I will have a purpose that is important, and something to have some ******* pride in for a change, rather than failure. I'm not by any means money motivated. Money , aside from what I need to survive, means nothing to me.
I want to be an elite, and i want to be proud..
And i'm just fearful, well, actually, i'm terrified that I've ruined this as well.

sparkie
08-21-08, 06:12 AM
You were just told you didn't ruin your chances. What part didn't you understand?
Your motovation is in question, since you're whining a bit. Don't feel too sorry for yourself around here, we don't want to hear it. If you want it, stand straight and go get it.

YutYut
08-21-08, 07:51 AM
JordanB and Sparkie know what they're talking about. We all have a story of sorts. All my brothers and sisters in my beloved Corps come from different backgrounds and have different motivations for joining. We often times can relate to each other in some capacity, but you won't find us dwelling on goofy sh*t in our lives and feeling sorry for ourselves.

Big Jim
08-21-08, 08:48 AM
Ok, I'll start from the beginning here.
My Whole life I've wanted to Become law enforcement, and tried it
and in florida, since theres' a hiring freeze, the aspirating has
become near impossible. So through ages 18-22 I've tried to establish
a career somewhere, to no avail. I was a security officer until a few months
ago, and was laid off due to lack of work. Lost a house, 2 cars,
most of my belongings. I guess you could say I'm almost homeless.
Now, where I messed up. Throughout my life, I've tried Marijuana 4 times,
and Cocaine 2 times. The problem here, is that the fourth marijuana use
was recklessly recent; I'm talking to a recruiter, and don't know if I
should tell them about the recent use, and see if they will work with me
while i get myself into shape, Or If I should conceal it and try my luck.
I don't want to lie, I am very ashamed of it. I would like to come
clean with everything. It was inexcuseable, thoughtless, and may of very
well ruined any chance i ever had at being a Marine, the way I feel about it.
I just want to know : Is there any way I can salvage myself? Will a Recruiter
just throw me away if i tell them about this?
I haven't touched anything since the recent use, which was a few weeks
ago. I'm PTing myself and trying to get in shape to lessen my time in
MEPS, that is if I make it that far.

This kinda sounds like my background...except for the drug use...I was on a path of self-destruction, death or prison when I was a kid. But then I judge showed me exactly what I needed without my ever knowing that I needed it. Some people aren't cut out for mediocrity but for somehigher calling...like the Marine Corps. Thats how I understand it...your past drug use won't be a problem...stay on the straight and narrow from now on and just stay focused on your goal of becoming a Marine...you'll get there...Good Luck!!!!!!!!

YutYut
08-21-08, 08:54 AM
I started barking and didn't provide you with much information. My bad. Be honest with your recruiter. I have several buddies who hold clearances that have done drugs in their past and had a few problems with the law in their earlier years. Lying won't do you much good. If you lie, make it through boot camp and claim the title, and are later found out...I've seen a Marine separated because of that. Don't be an integrity violator.

Aries41886
08-21-08, 12:44 PM
ive read each response thoroughly. Thank you all so much. I don't feel so nervous about speaking to my recruiter, in a straight up manner now.

jrhd97
08-21-08, 01:05 PM
Chances are real good your recruiter doesn't have a lilley white past either. Don't fret it, it takes more man hood to admit the mistakes in your life than to hide them and hope for the best.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-21-08, 01:19 PM
Don't worry too much. I've never tried an illicit drug, and that seems to be pretty rare. When I was enlisting I had a very difficult time convincing my recruiter that I had never experimented with anything. It was almost as if he was insisting I get the waiver because he assumed that I had to be lying about not doing it in the past.

The Marine Corps is full of people that have made small mistakes in their past. Just don't let it happen in your future and you won't have a problem.

Aries41886
08-21-08, 03:57 PM
Alright! I spoke with my sergeant about the situation. He seems to understand and is going to PT me to get me squared off urine wise and physical wise. This is like a blessing. Thank you all, All i needed was a little courage to come forth with it, and you gave it to me.
All I can think of now Is how proud I will be when I finally become a Marine.
Again, thank you. This website should be advertised.

Aries41886
08-21-08, 04:20 PM
by the way. I am requesting active duty, Iraq, For a combat mos in infantry.
I haven't decided what combat Mos i want just yet. But I know I want one of them. Maybe i'll see a few of you over there :)

CplKJSpevak
08-21-08, 07:18 PM
Good Luck Singleton! Go for it man.......