08-20-08, 08:04 AM
Courant.com
BERLIN
WWII Veterans Honored In Berlin

By BILL LEUKHARDT

Courant Staff Writer

August 20, 2008

BERLIN —

Eugene Polaske barely considers himself a World War II veteran, even though he quit high school in July 1945 to enlist in the U.S. Marines. Polaske's unit was training to invade Japan when the atomic bombs were dropped in August, ending the war.

So he was sent to China to hunt down stray Japanese soldiers in that nation. He left the service in 1953.

On Tuesday, Polaske surprised himself by attending a ceremony honoring the town's World War II veterans.

"I'm glad I did. It's good to see people get recognized," said Polaske, who also got an award.

He was one of more than 300 people at McGee Middle School auditorium who gathered to honor local World War II veterans. About 100 of the estimated 320 surviving veterans living in Berlin were there to receive public service awards from Secretary of the State Susan Bysiewicz.

Bysiewicz began the ceremonies several years ago to honor emergency response workers, office holders and other people she says don't get enough recognition for crucial work that helps the state.

This year, she decided to recognize World War II veterans. Berlin is the 45th town Bysiewicz has visited this year to honor veterans.

"These folks saved the world. They're the real superheroes," said David Killian, an assistant to Bysiewicz.

Denise Roberts of Berlin was in the audience to take a photo of her friend's father, Robert Frost, who was getting an award.

"My own father was in World War II. He's been dead eight years now," Roberts said. "It's important to me to be here to say thanks to these veterans."

For some, Tuesday's ceremony is the first time anyone has ever publicly thanked them for their role in the war.

Contact Bill Leukhardt at bleukhardt@courant.com.

Ellie