PDA

View Full Version : LAV Crewman...good job?

gobuffs10
08-16-08, 04:49 PM
I've been watching more and more videos of these things on the internet, and they are pretty cool. The website I'm using says that the number is 0313, so it falls under the infantry field still.

Any LAV guys here? Or any Marines that can tell me more about it? Pros? Cons? Specific duties? I did a search but LAV is not long enough to produce results, and when I did LAV crewman, it just leaves out LAV. It says I have to be a 4th class swimmer. Is that difficult?

BR34
08-16-08, 05:57 PM
I don't have any information on LAV crewmen but 4th class swimmer is the minimum that you must complete at boot camp and when being retested in the fleet. It consists of a 25 meter shallow water swim, 25 meter deep water swim, float/tread for 4 minutes, and jumping off a platform into about 15 feet of water. The platform is probably about 10 feet high.

jrhd97
08-16-08, 10:21 PM
LAV crewman. I was a scout with 2 LAI . later LAR. The crewman had a good gig. They did very few humps. Carried nothing. Everything they had was stowed either in the vehicle or on it. They stayed warm and dry in the winter and hot in the summer ( no they don't have AC ). They were constantly performing maintnance on the vehicles and guns. The mechanics were always busy so a lot of the minor repairs fell on the crew man also.

JordanB
08-18-08, 04:57 AM
Im in 2nd LAR, I'm not a crewman but a lot of my buddys are and most of them (the ones who wern't voluntold into the mos) regret it and say they wish they had stayed with the 11's. Lar's a pretty sweet gig if your an 11 though, no humps! Oh and yes the vics got ac now.