PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Injury and My Journey

Jyates383
08-15-08, 05:28 PM
I injured my shoulder a while back wrestling. I found out I had torn my rotator cuff and had orthopedic surgery back February of 2007, 3 anchors in my shoulder that dissolve. <O:p</O:p

Around October of 2007 I decided I wanted to pursue becoming a Marine. My recruiter at the time thinks it wont be much of a problem to get me in and I go to Meps in November. Of course I am DQ’d for my shoulder surgery like he said would happen. I go back to Meps for my Ortho consult, the doctor says I am good to go and my shoulder looks great. I get a note from my doctor who is a former army Col. saying that I am all healed up and recommended for enlisting. I'm feeling pretty good at this point and my waiver goes to Bumed. I find out around late December or early January that my waiver has been denied.<O:p</O:p

After doing some research about similar injuries I find out there is a wait time of 1 year after surgery they will approve waivers like mine, of course it can always go either way depending on who is looking at it. I'm not giving up on this so I will just wait and try to re submit my waiver after some time goes by.<O:p</O:p

Fast-forward 8 months later and here I am trying again. My recruiter has been stationed since that time. I have contacted the SNCOIC at the RSS, that I have known since I met my original recruiter to try again. He asks what has changed since then and I tell him well it has been 18 months since I had surgery and my shoulder has never been stronger. He is a good guy but just has never seemed as determined as my original recruiter, taking weeks to return phone calls or not returning them at all. I understand he is busy. Currently he tells me he is waiting on information from a contact to see what the chances of a waiver like this is but, hasn't returned phone calls even after he tells me to call him.<O:p</O:p

Has anybody had a similar injury and joined? There are a few RSS' close by, should I seek a new recruiter? The doctor who did my surgery was the former Presidential physician to George Bush Sr. and a former army Col. and said everything was good to go, I don’t know if that helps or not? I can get recommendations from all sorts of people including a Marine Lt. Col. and a former CWO4 etc. would that help at all? Any advice, questions, even motivation at this point would be helpful. Thanks.

DGardner
08-15-08, 05:30 PM
Get your butt up there into his office and ask whats going on... the direct approach... works well.

Jyates383
08-15-08, 05:35 PM
Get your butt up there into his office and ask whats going on... the direct approach... works well.

I'm heading up there tommorow actually.

DGardner
08-15-08, 06:40 PM
Well, there you go.

SlingerDun
08-15-08, 07:51 PM
....recruiter, taking weeks to return phone calls or not returning them at all....hasn't returned phone calls even after he tells me to call him.Out of sight out of mind.

Occupation: None....have you considered becoming a familiar face around the office until they tell you to disappear or process you? Thats how tenacious people secure jobs when they have not been flat out denied.

--->Dave