PDA

View Full Version : Yuma Marine earns American citizenship

thedrifter
08-18-08, 02:13 PM
Yuma Marine earns American citizenship
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
August 17, 2008 - 8:39PM
BY LANCE CPL. GREGORY AALTO, SPECIAL TO THE SUN

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic, so help me God."

A Yuma-based Marine corporal spoke those words recently in a naturalization ceremony, taking his final step to become a U.S. citizen.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services naturalized Cpl. Luis Quintero, a Marine Attack Squadron 211 powerline mechanic, along with 350 new citizens from nine different countries in the ceremony.

"I am happy and excited," said Quintero, who emigrated from Caracas, Venezuela, when he was 3 years old.

U.S. citizenship will also allow the 20-year-old more options within the Marine Corps.

"Now I can get my secret clearance and have more (military occupational specialties) open to me," said Quintero, who has served 26 months in the Marines.

Watching as her husband took the oath, his wife ,Yeli, a Mexican national, expects to receive her citizenship in six to eight months.

Naturalized citizen Lt. Col. David Jones, Marine Wing Support Squadron 371 commanding officer, volunteered to speak at the citizenship ceremony.

"Look at what you can do to make the country better. What the future holds is what you make it," said Jones, who became a U.S. citizen in 1987. "I couldn't be where I am if the U.S. hadn't given me the opportunity."

The service at the Yuma Civic Center was the largest in Yuma history.

Ellie