PDA

View Full Version : Grades.

Rains
08-18-08, 02:24 PM
I really need some advice from people smarter then I am. Right now I am really stressed out and struggling with Math and Science, and I am worryed sick about the math and general science sections on the ASVAB, what is going to happen if I fail the math and general science sections on the ASVAB? If I dont pass or do good in these areas what will happen to my chances of getting a good MOS? Will I only get jobs as a grunt?
I really need some advice, I cannot concentrate on my studys at all because I am so worryed about all of this.

please help

DevilDogJAL
08-18-08, 02:30 PM
Just work on your general skills and you should be fine. The ASVAB isn't that hard a test.

I got a 95 on it and I'm a grunt.

Rains
08-18-08, 02:31 PM
What score do I need to get to able to get the 1371 MOS (combat engineer), do I need good math or science skills for that?

DevilDogJAL
08-18-08, 02:34 PM
No, the scores for that aren't much higher than the grunt scores. I think grunt scores are somewhere in the 30's...combat engineer might be somewhere in the 40's.

Phantom Blooper
08-18-08, 02:34 PM
Are you struggling with spelling also?:evilgrin:

Rains
08-18-08, 02:41 PM

Grammer isnt exactly my strong point either. :mad:

But I am not bad at spelling thankfully.

amarine0311
08-18-08, 02:41 PM
I really need some advice from people smarter then I am. Right now I am really stressed out and struggling with Math and Science, and I am worryed sick about the math and general science sections on the ASVAB, what is going to happen if I fail the math and general science sections on the ASVAB? If I dont pass or do good in these areas what will happen to my chances of getting a good MOS? Will I only get jobs as a grunt?
I really need some advice, I cannot concentrate on my studys at all because I am so worryed about all of this.

please help

WTF!?!
Are you trying to imply that Grunts are stupid? You are treading on very thin ice, boy. Now shut the f*ck up and go collect the shopping carts of the parking lot.

Rains
08-18-08, 02:44 PM
WTF!?!
Are you trying to imply that Grunts are stupid? You are treading on very thin ice, boy. Now shut the f*ck up and go collect the shoppng carts of the parking lot.

I am not implying that grunts are stupid at all Sir.

sshrader
08-18-08, 03:01 PM
ive been out of school for 4 years i took a practice test saturday. I scored a 50-60 AFQT whatever that is im not sure any one know appx what GT I would get with that?

Hologram
08-18-08, 03:57 PM
Well, I would suggest to you to just take it, and as a tip I would say to not stress out about it at all. Do as much stressing before as you want, but when you sit down at the computer, take a minute, collect your thoughts, relax, then begin. I've always found that I score much much better if I have a clear mind and I'm focusing on the task at hand than if I'm worried whether or not I'll pass or what jobs I may or may not get just because I don't know the answer to the question I'm on.

Now, after taking the test, you can take a look at all the jobs you qualify for based on your line scores (assuming your AFQT is good enough to get in in the first place: 31, I believe it is), and if you don't like what you see then you can buy a study guide or something and see if you can't improve your score after that.

That's my 2 cents.

sshrader
08-18-08, 04:25 PM
i think its 31 for army and 32 for Marines

DGardner
08-18-08, 04:29 PM
Study study study and study.

sshrader
08-18-08, 04:31 PM
Yeah ill probably get the study guide before I take the real deal, but atleast i know ill pass w/ the 50-60 afqt I recieved on the practice test. Im just wondering what kind of GT that would be since they didnt say. Im hoping to get 100-110

PhantomLord
08-18-08, 04:40 PM
I have the "ASVAB for Dummies" book. Its great. Comes with four full length practive exams and explains EVERYTHING. I bought it the same time I bought the Marine Corps history book. Also another great book to own. The name of the history book is Semper Fi.

KevinR90
08-18-08, 07:56 PM
Actually the min for the Marines is 31- heard my recruiter tell someone that just today (somehow spent 4 hours with him and some other poolees without noticing).

You really shouldn't have a problem with it, like it's been said already- it's a pretty easy test. Just go to the library and get an ASVAB study guide- study it, take some practice tests, you should be good.

Haffner
08-18-08, 08:22 PM
There are only two tasks on this Earth that are easier to accomplish than passing the ASVAB. The first is keeping your heart beeting without actively thinking, "Beat, Beat, Beat." The second is breathing without conscious thought, as well.

If you can keep your heart beating and lungs breathing without having either of those two actions as your active mental project, you're good to go.

