PDA

View Full Version : Waiting..

Ben Hulett
08-17-08, 11:44 PM
So I've been living here (Manassas, Virginia) for the past 5 years, and I'm ready to do something with life. So I thought, why not try to join the best, I'll join the Marines. It's been off and on my mind for the past year or so, but I've decided that I'm doing it. I'm sick of all the bull**** I see on the news about how the war is bad. I fully support what we are doing over there, and I for one want to join up and show these liberal bandwagon punks what real men look like.

So I have a plan right now, I've promised my parents that I'll finish a few community college courses, and then I'm gone. The only reason I'm doing that is because they payed for tuition and everything. The classes end December 16th, and I want to be gone the day after.

Should I go see a recruiter now, or wait until later?

I'm a terrible swimmer because I barely swim at all, while I'm waiting, should I swim like mad and get better or will boot camp fix that?

I'm starting to excercise so I can be in shape for boot camp also.

Another side note is, I had asthma until I was 14, from what I've read and asked, to be accepted you can't have asthma past the age of 13. I run 3 miles every week, is this enough to prove that I'm fit? I don't have or have had any problems with it since the age of 12.

I would have joined the Marines immediately after graduation, but I started a full time job the day after because I got a pretty good offer, but I can't honestly stand sitting behind a desk every damn day while I could be out fighting.

So what I'm asking for is tips, comments, and suggestions...

Wyoming
08-17-08, 11:53 PM
but I can't honestly stand sitting behind a desk every damn day while I could be out fighting.

So what I'm asking for is tips, comments, and suggestions...

Jeeez! Go ricky, GO!

:no:

Parks
08-18-08, 02:25 AM
Welcome to LN Ben.

1. Not all liberals are bad. Some of us even join the military. ;)
2. I say start talking with a recruiter now, that way you'll have ample time to deal with issues.
3. Maybe not swim like mad, but improvement is always good.
4. Ask your recruiter about the asthma. Use the Search function to research the pulmonary function test.

Good luck. Be respectful, but don't let anything stand in your way.

DevilDogJAL
08-18-08, 02:35 AM
Learn to swim now. The actual swim training at boot camp is minimal. They tell you what to do to pass and then you have to do it.

TSULLI
08-18-08, 04:22 AM
You might have to get the asthma waived, it should not be to hard last time I was at MEPS I spoke to a few guys who had to get it waived as well. I would see a recruiter now, that way you can get everything out of the way and get into DEP. Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

cdogg0311
08-18-08, 11:17 AM
go get a asthma test done now and see if you still have asthma and if you dont when it is time for you to talk to your recruiter you will have all the med doc's to show him that you dont have asthma so your process will go smooth.

CarolinaMarine
08-19-08, 01:51 AM
I'm a terrible swimmer because I barely swim at all, while I'm waiting, should I swim like mad and get better or will boot camp fix that?

Swim now. You would rather not be an Iron Duck at bootcamp.