PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for the Inconvenience.

TangoDown
08-19-08, 05:12 PM
Well, I'm good in the strength area. Such as pull-ups, crunches, etc. But my running isn't so great. Could they deny me even if I pass everything on strength, but not very good at running? Sorry if this sounds retarded by the way. My curiosity kills me man.

Travbabble
08-19-08, 05:38 PM
Can you pass the ist? Of course they can deny you if you fail. When I started out I couldn't do anything. You have to work at it, they aren't going to give you anything.

MontySpecial
08-19-08, 06:08 PM
If you can't run a simple 1.5, 2, or even 3 miles...I suggest you try harder. 13:30 for 1.5 miles is extremely forgiving. I can do in 12 and most of my friends do it in under 10.

TangoDown
08-19-08, 08:01 PM
Oh, I gotcha. I can run a mile in about 7 minutes. Is that considered good or does it need to be better?

Haffner
08-19-08, 10:07 PM
Think of it this way. A perfect on the PFT, the 3 mile run, is 18:00. If you can run one mile in 7 minutes, that doesn't mean you can run 3 miles in 21:00. You have to learn what you can do for your 3 mile time.

I'm tellin' ya, Poolees, all of you who live and swear by the letters IST are cheating yourselves. Later in bootcamp THAT is what you are evaluated by. In the Fleet THAT is what you are evaluated by.

Let this be an introduction to all of my Marines least favorite saying from me, "Practice how you play." Evaluate that one yourself.

If you can actually run 3 miles in 21 minutes, you're not in a bad spot at all. However, of COURSE it needs to be better. There is no such thing as perfect: improvement is always a possibility.

TangoDown
08-21-08, 09:40 PM
Thank you, Sir. Appreciate the help from all of you. And I'm trying with all my heart to do this. I'm sure I can accomplish being a couch potatoe to be in all around good shape. "Practice how you play." is a very nicely put saying.

Marine84
08-22-08, 08:22 AM
Could they deny me even if I pass everything on strength, but not very good at running? Sorry if this sounds retarded by the way.

Yep................retarded. But, I DO believe that's the first time I've ever seen THIS particular question so.........................you get an "A" for original stupidity!