PDA

View Full Version : Combat Fitness Test

JimmyK
08-18-08, 08:22 PM
Hello All

Damn its been a while since I've posted on these forums. Just wondering what all the poolees are doing to prepare for the CFT. All Marines will have to do one before 31 DEC and then have all of next year as a grace period before it goes against cutting scores/fitreps. So I'm kinda curious what all of you are doing to prepare yourselves for this and if anyone has heard any scuttlebutt about how the depots are gonna implement this into the training schedule.

JdnSmith
08-18-08, 08:38 PM
Well, to be honest LCpl. I haven't done anything specifically to prepare for it. I've definately been puting in a lot of effort working on my run time and pull ups. I do strength training so I'm sure that will help, but I haven't done anything specifically to prepare for the CFT. Have you been doing any training that you can share with us Poolees? It would be much appreciated.

-Poolee Smith

Hornet Handler
08-18-08, 08:43 PM
Hello All

Damn its been a while since I've posted on these forums. Just wondering what all the poolees are doing to prepare for the CFT. All Marines will have to do one before 31 DEC and then have all of next year as a grace period before it goes against cutting scores/fitreps. So I'm kinda curious what all of you are doing to prepare yourselves for this and if anyone has heard any scuttlebutt about how the depots are gonna implement this into the training schedule.

Do you have the ALMAR/MARADMIN # to show the grace period? There was no grace period listed in the order CMC signed on Aug 1st.

Brewer0311
08-18-08, 08:45 PM
If there is a grace period that is bull****! Every Marine should be combat ready and be able to pass a combat fitness test. Bottom freaking line.

I swear the USMC is going to be like the chair force in about 2 years if this keeps up.

CarolinaMarine
08-19-08, 01:37 AM
Email sent out by my command: (Sorry its in all caps but this is how i received it.)