Seriously...if you worry about what jobs you'll get with your score, you'll f*ck up and score low and I will laugh at you as I pour salt in the wounds. You have to take the damn test to figure out what jobs you're elligible for. You only have three options: fail, pass, and do excellently. Be glad you have those options - Marines don't have the option of failure or unsatisfactory performance.

thewookie
08-18-08, 08:42 PM

That’s great SSgt., thanks!

My two cents, don't think the grunts will take anyone; if you do you are wrong. I grew up with a kid who scored so low on the ASVAP that the Corps said no.

He ended up going into the Navy (yes they took his dumb azz - as a paint chipper) and then because paint chipping wasn’t enough for him, I guess, so he went on to lie about becoming a SEAL, still does to this day; he has a trident tat and bumper sticker on his truck.

He works for the local Sheriff’s office, and word is somebody there busted him as a poser.

Who cares – he is a rock.

SlingerDun
08-18-08, 09:07 PM
A childhood friend attended the University of Oregon with the intention of majoring in Geology. The extensive mathematics soured him {said he wasn't good at it} so he switched to and received a degree in Archaeology and directly landed a USFS job in Dixie, Idaho. Cruising the mountains extracting core samples and sifting through dirt for Native American pre-contact sign, in plots of land scheduled for lease of timber harvest or grazing. Cool gig but he got layed off.

Next was a similar job with the BLM in Malheur County, Oregon. layed off.

Years later he is now a structural and ornamental blacksmith schooled in metallurgy who daily not only has to read and interpret blueprints but also create and formulate algebraic notations and equations pertaining to complicated alloy measurements often lacking right angles.

Many of these now necessary skills he could have gotten a jump on in high school and during his first tour in college, and entered the occupation he originally dreamed of, a Geologist.....had he worked harder on his deficiencies of course.

--->Dave

Hologram
08-18-08, 09:13 PM
I have the "ASVAB for Dummies" book. Its great. Comes with four full length practive exams and explains EVERYTHING. I bought it the same time I bought the Marine Corps history book. Also another great book to own. The name of the history book is Semper Fi.Another good USMC history book is To The Shores of Tripoli. Very good book about the birth of the US Navy and Marine Corps and the first conflict of the new nation.

LuDog
08-19-08, 01:53 PM
i got a 53 on the practise

Phantom Blooper
08-19-08, 01:57 PM
i got a 53 on the practise

Thats nice...are you having a hard time with the spelling also?:evilgrin:

sshrader
08-19-08, 01:59 PM
Haha that was awesome!

Chumley
08-19-08, 02:23 PM

please help

Well, have you studied or are you just sitting around worrying until the moment arrives?

If you put for the extra effort, you will improve your odds for success.
So, what have you done to prepare?

PS - Stop p1ssin' off the Grunts!! THAT will get you nowhere. :mad:

MontySpecial
08-19-08, 06:41 PM
The passing grade is in the 30's and the recommended grade is 50. I'm not very mathematically oriented and I have to use spell check a good bit. Learn your weaknesses instead of studying over what's easy to you. I made a 65 because I didn't give myself any time to study.

Rains
08-19-08, 07:23 PM
Well, have you studied or are you just sitting around worrying until the moment arrives?

If you put for the extra effort, you will improve your odds for success.
So, what have you done to prepare?

PS - Stop p1ssin' off the Grunts!! THAT will get you nowhere. :mad:

Yes I have been studying, I am just swamped. But I just have to suck it up, thanks for the advice everyone.

And I had no intention of p*ssing anyone off, if I did you have my apologies.

Quinbo
08-19-08, 07:37 PM
I worked with a Marine that scored a 160 GT on the ASVAB. That is as high as anyone could possibly get. He was/is an 03 his entire carreer. He is currently a LtCol with a masters degree in history.

I worked with another Marine that was honor grad in sniper school. His GT score was 150. He was an 0311. When he got out of the Marines after 8 years it was to take over his fathers multi million dollar buisness. He had a masters degree in buisness.

I could go on to tell you of other infantry Marines who have ASVAB scores and education levels you could never hope to achieve. Dumb grunts my eye.

DevilDogJAL
08-19-08, 07:45 PM
I worked with a Marine that scored a 160 GT on the ASVAB. That is as high as anyone could possibly get. He was/is an 03 his entire carreer. He is currently a LtCol with a masters degree in history.

I worked with another Marine that was honor grad in sniper school. His GT score was 150. He was an 0311. When he got out of the Marines after 8 years it was to take over his fathers multi million dollar buisness. He had a masters degree in buisness.

I could go on to tell you of other infantry Marines who have ASVAB scores and education levels you could never hope to achieve. Dumb grunts my eye.

