PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii Joint Police Association honors K-Bay Marine

thedrifter
05-19-03, 06:52 AM
Hawaii Joint Police Association honors K-Bay Marine
Submitted by: MCB Hawaii
Story Identification Number: 2003516181739
Story by Cpl. Jessica M. Mills

HONOLULU,Hawaii(May 2, 2003) -- HONOLULU - Women in law enforcement are few and far between, so many times they may have to hurdle obstacles to shine. To recognize them, The Hawaii Joint Police Association honored female law enforcement officers with its 5th Annual Salute to Women in Security and Law Enforcement Ceremony May 2 at the Honolulu Country Club.

One of the women who was recognized that day was Sgt. Melinda Wruble, watch commander, Camp H.M. Smith District of Military Police Co., MCB Hawaii. There were 22 other women chosen as honorees, including Lt. Col. Sabrina Sanfillipo-Webb, commanding officer, Schofield Barracks' Military Police Bn.
Prior to the ceremony, honorees were treated to a brunch in the Banquet Hall to celebrate their awards.

Wruble's command submitted her name for the award, for her outstanding service as watch commander and as a Marine noncommissioned officer.

Wruble has been a military police officer in the Marine Corps for 6 years, although she has only been stationed at Camp Smith for two and a half.

As watch commander, she is responsible for posting and relieving every MP on post, inspecting each post and MP, and supervising the watch.

"Knowing that I work with other females and sergeants, my seniors still chose me over them. I really appreciated that pat on the back," she said.

Wruble came into the Corps as a security guard her first enlistment. She was not happy with the billet, but chose to stay for another enlistment to see what other options were out there.

The decision paid off. When she was stationed at MCB Hawaii, Camp Smith, she was posted as watch commander and succeeded with flying colors.
Wruble was most recently chosen to attend the Military Police Investigators School, which began May 12, and training in her new military occupational specialty.
Not only does Wruble work hard for the Marine Corps, she also volunteers for the Hawaii Drug Education for Youth, or DEFY, program. She works with kids outside of the school environment and helps them find alternatives to doing drugs.

"I've been doing this for two years off and on. But, since my schedule is so hectic, I can only do it for short periods of time," said Wruble. "Whenever I have time, I squeeze it in, mainly on my off days.

Sempers,

Roger

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003516182530/$file/wrublelow.jpg

Sgt. Melinda Wruble, watch commander, Camp H.M. Smith District of Military Police Co., Marine Corps Base Hawaii, poses for a photo after being recognized during the Hawaii Joint Police Association's 5th Annual Salute To Women in Security and Law Enforcement Ceremony.
Photo by: Cpl. Luis R. Agostini