PDA

View Full Version : Father and son both to deploy to Iraq

thedrifter
08-18-08, 07:03 AM
Father and son both to deploy to Iraq
The Associated Press
Posted : Sunday Aug 17, 2008 17:48:59 EDT

GREER, S.C. — Creig Dacus enlisted in the military in 1975, and his son said he always knew he would follow in his father’s footsteps.

Within the next month, Trey Dacus will literally do that. The men, both from Chester, are being sent to Iraq’s Anbar province. The Greenville News reported that a weekend party honored the pair prior to their departure.

Creig Dacus first enlisted in the military in 1975 after graduating from Wade Hampton High School, and spent time in Djibouti, Africa, in 2004 and 2005.

“I didn’t know we were going to end up together, but I knew it was something I needed to do,” said Trey, who added at Saturday’s party that he works hard to be a good Marine, knowing his actions also reflect on his father.

“I try to be a little bit better than everybody, just to keep his reputation good, too. There’s a little bit more pressure, but you get used to it,” he said.

The two have been in the same unit, the Columbia-based 4th Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, for about 3 1/2 years. Creig, one of the unit’s senior enlisted officers, will leave Aug. 28 to help get supplies set up. Trey will follow with the rest of the unit in mid-September.

The party was at the home of Alison Lister, who is Trey Dacus’ sister.

“I’m more anxious for Trey, just because of his age, and I know that younger boys tend to be the ones that are more on the front lines,” she said. “Trey assures me his dad will be back in headquarters calling the shots.”

Besides nervous family members, Trey also leaves behind a fiancée. He proposed about a week ago to longtime girlfriend Sarah Gardner, also of Chester. Gardner said she will keep herself busy while Trey is gone by making the plans for an October 2009 wedding.

Ellie