I got a 95 on my ASVAB and something like a 154 GT. I'm an 0351.

soldierGboii
08-21-08, 07:03 PM
he does have a point though. although some grunts are very intelligent. the vast majority are not so intelligent or well educated. this speaks for itself in alot of ways. sorrey grunts.

YutYut
08-21-08, 07:38 PM
Ok, ass -- please share your war stories with us of your time with the grunts.

DevilDogJAL
08-21-08, 07:41 PM
Haha, this should be good.

Quinbo
08-21-08, 09:19 PM
I heard there were only two people from Mobile Alabama with any brains at all and you aren't either of them. This you have truely demonstrated.

soldierGboii
08-28-08, 04:04 PM
i was a tanker in the Army and lol i will tell you some story's. they have a lot of determination those guys though.

NicholasITALY
08-28-08, 04:07 PM
Why instead of ask what's gonna happen if I fail math etc you don't pick up your books and you start to study??
OMG...

soldierGboii
08-28-08, 04:13 PM
I was in a mobilized infantry unit. The tankers were on tanks and the infantry were on Bradley fighting vehicles. when I went to Ntc in California we didn't have enough tankers so we had some CRUNCHIES..cough infantry guys who filled in the loader and gunner spots!

Phantom Blooper
08-28-08, 04:47 PM
My oh my..... with the vast experience and knowledge you have about Marine Corps grunts I can see that you will someday be the head of a covert intelligent operation and tell the sorrey Marine Corps...

soldierGboii
08-28-08, 07:41 PM
that may be true. as far as a poolee I am not. I will change that.:confused:

Wyoming
08-28-08, 10:47 PM
he does have a point though. although some grunts are very intelligent. the vast majority are not so intelligent or well educated. this speaks for itself in alot of ways. sorrey grunts.

You no good lowlife dip****.

Your entire life will son flash before your eyes.

I have a good friend who is a Drill Instructor.

Passing along this comment to him will make him happy as hell.

Your life, as you know it, is now not worth ****.

Rains
08-29-08, 11:18 AM
Before this thread goes any further I want to clear up that I do not think grunts are stupid or ignorant, what I was reffering to was the idea I had in my head that you would be placed in a grunt unit if you scored low on the ASVAB.

SGT VAS
08-29-08, 12:23 PM
we didn't have enough tankers so we had some CRUNCHIES..cough infantry guys who filled in the loader and gunner spots!

First off, CRUNCHIES is the gayest Army term I have heard yet. Coming from LAR, our infantry scouts, if the Vehicle Commander, Gunner, or driver got fuked up, could fill in for us on a dime because in the Corps we do a little thing called cross training. It is about knowing your job and everyone else's job so we can pick each other up if one of us falls (none of that ****** gay Army of One Bull**** you nasty pukes praise). You ever disrespect my Corps, especially my fellow grunt brotherhood, I will rain a ****** storm on your ass in Mobile.

Get the fuk off our site. If you want to become a Marine, find some ****** help elsewhere.<!-- / message -->

TMM54
08-29-08, 12:32 PM
Here's a secret to studying and learning how to study. You have to tell yourself that you are a perfect student, that you enjoy studying, and that you easily study and remember what you are studying. If you tell yourself these things, over and over again, and better yet, if you write yourself a list of these things as goals, over and over again, pretty soon you will program your mind to accomplish what you are telling yourself.

Right now, you are telling yourself that you have a reason to be stressed out, and you are telling yourself to worry. Stop doing that. Tell yourself only what you really want.

Someone told me this, and I went from a high school dropout to an
A student in a Doctorate program, and I earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in the process. If I can do this, you can also.

Your mind is the most powerful supercomputer on the planet, and this supercomputer requires programming, just like any other computer. Now what do you want as a program, positive and helpful thoughts, or negative ones? I think that the answer is clear.

Oh, by the way, telling yourself, over and over again, works for anything. Note the word anything.

My best thoughts for your success and Semper Fi,

Tom

Rains
09-02-08, 01:30 PM
Thank you for all the tips/support everyone, it is much appreciated.

BassMasterBling
09-13-08, 12:04 AM
now i dont know much about this test or anything im really new to all of this. i scored a 54 on the practice test but i am still worried about it. i am goin for the job as asecurity unit or something along those lines and my recruiter says ill be fine but i was wonderin if anyone has advice?

TSULLI
09-13-08, 12:45 AM
now i dont know much about this test or anything im really new to all of this. i scored a 54 on the practice test but i am still worried about it. i am goin for the job as asecurity unit or something along those lines and my recruiter says ill be fine but i was wonderin if anyone has advice?

