PDA

View Full Version : How big of a change was it for you?

syxx2003
08-18-08, 08:45 PM
I'd post this in the Ask a Marine forum but I'm not allowed to post there. I've heard a lot of people say that joining the Marines was a big change and the best thing they've ever done. My question to get some insight from you Marines is how big of a change was it for you after you graduated boot camp from before decided to join?

thewookie
08-18-08, 08:48 PM
I'd post this in the Ask a Marine forum but I'm not allowed to post there. I've heard a lot of people say that joining the Marines was a big change and the best thing they've ever done. My question to get some insight from you Marines is how big of a change was it for you after you graduated boot camp from before decided to join?

Like a light being turned on.:idea:

And, it is forever.....

eipoth
08-18-08, 09:07 PM
For me it was a pretty big change. The most important lesson I learned on the Island was always do the right thing, even when no ones watching. It seems simple now, but I didn't live by it before. Small things like littering when no ones around, that stuff don't fly anymore. Its kinda hard to explain, but the small stuff really adds up, and when you start living by the Core Values, you become a better person, not only a better Marine.

UsmcMotorT
08-18-08, 09:38 PM
I have a different view of the world than I did when I joined the Corps. I matured a lot more and have experienced a great deal.

After bootcamp, MCT, and MOS school I come home to find all my high school buddies doing the same ol thing; doing nothing with their lives.

I'm glad I've moved on to bigger and greater things. Nothing is better and more rewarding than the Corps, OORAH!

Achped
08-18-08, 09:48 PM
Gotta agree with Sgt. I was born in Florida, grew up in Florida, loved and lived in Florida.

I've seen so much of the world, Japan, Taiwan, California, Minneapolis, Chicago, and ****holes in North Carolina lol. Not only that, but I live in Hawaii. You are so much more independent and grown up in the Corps, ask a 19 year old if they could just travel to South Korea to visit. See what they say.

Marine84
08-19-08, 12:49 AM
It is a VERY big, drastic, traumatic change! The fog that I had in my head had 3 months to clear out and that light (that Wookie was talking about) comes on and it all makes sense. It's a traumatic change going back to being a civilian too - the longer you're in, the worse the heebie jeebies.

I was a hippie - I ain't gonna lie about it - jeans, Tshirt, long messed up hair, loved the boys and loved to get high. I never ironed my clothes - if there was any ironing done in the house, Pop took care of it (he was a Marine too), I never relly gave 2 $h!t$ about all that girlie crap. You've seen the Marine Corps commercial with the diamond in it? I was that diamond after going through Marine Corps boot camp. I stood up straighter, I was better mannered, I cared more enough about the way I looked to do my own uniforms and I looked pretty gddamned good doing it too. I even iron my clothes to this day - LOL!

Marine84
08-19-08, 12:51 AM
OH! And I inherited a bunch of Brothers and Sisters from different Mothers and they're all awesome as hell in my book!

Achped
08-19-08, 02:03 AM
Kim, you still liked boys though ;-)

egbutler1
08-19-08, 02:59 AM
Before I joined I was a typical teenager. I knew I wanted to be a Marine for years before I actually became one but I was still a teenager. Its funny because after serving and going to war and than visiting home all my 'ex-friends' where doing the exact same stuff I was doing before I enlisted which is why they are 'ex-friends' now. They are sitting there doing nothing. The Marine Corps changed me, and the change was for the good. If I saw my 18 year old self again I would probably vomit. Before the Marines was night after I graduated and became a Marine and to this day it was day. Basically just incase you didn't get it, I went from night to day thats how much the Corps helped me and changed me.

Phantom Blooper
08-19-08, 05:33 AM
You are so much more independent and grown up in the Corps

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????

How many weeks has this been going on?:evilgrin:

CplKJSpevak
08-19-08, 05:56 AM
One thing that always impressed me with the Marine Corps......The overall standards that you have to live up to every single day....Respect for NCO's, SNCO's and one another....If a PFC say's "Good Morning Sgt. Maj.!" Chances are that Sgt. Maj. is going to say "Good Morning Marine!" Back to you, That is NOT what I witnessed while serving on ships with our Navy Brothers.

Old Marine
08-19-08, 09:41 AM
It is a VERY big, drastic, traumatic change! The fog that I had in my head had 3 months to clear out and that light (that Wookie was talking about) comes on and it all makes sense. It's a traumatic change going back to being a civilian too - the longer you're in, the worse the heebie jeebies.

I was a hippie - I ain't gonna lie about it - jeans, Tshirt, long messed up hair, loved the boys and loved to get high. I never ironed my clothes - if there was any ironing done in the house, Pop took care of it (he was a Marine too), I never relly gave 2 $h!t$ about all that girlie crap. You've seen the Marine Corps commercial with the diamond in it? I was that diamond after going through Marine Corps boot camp. I stood up straighter, I was better mannered, I cared more enough about the way I looked to do my own uniforms and I looked pretty gddamned good doing it too. I even iron my clothes to this day - LOL!

Iron----What the hellis that. Just put you clothes between the mattress and box springs, go to bed and next morning they will be pressed:evilgrin:.

jrhd97
08-19-08, 09:50 AM
The difference is huge. My whole thought process changed. The change is radical. When you get back on the block everyone knows you are different, no longer one of them. You hold your self to a higher standard with out thinking about it. You will look at yourself before and not understand why you did all that stupid mess.
The scarier change was from going active to 1st Civ Div. For years after, the rest of your life people can pick you out of a crowd as a Marine.

Travbabble
08-19-08, 11:52 AM
It was a HUGE change ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Travbabble/98efe0dd.jpg

UsmcMotorT
08-19-08, 06:49 PM
It was a HUGE change ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Travbabble/98efe0dd.jpg

Sailor to Marine :D