PDA

View Full Version : About Brotherhood

Calvin09
08-17-08, 11:22 PM
I have always heard before that when you are in combat there are two things that count, the mission, and the men who fight next to you. But, the more important one is your brothers in arms. I have had friends and family before who tell me that because I believe that, that I am "indoctrinated", by government propaganda. My mother tells me all the time "Do you really think that other men will care about you, they only care about themselves, if you die, they won't remember you, only you're family will". Dad is always saying "All that brotherhood stuff is just propaganda to brainwash young fools like you into joining". The few friends that I have always tell me the same thing.

Brotherhood is one of the reasons that I want to become a Marine. Call me crazy if you want to (my friends and family have) but I want to be in combat and know what it is like to have that bond of Brotherhood that I have heard men get out of it. I know that combat is without a doubt horrible, but I want to know that feeling that men who go through war have. I want to one day, hopefully, look back on my experiences and know that I was there with my brothers and together we pulled through. Maybe even see them at reunions and reflect on those days.

I hope that I am not sounding over dramatic or anything. But, is Brotherhood real, sometimes I have my doubts. Is it true that men at war would really look out for each other and even risk their life (possibly even give it) to save one another. I await any replies.
:flag:

Wyoming
08-17-08, 11:47 PM
Brotherhood is REAL!!

That is why the 58,000 names on The Wall will never be forgotten.

This is not to slight the other 'conflicts', just that this one was mine.

Petz
08-18-08, 12:28 AM
what would your friends and family know about true brotherhood? are the a part of a fraternity, have they served in the Military? if so was it during war?

they are speaking out of their ass, this kid, is propaganda... they feel that there is a conspiracy going on to recruit young kids... wow! how naive. A large percentage of the CEOs that run companies in the fortune 500 are former Marines... but hell, they were indoctrinated by the evil government...

just to answer your question... you should look into the numerous Medal of Honor recipients and then you can decide if brotherhood exists... I can tell you of a few who (they all do actually) send chills up my spine when I read the deeds they have done to rate the CMH.

I am astounded to hear that people really think the human race is fickle enough to turn their backs on one another in a time such as war... if that were the case then your parents would not have been born because their parents, your grandparents would be either dead or never have met.

tell your parents to shut the hell up for me would you? ignorance like that deserves some kind of response.

Semper Fi.

0231Marine
08-18-08, 01:16 AM
I have always heard before that when you are in combat there are two things that count, the mission, and the men who fight next to you. But, the more important one is your brothers in arms. I have had friends and family before who tell me that because I believe that, that I am "indoctrinated", by government propaganda. My mother tells me all the time "Do you really think that other men will care about you, they only care about themselves, if you die, they won't remember you, only you're family will". Dad is always saying "All that brotherhood stuff is just propaganda to brainwash young fools like you into joining". The few friends that I have always tell me the same thing.

Brotherhood is one of the reasons that I want to become a Marine. Call me crazy if you want to (my friends and family have) but I want to be in combat and know what it is like to have that bond of Brotherhood that I have heard men get out of it. I know that combat is without a doubt horrible, but I want to know that feeling that men who go through war have. I want to one day, hopefully, look back on my experiences and know that I was there with my brothers and together we pulled through. Maybe even see them at reunions and reflect on those days.

I hope that I am not sounding over dramatic or anything. But, is Brotherhood real, sometimes I have my doubts. Is it true that men at war would really look out for each other and even risk their life (possibly even give it) to save one another. I await any replies.
:flag:

To put it bluntly, your parents and friends don't have any idea what they're talking about. U.S. Army General William Thornson once said, "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines; Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." I will tell you from first hand experience that the brotherhood you speak of is very real and is something that you could not fathom until you become a Marine. In war, the courage and selflessness attributed to Marines is displayed on a daily basis. I guess your parents have facts to dispute 233 years of history?

This is an excerpt from Cpl. Jason Dunham's Medal of Honor Citation:

As they approached the vehicles, an insurgent leaped out and attacked Corporal Dunham. Corporal Dunham wrestled the insurgent to the ground and in the ensuing struggle saw the insurgent release a grenade. Corporal Dunham immediately alerted his fellow Marines to the threat. Aware of the imminent danger and without hesitation, Corporal Dunham covered the grenade with his helmet and body, bearing the brunt of the explosion and shielding his Marines from the blast. In an ultimate and selfless act of bravery in which he was mortally wounded, he saved the lives of at least two fellow Marines. By his undaunted courage, intrepid fighting spirit, and unwavering devotion to duty, Corporal Dunham gallantly gave his life for his country, thereby reflecting great credit upon himself and upholding the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.

That is the epitomy of the brotherhood that exists in the Marine Corps today and will carry on into the future.

JordanB
08-18-08, 04:50 AM
Especially in grunt units but other units too Im sure when you really need them not only your buddys but your team leaders and your sgts will look out for you, in the **** and in garrison.

Petz
08-18-08, 07:48 AM
jordan B... go check out Uniform U section and look for my ICM thread... you should update you ICM.... go!!!!!!

Marine84
08-18-08, 07:54 AM
It's real....................AND it covers generations.

Phantom Blooper
08-18-08, 08:18 AM
Brotherhood is REAL!!

That is why the 58,000 names on The Wall will never be forgotten.

This is not to slight the other 'conflicts', just that this one was mine.

There is NO slight Al....The 270 names on the Beirut Memorial were the brothers I served with.....in hindsight one of the names could have been mine.When I go to DC and see the Vietnam Wall,Korean Memorial or the WW II or I see a moving wall....I feel the reverence and respect because they regardless of service are my brothers or sisters.

Everyone has a cross to bear if involved in war.....these young men that received the MOH pothumously...today and yesteryear.... gave up the ghost for the brothers they fought with. And if they were fortunate to make it out of harms way and met on the block today....it would be just like the day they parted company!

Calvin09,I will call you crazy...NO ONE wants to go to war.....someone has to do it and that is why there are Marines....but if you go and your tour is up you will be wishing that you were back to finish the job, fight side by side with your comrades in arms,and take revenge for you loss.

But crazy in the sense your family and friends are saying I will not say.

A Marine goes to war because of his honor and beliefs for freedom,family,God,country and Corps and a host of other reasons.

To say you want to kill somebody....then you do have a problem...if not then you are doing the job that your brothers and sisters are doing for the bi-monthly eagle turds you get.

And to be fair to Marines that have never served in conflict....just by virtue of being a Marine you have established a brotherhood with ALL Marines through the ages!:evilgrin:

egbutler1
08-18-08, 08:23 AM
First off I would have given my life any day for the Marines that were under my charge and they would have done the same. This bond we have is like nothing else in the world, I can say that after...

iceman7570
08-19-08, 04:57 PM
The Marine Brotherhood is as real as it gets.I happen to know for a fact that it is able to span generations,a very close friend of my families is a 1stsgt(ret) and he treats us more like his kids than his own.Growing up our neighbor who we called "Uncle Bill" never knew till I came home from MCRD was a Iwo Jima vet himself and he was ready to fight his own son for trying to do to me what was done to him when he got back from Nam.He tried to spit on my uniform and got "Reamed" by ole Ssgt. Uncle Bill. Have to say his son was army and knows no Honor like we do in the Marines.

Petz
08-19-08, 07:14 PM
that's sad.