PDA

View Full Version : Underweight Problems

JoshF
08-15-08, 03:49 PM
Hi everyone, just wanting to see if anyone has any advice for me.
I finished up MEPS processing on Monday and figured out that I'm 3 pounds above the minimum weight for my height.
I weigh 130, the minimum is 127.
They have me scheduled to ship on Sept. 22nd 08.
Does anyone know a quick way to build up the muscle I need for the extra weight and physical requirements?
I can't even do the pull-ups yet or the 1.5 mile run.
I can run 2 miles in 20 minutes, and 83 crunches in 2 minutes.
Someone has suggested I take creatine to help build muscle mass, but I can't find any good workout regiments for underweight people.

Help is much appreciated :)

Brewer0311
08-15-08, 03:53 PM
Read the rules and fill out your profile if you want an answer.

JoshF
08-15-08, 04:07 PM
Sorry.. but I'm not really computer savvy and can't figure out what I need to fill in

DGardner
08-15-08, 04:08 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/profile.php?do=editprofile

click there... fill in

JoshF
08-15-08, 04:17 PM
Done.

Achped
08-15-08, 05:00 PM
Im guessing you eat alot huh?

BR34
08-15-08, 05:06 PM
Eat alot, lift weights, do pull ups. You've only got a month though, and that ain't much time to do anything.

Brewer0311
08-15-08, 05:40 PM
And DON'T take creatine. It's water weight. You need lean mass.

And I really hope you can do at least a few pull ups.

JoshF
08-15-08, 05:42 PM
So Creatine won't help physical strength other than just making me look bigger?
Should I eat mainly carbs too?

Brewer0311
08-15-08, 06:01 PM
Protein and Amino Acids. Weight gainer from GNC has protein and amino acids. Mix it up with milk and drink it with your meals. Work out more and you'll be fine.

DGardner
08-15-08, 06:46 PM
get off the computer and work out.

xpaz
08-15-08, 07:38 PM
As Mark Rippetoe would say: Do more squats.

Drink 1 gallon of whole milk a day, divided throughout the day. Drink a glass or two in the morning. A glass or two for a snack. A glass or two for lunch. Etc.

That's upwards of 3,000 calories in milk, alone, perfectly divided into ample protein, carbs and fat; combined with your regular diet, this should be plenty to gain. You WILL gain fat as well, but proportionally, the lean mass you gain should be able to handle it.

A note: you won't gain the lean mass, unless you're stimulating your muscles. That means heavy lifts, low reps. Do it safely. See a lifting coach if you have to, and explain your situation. Do squats, deadlifts, bench presses and shoulder/military presses. Don't screw around with curls or anything like that. You want compound lifts.

It's possible to put on 5 to 10 pounds of lean body mass in a month if you play your cards right. Don't screw around with supplements.

Grease the groove for your pull-ups or try a day or two of weighted pull-ups each week. For the run... well... plenty of threads on that already.

A month is plenty of time for you to get extra lean mass, and pull-up numbers. It's not always enough to get your running in gear.

BR34
08-15-08, 08:46 PM
Protein and Amino Acids. Weight gainer from GNC has protein and amino acids. Mix it up with milk and drink it with your meals. Work out more and you'll be fine.

I work with someone who takes those supps. He ****s twice an hour, every hour, until he goes to sleep.

MontySpecial
08-15-08, 09:32 PM
the min. weight for me is 115 and I'm 130. Hurray for being short!

Eat more than 2,000 calories a day. Eat until you want to throw up and hold it in. After I joined the DEP I went to Waffle House every day for three weeks in the morning and had: a double order of 'browns, toast, OJ, two glasses of whole milk, a bowl of chili (it's good anytime), and and egg 'n cheese omlet.

I felt like I wanted to puke for the first week, but after that I noticed I could fill up with more food. Then I started to eat a little more heath-conscience, but when you're out of a job it's SO much easier to use a quick buck on Wendy's than it is to dish out cash for real food (like sirloin and grilled chicken.)

Brewer is right, my recruiter said to take Amino Acids and Protein shakes (make sure you look at the calorie and fat calorie content) to get bulkier.

bonnjanry
08-16-08, 01:29 AM
I wish I had this problem instead of the other way around. Haha

yellowwing
08-16-08, 03:30 AM
Eat a pound of bananas a day?

Brewer0311
08-16-08, 06:44 AM
I work with someone who takes those supps. He ****s twice an hour, every hour, until he goes to sleep.

Tell him to buy the off brand of amodium (sp?) from the 7day store. He can take 2 pills a day and it'll cost like 3 dollars for two weeks. It'll keep him from doing that all day.

Sgt Baker
08-16-08, 07:07 AM
Eat a pound of bananas a day?

That's too funny! On my way to the hotel to stay the night before I shipped out for bootcamp, I weighed 102 pounds. My minimum weight was 100 pounds. My recruiter didn't want me to lose those 2 pounds overnight, so he stopped at the store and bought a bushel of bananas, a big jar of peanut butter, and a gallon of cranberry juice. He informed me that for my first Marine Corps order, I had to finish those before I left in the morning for bootcamp. I got no sleep that night for stuffing my face! But, I didn't lose those 2 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope it helps!

