PDA

View Full Version : Crunches

Do-Or-Die
08-18-08, 12:00 PM
Hey,

Does anyone know any good methods on how to get better at doing crunches other than by just constantly doing them. I do them every morning and night and whenever Im just sitting around, but I still only do about 71 in the two minute span.

thewookie
08-18-08, 12:14 PM
Hey,

Does anyone know any good methods on how to get better at doing crunches other than by just constantly doing them. I do them every morning and night and whenever Im just sitting around, but I still only do about 71 in the two minute span.

If you can do 71 - then you can do 80, it's all in your head.

Or your waist-line, it could be about resistance :sick: maybe lose a few pounds?

More then likely it's in your head. Make your target 100 crunches in two minutes and then you should hit 80 no problem.

Do-Or-Die
08-18-08, 12:20 PM
Ok, I just have to push myself harder.
It deffinetly isn't the weight issue, I'm 5'7" and 145, I dont think that is a weight issue, right?

KevinR90
08-18-08, 12:24 PM
You should start a nice ab routine. Just doing crunches over and over is okay, but switching it up- varying the types of exercises works well. Here's one routine I did:

1st set:
-50 crunches (feet in air kind)
-15 side crunches to each side (this means while on your back in sit up position, take your left leg and prop it on top of your right knee- so it makes a triangle. Then with a hand behind your head do sit ups from the starting position to your left knee. This will exercise different ab muscles. Then do the same for the right side) example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw_LAUwVsww&feature=related-5 Jesus Christs (on your back, arms out to the side. Legs straight, start with feet together 6 inches off the ground, bring them up as far as you can, then out to the left side, then back to the middle and down, hold for 5 seconds, then back up over your head, out to the right, back to the middle, and down, hold for 5 seconds... that's 1.)

2nd set:
-50 crunches
-15 side crunches to each side
-6 inches (put your feet together, legs straight, 6 inches off the ground for 30 seconds, bring up over your head like a Jesus Christ, then curl them back down and out for another 20 secs, back up and out, 10 secs, up and out, 5 secs)

3rd set:
-50 crunches
-15 side crunches
-Butterfly kicks (legs straight out, feet together, out kinda at a 45 degree angle, and kick up and down for 30 seconds, then open your legs out wide "hello dolly", back to kicking for 20 seconds, hello dolly, kick for 10 secs, hello dolly, kick for 5 secs) example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvpl8WV5_qo

4th set:
-50 crunches
-15 side crunches
-Bicycle crunches(put hands behind head, legs up like you're going to do crunches but instead move like a bicycle. example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSU_jK-cqaMDo that every single day and you should be good to go.

thewookie
08-18-08, 12:37 PM
Ok, I just have to push myself harder.
It deffinetly isn't the weight issue, I'm 5'7" and 145, I dont think that is a weight issue, right?

No, weight would not be the issue. I am sure in time somebody will post a link to some thread that will offer a solution. Although, with anything there's no simple fix, it usually takes hard work.

One good way to get over an obstacle or hurdle is to try exercises related to building your core, but not the same exercise. It's where the mind over matter comes in. One thing I would suggest is to try to build your abs doing exercises other then crunches. Try some hanging leg raises, hello dollies, flutter kicks, and alternating supermans - lie face down with your legs and arms out like Superman flying, then raise your right arm and left leg six inches off the ground and hold it for 5 seconds, then alternate with the other arm and leg. We used to make CQB students do the superman on the range when they screwed up - in full gear, we’d tell the Captain it was “to build their core and that’s good for shooting.”

Do-Or-Die
08-18-08, 10:50 PM
Ok, thanks everyone.
I will start giving that routine a shot, thank you.

coltie52
08-18-08, 11:09 PM
Ok, thanks everyone.
I will start giving that routine a shot, thank you.
I'm a Fatbody and I can do 92, what I do is take a 25lbs weight and just sit and do crunches for about a set of 100, then do 100 with out and then 100 with the weight then finish with 100 without the weight.
Also try doing more Push ups, I don't know why but they seem to help with crunches. Do supersets which is 5 regular, 5wide, 5diamond=1 set and do about 10 sets.
Let me know how everything comes along.

KevinR90
08-18-08, 11:57 PM
God i hate diamond pushups. Use to do a pyramid workout with those 3 types of pushups and pullups. I think it helps...

Petz
08-19-08, 12:02 AM
crunches is intended to test your endurance.... not strength... you should attempt to break through this plateau with doing incline situps with and without weights... and occasionally on you way up bring your elbow across your body and touch the opposite knee.... then the other way.... and this can get you past this hump.

Do-Or-Die
08-19-08, 12:03 AM
I do a crap load of push ups.
See, I used to smoke cigarettes, and to stop I tried occupying myself physically, so whenever Im sitting in my room and I even think about it I hit the dirt. I do pushups untill I can no longer possibly lift my body.

Do-Or-Die
08-19-08, 12:05 AM
What are incline crunches, legs lifted?

Petz
08-19-08, 12:10 AM
uh, you have your head below your waist.... damn-it! decline... my bad.... gotta get my head turned around I guess.

you know the decline bench at the gym?

Do-Or-Die
08-19-08, 12:15 AM
Yes SSgt, I have done those before I know what your saying.

KevinR90
08-19-08, 12:21 AM
If you don't have access to a gym, that ab routine I wrote out is nice. But like the Staff Sergeant said, change it up. Do it with weights and stuff, do the decline ones..... do decline with weight (i've done those before) that's a real workout. Just take a 35lb plate or something and do crunches with that on your stomach. For my football team, we use to go up to 3 or even 4 45lb plates for situps, it got a little ridiculous trying to crunch with so many though b/c you can't get a good range of motion.

edit: oh, and when you get up to the point to where you normally stop being able to do crunches, where do you feel it? I start out really using my abs a lot, but once I get around 60 or 70 I find I start using my quads quite a bit, and by the end- usually 100 for me- I feel it more in my legs than I do in my abs. Also.... try not to stop when you get up so high. Keep a good rhythm and don't take a break for as long as possible. If you do take a break, do it in the up position. Once you stop it is incredibly hard to get going again.

Petz
08-19-08, 12:21 AM
kay... so how bout weights? you hold onto a plate against you chest? you do the crossovers?

KevinR90
08-19-08, 12:32 AM
Well if I'm doing regular sit ups on the ground, yes, I use to just put the plates on my chest, hold them up so my balls don't get crushed and do situps. Are crossovers when you turn slightly when you come up to get the sides of your abs? If so, it's better to do it on a decline bench- and if you use weight with that you can only use one plate- holding onto it with your hands.

Another way is to have someone in front of you and toss a medicine ball at you when you come up. You catch it, go down, and as you come up toss it back to the person. On the way up and down you can also twist your body to get the sides.

I may not be a body builder or a real fitness person, but lifting weights for 4 years helps.

JdnSmith
08-19-08, 11:17 AM
I do a crap load of push ups.
See, I used to smoke cigarettes, and to stop I tried occupying myself physically, so whenever Im sitting in my room and I even think about it I hit the dirt. I do pushups untill I can no longer possibly lift my body.

Clean your room Poolee.