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Matt/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> UNCLASSIFIED//
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o></o>
RTTUZYUW RHSSXYZ0001 2142038-UUUU--RHSSSUU.
ZNR UUUUU
R 012038Z AUG 08
FM CMC WASHINGTON DC(UC)
TO AL MARADMIN(UC)
BT
UNCLAS
ALMAR 032/08
MSGID/GENADMIN/CG MCCDC QUANTICO VA//
SUBJ/CHANGES TO THE MARINE CORPS PHYSICAL FITNESS PROGRAM// REF/A/MSGIDOC/CMC WASHINGTON DC C461TPS/-/2008AUG01// GENTEXT/REMARKS/ 1. THIS ALMAR IS THE FIRST OF TWO THAT INFORMS MARINES OF REVISIONS TO THE MARINE CORPS PHYSICAL FITNESS PROGRAM (MCPFP) AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE MARINE CORPS BODY COMPOSITION AND MILITARY APPEARANCE PROGRAM (MCBCMAP).
2. THROUGHOUT OUR 232-YEAR HISTORY, THE MARINE CORPS HAS FULFILLED COMMITMENTS TO MAKE MARINES AND WIN OUR NATION'S BATTLES. OUR FELLOW AMERICANS RECOGNIZE THAT LONG TRADITION AND EXPECT IT TO CONTINUE. AS A FIGHTING FORCE, OUR ABILITY TO FULFILL THIS COMMITMENT AND ACCOMPLISH THE MISSION IS DEPENDENT, IN PART, UPON THE FITNESS OF OUR MARINES.
3. I RECENLTLY SIGNED REF A - THE REVISED MCPFP. RECOGNIZING THAT MARINES ARE WARRIOR ATHLETES, OUR FITNESS PROGRAM WAS MODIFIED TO REFLECT THE SAME COLLABORATION OF EFFORT FOUND AT THE COLLEGIATE AND PROFESSIONAL SPORTS LEVEL. INTEGRATION OF LEADERSHIP, COMBAT CONDITIONING INSTRUCTORS, SEMPER FIT, DIET, NUTRITION, LIFESTYLE, SPORTS MEDICINE AND OTHER MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS IS ESSENTIAL TO THE ESTABLISHMENT OF A COMPREHENSIVE PROGRAM. MAJOR CHANGES INCLUDE:
A. DEVELOPMENT OF A COMBAT FITNESS TEST (CFT)
B. TIGHTENING OF BODY COMPOSITION STANDARDS
C. DEVELOPMENT OF A MILITARY APPEARANCE PROGRAM (MAP) 4. THIS MESSAGE SPECIFICALLY ADDRESSES THE CFT. THE SECOND ALMAR ADDRESSES THE BODY COMPOSITION PROGRAM (BCP) AND MILITARY APPEARANCE PROGRAM (MAP).
5. CHANGES TO THE MCPFP WILL CERTAINLY REQUIRE MARINES TO MODIFY CURRENT CONDITIONING PROGRAMS IN ORDER TO IMPROVE COMBAT READINESS. THE CFT MEASURES THE PHYSICAL FITNESS OF MARINES BY USING TESTS WHICH REFLECT OPERATIONAL DEMANDS. THE CFT HAS BEEN DESIGNED TO COMPLEMENT THE PFT AND IS CHARACTERIZED BY ANAEROBIC (SHORT BURST) ENERGY DEMANDS. THE CFT IS A THREE PART TEST WITH UNIVERSAL APPLICATION DEVELOPED AROUND OPERATIONAL VIGNETTES THAT MAY REPRESENT A MARINE'S COMBAT EXPERIENCE. IT IS COMPRISED OF THE FOLLOWING EVENTS:
A. 880 YARD MOVEMENT TO CONTACT (MTC). RUN FOR TIME WHILE WEARING BOOTS AND UTILITIES.
B. AMMUNITION LIFT (AL). REPETITIVE LIFT OF A 30 POUND AMMO CAN FOR TWO MINUTES.
C. 300 YARD MANEUVER UNDER FIRE (MANUF). PERFORM A SERIES OF COMBAT RELATED TASKS FOR TIME, WHILE WEARING BOOTS AND UTILITIES, THAT INCLUDE A COMBAT CRAWL, AMMUNITION RESUPPLY, BODY DRAG, CASUALTY CARRY, AND GRENADE THROW.
6. 1 OCT 08 IS THE CFT IMPLEMENTATION DATE FOR THE TOTAL FORCE.
FOR THE INITIAL PHASE-IN PERIOD, THE CFT IS A SEMI-ANNUAL EVENT FOR THE ACTIVE COMPONENT (AC) AND AN ANNUAL EVENT FOR THE RESERVE COMPONENT (RC) CONDUCTED DURING THE CALENDAR YEAR. INITIAL PHASE-IN PERIOD WILL LAST UNTIL 30 SEP 09. INITIAL GRADING OF THE CFT WILL BE PASS/FAIL WITH MIGRATION TO A SCORED METHOD (300 PTS MAX, 1ST/2ND/3RD CLASS) BEGINNING 1 OCT 09. THE INTENT DURING THE INITIAL CFT PHASE-IN PERIOD IS TO COLLECT ADDITIONAL DATA IN ORDER TO FINALIZE SCORING CRITERIA AND TO PROVIDE CFT FAMILIARIZATION FOR ALL MARINES. PASS/FAIL RESULTS WILL BE ANNOTATED IN UNIT DIARY ENTRIES/FITNESS REPORTS, BUT WILL NOT COUNT TOWARDS CUTTING SCORE DURING THE PHASE-IN PERIOD. THE PHYSICAL FITNESS TEST (PFT) WILL BE ADMINISTERED AS PER THE NORM DURING THE PHASE-IN PERIOD. THE FREQUENCY OF THE TWO TESTS (PFT AND CFT) WILL BE DETERMINED AFTER THE PHASE-IN PERIOD. HOWEVER, BEGINNING 1 OCT 09, CFT SCORES WILL BE INCORPORATED INTO CUTTING SCORES AND A REVISED FITNESS REPORT.
INITIAL PASS/FAIL STANDARDS ARE LISTED BELOW.
7. CFT STANDARDS
A. MALE
(1) AGE 17-26: MTC (3:48), AL (45), MANUF (3:29)
(2) AGE 27-39: MTC (4:00), AL (45), MANUF (3:55)
(3) AGE 40-45: MTC (4:19), AL (44), MANUF (3:57)
(4) AGE 46+: MTC (4:30), AL (43), MANUF (4:28)
B. FEMALE
(1) AGE 17-26: MTC (4:34), AL (20), MANUF (4:57)
(2) AGE 27-39: MTC (4:40), AL (21), MANUF (5:27)
(3) AGE 40-45: MTC (5:09), AL (17), MANUF (6:07)
(4) AGE 46+: MTC (5:20), AL (15), MANUF (6:30)
8. BASED ON PERFORMANCES OBSERVED IN TESTING, THE MAXIMUM TIMES/REPETITIONS TO EARN 100 POINTS IN EACH EVENT UPON CONVERSION TO A SCORED SYSTEM ARE PROJECTED TO BE THE FOLLOWING.
A. MALE
(1) AGE 17-26: MTC (2:45), AL (91), MANUF (2:14)
(2) AGE 27-39: MTC (2:51), AL (97), MANUF (2:14)
(3) AGE 40-45: MTC (3:03), AL (87), MANUF (2:34)
(4) AGE 46+: MTC (3:05), AL (86), MANUF (3:05)
B. FEMALE
(1) AGE 17-26: MTC (3:23), AL (60), MANUF (3:01)
(2) AGE 27-39: MTC (3:19), AL (53), MANUF (3:05)
(3) AGE 40-45: MTC (3:49), AL (45), MANUF (3:40)
(4) AGE 46+: MTC (4:12), AL (38), MANUF (4:20)
9. A VIDEO OF THE CFT, CFT LAYOUT DIAGRAMS, OPERATIONAL RISK MANAGEMENT (ORM) WORKSHEETS AND OTHER MATERIALS DESIGNED TO ENABLE UNITS TO PREPARE FOR AND CONDUCT THE CFT CAN BE DOWNLOADED FROM THE TECOM WEBSITE AT WWW.TECOM.USMC.MIL (http://WWW.TECOM.USMC.MIL).
10. CG TECOM WILL ENSURE ALL FORMAL SCHOOL POI'S ARE ADJUSTED SO THAT WE ARE TRAINING OUR LEADERS TO PLAN AND CONDUCT A VIGOROUS COMBAT CONDITIONING PROGRAM.
11. THIS ALMAR IS APPLICABLE TO THE TOTAL FORCE MARINE CORPS.
12. SEMPER FIDELIS, JAMES T. CONWAY, GENERAL, U.S. MARINE CORPS, COMMANDANT OF THE MARINE CORPS.// BT
NNNN<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/Users/Matt/AppData/Local/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --></style>

