PDA

View Full Version : What are the options?

mcd1050
08-15-08, 01:44 PM
My son is 7 months shy of completing his 3rd tour of duty and is currently stationed stateside where he has deployed twice. He recently received orders for a new duty station overseas for 3 years. How is this possible when he hasn't decided whether to re-enlist or not? It's hard enough on his young family when he deploys and they can visit family here, but with airline fares skyrocketing, they will never be able to afford for his wife and kids to come back to the States to visit while he is deployed.

thewookie
08-15-08, 02:02 PM
My son is 7 months shy of completing his 3rd tour of duty. -in Iraq?

and is currently stationed stateside where he has deployed twice. -to where Iraq?

I'm not following this, maybe it's me cause it's Friday after lunch and I'm a little droopy eyed. Help me out here, please.

He can deny the orders... if he plans on getting out.

mcd1050
08-15-08, 02:17 PM
Sorry...trying not to call him out. Has been in the Marine Corps 9 years (has re-enlisted twice) and is 7 months to the end of his current enlistment. Currently stationed in the US - has deployed to Iraq twice. Has received orders for new (3 year) duty station overseas - from which he will deploy (to Iraq - Afghanistan - ). What happens if he refuses the orders?

thewookie
08-15-08, 03:28 PM
Sorry...trying not to call him out. Has been in the Marine Corps 9 years (has re-enlisted twice) and is 7 months to the end of his current enlistment. Currently stationed in the US - has deployed to Iraq twice. Has received orders for new (3 year) duty station overseas - from which he will deploy (to Iraq - Afghanistan - ). What happens if he refuses the orders?

Out right refusal wouldn't be good,,, not sure what they do now but I'n my day that meant you were at your terminal rank and duty station.

He should speak to his monitor through the career planner and try to work something out. If he's got his shiat togther then he should have some type of leverage, I'd think.

Good Luck.

sgt tony
08-15-08, 07:28 PM
If he plans on staying in he will need to take the orders. This is a accompanied tour and his fairly will be able to go. Yes air fairs are high but they can use the military hops to travel, they may not be as fast but they can work