Abyss
08-16-08, 09:35 AM
I don't have the weight problem, but I do have a problem. I'm 5' 10" and I weight around 160. I can't lift or run for ****. No matter how hard I try, it doesn't help. I did track and I still didn't improve. Nothing seems to help. Every time I run, I puke. I really am getting low in spirits because everyone around me can do the drill faster than I can and not puke. The reason, or so I was told, was asthma..but I really do not believe it. I used to take meds for it and they didn't do a thing. I am at a low point right now, I feel that if I can pull myself out of the gutter, I will never make it in any branch of the service.

SGT7477
08-16-08, 10:41 AM
Hi everyone, just wanting to see if anyone has any advice for me.
I finished up MEPS processing on Monday and figured out that I'm 3 pounds above the minimum weight for my height.
I weigh 130, the minimum is 127.
They have me scheduled to ship on Sept. 22nd 08.
Does anyone know a quick way to build up the muscle I need for the extra weight and physical requirements?
I can't even do the pull-ups yet or the 1.5 mile run.
I can run 2 miles in 20 minutes, and 83 crunches in 2 minutes.
Someone has suggested I take creatine to help build muscle mass, but I can't find any good workout regiments for underweight people.

Help is much appreciated :)
Eat like a sumo wrestler.:evilgrin:

benw2200
08-16-08, 01:01 PM
or try a day or two of weighted pull-ups each week

He said he can't even do regular pull-ups..

I 2nd what xpaz said about squats and deadlift though. Squats are hands-down the absolute best for building muscle mass. Your gluteus maximus (a** muscle) is the biggest muscle in your body, and your quads are big as well. Do squats the right way.. go all the way parallel.. and I promise you will gain weight.

If you want to take a supplement, stick with regular whey protein or go to gnc, vitamin shoppe and ask for a weight gainer. Don't f**k around with creatine if you only have a month. This should go without saying, but eat. A lot. Eat till you feel sick, then wait a bit, then eat some more. You should NEVER feel hungry.. eat constantly.

RockSteady85
08-16-08, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't recommend just eating any old thing you have in the house, or eating the fattiest foods you can get your hands on. Those are just going to increase your body fat, and what you want here is to gain muscle mass. Muscle mass weighs three times more than fat when the volume of both is the same. I would eat a lot of lean protein (chicken, fish, things like that), with a little bit of carbs (nothing that is white, though, like white bread, white rice, etc.). If you eat a bunch of crap that has no nutritional value, when you gain that fat you'll just be burning it off when you get to boot and you will end up underweight or on the cusp again. Be lifting weights every day, and run every once in a while just to keep your time and speed up. That should help you gain a bit before boot.

KevinR90
08-16-08, 10:55 PM
I hate deadlifting. I never really feel like I'm working any muscles, though I know after doing them a while I can do more weight. I just don't like them. I'd rather squat all day than do deadlifts. Use to be able to squat 365 going down pretty deep. Now I have trouble with 225- but that's my fault for not sticking with it.

MontySpecial
08-17-08, 10:36 AM
I don't have the weight problem, but I do have a problem. I'm 5' 10" and I weight around 160. I can't lift or run for ****. No matter how hard I try, it doesn't help. I did track and I still didn't improve. Nothing seems to help. Every time I run, I puke. I really am getting low in spirits because everyone around me can do the drill faster than I can and not puke. The reason, or so I was told, was asthma..but I really do not believe it. I used to take meds for it and they didn't do a thing. I am at a low point right now, I feel that if I can pull myself out of the gutter, I will never make it in any branch of the service.

Hey I puke, too! Of course that's after four miles and tons of callisthenics's, though. Gotta built more endurance! Keep running, you have to eventually build up some sort of endurance after puking. Sure I haven't quite yet, but time will come!

Now to be serious. You wont achieve a darn thing in life being so pessimistic. Who cares if everyone is faster than you, as long you're giving it your all you should be fine! Unless you're whining about throwing up and complaining about pain. If you keep pushing through you WILL accomplish something.
If you're throwing up after runs try not to eat anything; just drink water.

Abyss
08-17-08, 11:06 AM
Hey I puke, too! Of course that's after four miles and tons of callisthenics's, though. Gotta built more endurance! Keep running, you have to eventually build up some sort of endurance after puking. Sure I haven't quite yet, but time will come!

Now to be serious. You wont achieve a darn thing in life being so pessimistic. Who cares if everyone is faster than you, as long you're giving it your all you should be fine! Unless you're whining about throwing up and complaining about pain. If you keep pushing through you WILL accomplish something.
If you're throwing up after runs try not to eat anything; just drink water.

I've been working really hard. My doctor thinks its exercise induced asthma, but I refuse to believe him. It really doesn't matter what I eat or don't it. Whatever is in my stomach comes up. I don't complain either, I puke and finish the exercise. Its not only the puking, I get lightheaded and my vision clouds up. I am ok with the puking, its the other affects that really bring me down.

Phantom Blooper
08-17-08, 12:08 PM
Ensure.....Protien...Full body weight training....double rations at chow!

Haven't seen your age...but if your old enough to drink.....two beers a day....was told by an old sawbones one time that two beers have as much protein as a good size steak!:beer:

:evilgrin:

Petz
08-17-08, 12:11 PM
beer has no protein... it has carbs.

protein will turn into fat while carbs turn into that one oddly named stuff that when that is all used up it'll then turn to fat.... just stick to extra protein.

Phantom Blooper
08-17-08, 12:21 PM
beer has no protein... it has carbs.

Already knew that...but as usual I was trying to be a smart azz!:beer:

:evilgrin:

Petz
08-17-08, 12:25 PM
.... sorry I ****ed that joke up for you... my bad.