Well the real test is A LOT bigger than the practice test. Although you should not have to study for it, if you want to boost your score a little bit I would suggest going to the bookstore and getting a book on the ASVAB. Again you should not need to study for the ASVAB it considering it is an aptitude test.

srinaldo86
09-13-08, 02:44 AM
BassMasterBling, a 54 is from what I understand a damn decent grade on the practice test. The ASVAB is very similar if not easier, its really just a test of logic and knowledge that has already been aquired. If you managed a 54 on the practice with your recruiter, and without aid from any outside source then you are essentially placeable into any job of the Marine Corps.

A word of advice from a long time test taker... Go in there confident if not cocky even, because this test is something you've been preparing your entire life for in all of your years of schooling. If you dont know what you're doing by now... well then you're pretty much screwed. I personally didnt score as high as I would of liked however I went it feeling confident and finished before all else with a higher score.

Anyways, the laptop I am on is running away with its owner so I must leave and will not return until Sunday. In the mean time, God Bless and Good Luck.

AndreBlanks
09-13-08, 08:26 AM
The ASVAB is seriously written at a 10th grade/Sophomore level. Just relax.

Walking Cow
09-13-08, 11:45 PM
The ASVAB is seriously written at a 10th grade/Sophomore level. Just relax.

Now I feel dumb. :cool: I scored a 66 AFQT (not sure how spelled) All 100s in the categories. Took the test on Sept. 10th by the way. It was all basically last minute. My recruiter asked me to start filling out papers on Friday the 5th, then he said "Ok big dog, your gonna go take the ASVAB on Wednesday (Sept 10)." I said "Ok sir." I know I should have prepared for it a loooooooooooooong time before, but I never did. And I STRONGLY suggest preparation. My highest math was Geometry, and I'm now a senior in Algebra 3-4. And I struggled in the math, seriously.

BassMasterBling
09-14-08, 08:37 AM
thanks. yea i took the full legnth practice test and there was a whole lot of stuff on it i have never seen before.

SGT7477
09-14-08, 08:59 AM
That’s great SSgt., thanks!

My two cents, don't think the grunts will take anyone; if you do you are wrong. I grew up with a kid who scored so low on the ASVAP that the Corps said no.

He ended up going into the Navy (yes they took his dumb azz - as a paint chipper) and then because paint chipping wasn’t enough for him, I guess, so he went on to lie about becoming a SEAL, still does to this day; he has a trident tat and bumper sticker on his truck.

He works for the local Sheriff’s office, and word is somebody there busted him as a poser.

Who cares – he is a rock.

Good one Marine, you can't fix stupid.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
09-14-08, 09:02 AM
i was a tanker in the Army and lol i will tell you some story's. they have a lot of determination those guys though.

You say army we have been fixing your mistakes since 1775.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
09-14-08, 09:04 AM

He has alot to learn GRUNTS are the backbone of our beloved CORPS.:evilgrin:

soldierGboii
09-16-08, 09:18 PM
You Marines are gay

BassMasterBling
09-18-08, 11:52 AM
yea guys i took my asvab on tuesday and i scored a 72

OB MSG
09-18-08, 01:20 PM
Good score there, Poolee! Now just work on that punctuation and capitalization. What are you looking to do in the Corps?

Keep PTing and working on that knowledge!

Hey Yellowwing,

What did he say? If you gave his post the moniker of "acting like a jerk," it was hopefully something good.

Rains
09-18-08, 02:16 PM
I thank you all for the suportive posts and what not. But now that I am in my new school year I feel alot better.
My goal is to learn enough in the next 10 months to ace the MM section of the ASVAB (Ineed 95+ to qualify for 1371 MOS).

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
09-19-08, 06:43 PM

Step OFF and never look back. Wall to wall education applys here!!!!

Thats #1

:evilgrin:

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
09-19-08, 06:52 PM
I thank you all for the suportive posts and what not. But now that I am in my new school year I feel alot better.
My goal is to learn enough in the next 10 months to ace the MM section of the ASVAB (Ineed 95+ to qualify for 1371 MOS).

Relax, Poolee Rains

Youngsters today have so much more at thier disposal to prepare for Recruit Training. Mechanical scores are not hard to practice or master. Theres plenty of study guides in the library's and on the net. Use them often to practice. Chat with your recruiter or teachers at school. They can direct you in the path to strengthen your weaknesses. Even if you bomb or not make your mark. Regroup study more and retest when you are allowed to take it again. Don't get wrapped around the axle on the little details. Let the proffesionals guide you and drive on...