PDA

View Full Version : To old for service

Bacon0249
08-20-08, 10:58 PM
I am looking for some no non-sense advice on my situation. Its a theme I am sure you have all read about, but each is different in its own way. I am currently 27 years old (turning 28 in November) and have dreamed since child hood of being a Marine. I gobbled up books and material on the subject since I could read. At 18 I was a high school athlete and ready to do my duty. My mother, god bless her, begged me to go to college with the promise that I would go in as an officer. So I did just that, but I got into a bit of trouble in college racking up two arrests. One for DUI and one for tresspass. I also got very fat in college at 5'8 I weighed 230 pounds. Following college I knew I was too out of shape to even consider the military, but it was always there in the back of my head. 4 years later I made up my mind and went down to the OSO office. I was 26 just before my 27th Birthday. Got my ass into shape and was ready to go, but on a PT run with my OSO office I tore my acl and meniscus which required surgery. The surgery was necessary if I wanted to pursue my dream so I did not hesitate to agree to the cost and prospect of painful rehab. I stayed in shape, for the record I now weigh 160 pounds and hold the OSO record for pullups 35 and situps 115, and I am ready to leave. My rehab won't be done until middle of OCt. Dr. says I'll be good to enlist at that time, but my oso wants me to wait until the next officer class in Jan of 2009. I want to start my career. This all started with me wanting to be a Marine and it ballooned into this year ordeal of becoming an officer. Problem is I am not officially accepted for OCS yet because they need to approve a whole list of waivers so I am waiting for something I don't even know will happen. I want to leave, this is where my heart is. My dilemma is this. Am I chasing a dream? Despite everything I have over come, weight loss, surgery, and painful rehab is 28 to old to enlist? I know I can get a waiver but is 28 realistic to start a CAREER as an enlisted Marine ? If I do this its for the long haul so think that I will be 48 years old when I hit my 20 year mark and then what do I do? How will I be viewed by my fellow Marines? I could really use some insight. Incidentally my OSO is confident he can get me approved for OCS, and to their credit My OSO office is considered one of the best in the country. What do I do?

Sorry for the long post.

Mike

JordanB
08-21-08, 03:24 AM
**** no man, we got a guy in my unit whos 30, same mos as me 0311. Just keep in mind though that you'll have to be able to keep up with us younger guys if you deside to join up. And just personally, if you get the chance to go commissioned over enlisted Id recomend you take that route.

Phantom Blooper
08-21-08, 07:46 AM
I was 26 just before my 27th Birthday

No nosense...no shiat!Great officer material!:evilgrin:

sparkie
08-21-08, 08:01 AM
No nosense...no shiat!Great officer material!:evilgrin:
That IS Ossifer Materal if I've ever seen it.:nerd:

awbrown1462
08-21-08, 08:03 AM
Had a 29 yr old in Boot Camp we called him Pappy he became the Honorman

thewookie
08-21-08, 08:05 AM
Am I chasing a dream?

There's nothing wrong with chasing dreams, I don't want to sound like Oprah here, but that's what we all live for. What else would you do if you didn't have dreams or goals in life? However, at somepoint; you have to sh*t or get off the pot - figure out what you need to do to make that goal happen, and what you are willing to sacrifice to make it happen, and then get it done. If you don't or are not willing to do that then you are a daydreamer.

I know I can get a waiver but is 28 realistic to start a CAREER as an enlisted Marine?

Why not? Like you said IF you do 20 years, you would only be 48 when you get out. That's still young with with a nice retirement nest egg waiting for you in 15 years or so. And, make it through boot camp or OCS before you start thinking about doing 20 years - thinking about it too much now is called - daydreaming. Earn the title first.

How will I be viewed by my fellow Marines?

Marines are real simple to get along with, if you're part of the team. If you think you're something special because of your: age, job, skill sets, height, crank size, whatever - if you think somebody cares until you have earned their respect then you are wrong. You have to earn everything in the Corps, and in the Marine Corps the first thing you have to earn is the respect from the Marines around you. For a guy like you in the beggining it will be about your attitude and willinness to take orders from a 19-year old Lance Corporal or PFC to get the job done. Cause we don't care about anything else really but getting the job done. And then libo. If you impede that then you have problems.

What do I do?

Get it done. Stop talking and only dreaming and make it reality. Talk is cheap, good luck.

YutYut
08-21-08, 08:16 AM
My Gunny (now MSgt) had an expression..."It's all about life choices." It's already been stated, **** or get off the pot. That said, when I was on the Island, we had a 32 year old recruit. Gramps became the Honor Grad...probably because he suggested to God to call it "dirt" and had more time on earth than the CG ;) His leadership reflected his life experiences, which gave him a pretty unique perspective compared to the rest of us nutbags.

MyCorps
08-21-08, 09:22 AM
You have been given some good solid advise. Your decision to do this is only 6 inches away and that is the 6 inches between your ears. If you want it, do it. Your age is not the deciding factor here. It is the mental blocks you are putting into your own head. Go back to the OSO and tell him (or her) that you want the Jan 09 slot. Work your ass off until then.

Gary Hall
08-21-08, 09:24 AM
My Gunny (now MSgt) had an expression..."It's all about life choices." It's already been stated, **** or get off the pot. That said, when I was on the Island, we had a 32 year old recruit. Gramps became the Honor Grad...probably because he suggested to God to call it "dirt" and had more time on earth than the CG ;) His leadership reflected his life experiences, which gave him a pretty unique perspective compared to the rest of us nutbags.

..... YutYut, you should run for political office, you have all the earmarks. Your observations are much appreciated, demonstrating trying to minimize waste, which is what life is all about. ( life choices). Good work and Gung Ho, Gary Hall.

YutYut
08-21-08, 04:10 PM
Thanks Gary & Semper Fi.

Sgt Kelk
08-27-08, 09:18 PM
Get a wavier, and get in. Keep in mind you might get re-injured. Seriously man, your going to ****ed at yourself later in life if you don't give it a shot. Go 03XX, do four years, if you like it stay in, if not - well your still a Marine :)