PDA

View Full Version : Basic Training and Supporting Family

slhargrove
08-19-08, 04:18 PM
Hi, my son just joined the Marines and will be sent for Basic Training in San Diego soon. My question is this: He has a wife and new baby to support. Will he be able to send money home during his training to help them pay their bills? One recruiter says he will not be able to "touch" the money that he earns during Basic, but another says he can request to send money home. What's the truth?

Any information on this will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sherry

marinemama
08-19-08, 06:07 PM
No, he will not be able to touch his money whilst in boot camp, unless the rules have changed since February/May. He will be marched to a credit union and open a new account which he will have access to on Family Day. My son's had a friend that had a baby and she really needed help from family members, since she didn't have his funds...he hadn't saved enough to cover them in his absence.

Best of luck to him.

Haffner
08-19-08, 07:19 PM
He can set up an allotment that will automatically be debited from his account and sent to where it needs to be sent. He will probably have to ask to do this, but in situations involving spouse and children he can send no more than 50% of his 2 week pay check.

That's at least how it was May 2006. It'd be nice if some present day Drill Instructors could hop on this one or newbies that just stepped off the parade deck.

Petz
08-19-08, 07:28 PM
this is sounding about right... when he get's there he'll have to tell them the situation, and have the recrutiters put it in his file.... they will help him set that up... the main reason your son can give up all his money is because he IS paying for his initial issue of gear and his toiletries while there... so he'll need money to pay for it. if he doesn't have any then he's a drain on the rest of the platoon.... but he should be able to get money to them 'cause my platoon had a similar situation.