Hornet Handler
08-19-08, 06:22 AM
Outstanding! Thanks.

Chumley
08-19-08, 07:04 AM
If there is a grace period that is bull****! Every Marine should be combat ready and be able to pass a combat fitness test. Bottom freaking line.

I swear the USMC is going to be like the chair force in about 2 years if this keeps up.

I would say that this will bring the Marines into a better state of fitness than before. I hope they do the CFT 2x a year.

SFi
C

Brewer0311
08-19-08, 01:00 PM
I would say that this will bring the Marines into a better state of fitness than before. I hope they do the CFT 2x a year.

SFi
C

Oh I feel it will definately be beneficial. The fact that there is a waiver for it to let people "get into shape" for it was what I meant.

I just feel that every Marine should possess the ability to be fit for combat. Unless there is an obvious medical condition. My beliefs are usually a little different than most though :D.

ggyoung
08-19-08, 01:18 PM
All of you Vietnam vets remember the PFT That we had to do? Remember you had to have your riffle (M-14) field marching pack with every thing in it, helmet, cartridge belt and every thing on it including 2 canteens of water and combat boots. Then run the 3 miles in what was it 28 minutes. REMEMBER the old days.?

Chumley
08-19-08, 01:19 PM
Oh I feel it will definately be beneficial. The fact that there is a waiver for it to let people "get into shape" for it was what I meant.

I just feel that every Marine should possess the ability to be fit for combat. Unless there is an obvious medical condition. My beliefs are usually a little different than most though :D.

Agree. Every Marine has a great responsibility to remain in exemplary fitness to be as ready for combat as possible. I think that's the idea of this new directive, it's a little surprising that it's new - seems like it's common sense. If PFT's ( and now CFT's ) were held quarterly, there would be no opportunity to get soft for anyone.

SFi
C

ggyoung
08-19-08, 01:50 PM
PFT were held quarterly

Chumley
08-19-08, 01:59 PM
PFT were held quarterly

As they should be - Every MOS, every place.

Hornet Handler
08-22-08, 09:22 PM
I ran a CFT with the local poolees last night. It's tough. First time out results .5 mile in 3:30, ammo lift: 65, manuver course in 3:30.

I though I would have done better in the .5 mile. Did better in the ammo lift that I thought. Didn't have a clue about how I'd do on the manuver course.

Hornet Handler
08-22-08, 09:34 PM
I ran a CFT with the local poolees last night. It's tough. First time out results .5 mile in 3:30, ammo lift: 65, manuver course in 3:30.

I though I would have done better in the .5 mile. Did better in the ammo lift that I thought. Didn't have a clue about how I'd do on the manuver course.
I just looked it up in the MCO.

That's passing for my age group O_O.

Who'd a thunk it!

Whizdumb
08-23-08, 11:24 AM
This CFT is good to go. Personally, I think it's a better evaluation of physical fitness than events such as running or pulling their body weight. And it's not as difficult as Marines are making it out to be. If you put out, it's a piece of cake.

Hornet Handler
08-23-08, 12:50 PM
I really do like it better than the standard PFT.