PDA

View Full Version : Everything I should know before basic.

Scar
08-19-08, 06:00 PM
First post here so right off the bat, whats up everyone? Now directly to the point. I enlisted 20080620 and ship out on 20030112. I know lot of people ask the same question about what should i be prepared for mentally and physically prepared for before basic. I am not asking for this information. I have researched and asked several of my marine recruiters/marine friends that have recently enlisted and survived basic/and my step-brother who has been in 5 1/2 years, so i have an idea of the strain i will be put under during basic. My question is more along the line of marine knowledge. I'm looking to go for guide. I know it will be a challenge to achieve but hey, thats one of the reasons i joined the corps is for the challenge. If im going in, why not try to be the best in my platoon? I have studied everything on grunt.com and a few other minor sites on general orders, articles of conduct, marine history, etc... I know some stuff may be pointless to learn but the way i see it is i'll be ready for even the most pointless question. I've been working my ass off to get in shape and studying like no tomorrow. To give an idea of how much physically i have been working, i went from 225lbs at 6'3" to 180lbs in a timeframe of one month. And no i didnt starve myself or anything else. I just started eating right and working out Mon-Fri. So, sorry for the big essay there but any thing you guys have to offer to add to my collection of marine knowledge would be cool or any sites you know of that offer lots of history and facts would help out to.Trying to step it up and get ahead of my future platoon recruits.
:usmc:Poolee Julian

Artemis
08-19-08, 06:06 PM
How about you start by reading the rules and filling out a proper profile first.

Scar
08-19-08, 06:11 PM
How about you start by reading the rules and filling out a proper profile first.

Sorry about that corporal, I'm already in the process of doing that. Should have done it before hand.

Petz
08-19-08, 07:30 PM
you just need to know rank... that's all I knew and I learned the rest while there.... don't sweat it.

Wyoming
08-20-08, 12:19 AM
First post here so right off the bat, whats up everyone? Now directly to the point. I enlisted 20080620 and ship out on 20030112. I know lot of people ask the same question about what should i be prepared for mentally and physically prepared for before basic. I am not asking for this information. I have researched and asked several of my marine recruiters/marine friends that have recently enlisted and survived basic/and my step-brother who has been in 5 1/2 years, so i have an idea of the strain i will be put under during basic. My question is more along the line of marine knowledge. I'm looking to go for guide. I know it will be a challenge to achieve but hey, thats one of the reasons i joined the corps is for the challenge. If im going in, why not try to be the best in my platoon? I have studied everything on grunt.com and a few other minor sites on general orders, articles of conduct, marine history, etc... I know some stuff may be pointless to learn but the way i see it is i'll be ready for even the most pointless question. I've been working my ass off to get in shape and studying like no tomorrow. To give an idea of how much physically i have been working, i went from 225lbs at 6'3" to 180lbs in a timeframe of one month. And no i didnt starve myself or anything else. I just started eating right and working out Mon-Fri. So, sorry for the big essay there but any thing you guys have to offer to add to my collection of marine knowledge would be cool or any sites you know of that offer lots of history and facts would help out to.Trying to step it up and get ahead of my future platoon recruits.
:usmc:Poolee Julian

:no:

JordanB
08-20-08, 04:43 AM
Ranks important, also your general orders. Biggest thing throughout bootcamp to rememer is its all a mind game, they are trying to break you down just keep in mind this is the drill instructors job but really they are just trying to make you into a better Marine. Dont worry about ****ing up because everyone does, and work with your fellow recruits as a team because you cant make it through bootcamp alone.

FLRULZURSHPSCKS
08-20-08, 08:23 PM
haha I like that response Big Al

Chumley
08-20-08, 09:56 PM
:no: means capitalize the word Marine, poolie, and Corporal from now on too.

Welcome aboard!
C

KuperKMP
08-25-08, 12:32 AM
Any knowledge will help, but with the mindgame of bootcamp being what it is, you may likely be asked whatever the DI is sure you don't know.
"This recruit cannot find that piece of information in the knowledge, Sir!"
"Look again, then get on my friggen ******* quarterdeck!"
On a good day you'll get knowledge questions about rifle maintenance or history, on a bad day you might get "What is the difference between an officer and enlisted emblem?" (The officers' doesn't have Cuba on it). If you wanna be guide you just have to be the most outstanding recruit you can, and demonstrate that you have the leadership qualities to deserve it.

KuperKMP
08-25-08, 12:34 AM
I enlisted 20080620 and ship out on 20030112.
Also you will need a time machine.

Scar
08-25-08, 11:27 PM
Also you will need a time machine.

Already have one of those, man. It's this box in my backyard, and on the side I have written "Time Machine" in red crayon. But see, it can only go forward at regular speeds. I haven't gotten around to tweaking it yet.

(No, but seriously, thanks. Totally didn't notice I put 2003, no idea how I did that.)

RYDERKUR
08-25-08, 11:38 PM
Listen...You need to slow down for a breather. I understand you were trying to joke, but that "man" you referred to is a Marine, please show some respect. You could also use a little humility. You've posted 4 times and I get a whiff of arrogance. Leave that at the door and it will make your time here and in the Corps a little better.

AggieMoll
08-26-08, 12:28 AM
One tip don't refer to bootcamp as basic ,a recruit did that in my platoon once and he was on the quarterdeck for a longass time!! I was with him talking to the drill instructor when he said it so I ended up on the quarterdeck as well hahaha goodtimes.

AL49BGN
08-26-08, 01:38 PM
Listen...You need to slow down for a breather. I understand you were trying to joke, but that "man" you referred to is a Marine, please show some respect. You could also use a little humility. You've posted 4 times and I get a whiff of arrogance. Leave that at the door and it will make your time here and in the Corps a little better.
THE LANCE CORPORAL IS CORRECT SHOW ALL OUR MARINES RESPECT.YOUR BROTHER BEING A MARINE CAN EXPLAIN THAT TO YOU.JUST STAY MOTIVATED,WORK HARD AND MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL LISTEN TO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD IN RECRUIT TRAINING AND YOU WILL DO FINE.GOOD LUCK!

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-26-08, 02:41 PM
All you really have to know how to do is push ups, jumping jacks, flutter kicks, etc. If you don't catch on to the rest quickly at least you'll know what you're doing when the nice men teach you that it is important to know what you've been taught.

Scar
08-26-08, 06:05 PM
Sorry about that guys. I do understand that he is a Marine. He was poking fun so I thought it would be fine to poke back. I did not mean to sound arrogant either. That is why i put in parenthesis at the bottom saying thank you for pointing out my mistake. Once again i apologize.:(

volcomkid22
08-29-08, 07:58 AM
Hey we all make mistakes...just don't make 'em again. As far as information to help you "survive" bootcamp...go into it knowing it will be hell for 13 weeks...don't try to make it easy--you're there to graduate as a Marine--nothing we do is easy. Keep yourself focused on why you want to be a Marine..if you want it bad enough...then take it!

Jusaskme
09-04-08, 12:56 PM
It may just be me but it seems like the DI's can smell who has a big head, and there quick to bring you down to size. My suggestion is do not stick out as the guy who thinks he knows everything there is to know about boot camp or recruit training. There was a girl in my platoon and she was told that the DI's can only quartherdeck us for a certain amount of time, she made the misstake of saying this out loud. Well the DI heard her, she made sure that we knew that there were loop holes to that rule and if she wanted she could quaterdeck us for as long as she wanted. That was a good day.