PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Greek plays resonate with Marines

thedrifter
08-15-08, 07:23 AM
From the Los Angeles Times
Ancient Greek plays resonate with Marines
Actors read from Sophocles at a conference on post-traumatic stress. The warrior characters express feelings that veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts can identify with.
By Tony Perry
Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

August 15, 2008

SAN DIEGO -- — At a conference dedicated to finding new ways to help Marines recover from post-traumatic stress and other disorders after serving in Iraq or Afghanistan, the Marines are looking to an ancient source: the plays of Sophocles.

An audience of 250-plus Marines, sailors and healthcare professionals Wednesday night watched a dramatic reading by four New York actors from two plays that center on the physical and psychological wounds inflicted on the warrior.

When it was over, Sgt. Maj. Tom Hall, who has served in Iraq and Afghanistan and will redeploy soon, said he could identify with Ajax.

"Ajax was infantry, just like me," Hall said. "The kinds of moral and ethical decisions he was facing are just the same as what Marines are going through now."

Retired Lt. Col. Jay Kopelman, who fought in Fallouja, Iraq, was taken by the scene in which Philoctetes and a younger soldier, Neoptolemus, talked of comrades killed in combat. Kopelman said he's seen Marines have similar discussions.

"That is something all warriors can relate to," Kopelman said. "It bonds us and makes us even tighter."

The readings from "Ajax" and "Philoctetes" were presented by the New York-based Philoctetes Project, whose artistic director and translator is Bryan Doerries, who has a master's degree from UC Irvine. The group has done numerous readings for literary gatherings and recently at the Cornell University medical school.

When the chance arose to bring his troupe to the Marine Corps Combat Operational Stress Control Conference, Doerries did not hesitate. "I think there is no better audience in the 21st century to be hearing these plays," he said.

Sophocles (circa 496 BC to 406 BC) was an elected general of the Greek forces during decades of constant war. Military service was compulsory. As a result, almost all the men in his audiences were combat veterans.

The character of Ajax, Doerries said, "is an ancient textbook description" of post-traumatic stress disorder. Ajax feels cheated of honors due him, betrayed by the generals and alienated from his wife and the society he fought to protect. "Incurable Ajax," the chorus says, "his mind infected by divine madness."

Philoctetes, marooned on an island after suffering a debilitating injury, also feels betrayed by an army that tossed him aside when he was of no further use.

The "take-aways" from the two plays fit the principal themes of the conference: PTSD and other maladies are real; the military and society need to better prepare the warrior for combat and then help him readjust afterward; and the warrior has to accept help, even if he has lost faith in his family and fellow soldiers.

As the chorus says in "Ajax," anger and violence will not relieve a soldier of his demons: "We will not cure evil with evil, for if we try, the pain will only grow worse than the illness that brought it upon you."

Ajax takes another path. He kills himself by falling on a sword given to him by Hector, "my deadliest enemy." Some scholars see his death as a purifying act, but Marshele Waddell takes away a grimmer meaning.

"By giving up, we fall on the enemy's sword, and the enemy has it their way," said Waddell, whose husband, a Navy SEAL, has done four combat tours and been diagnosed with PTSD.

The parallels between the Trojan War and the current wars were striking, said retired Sgt. Maj. Eduardo Leardo, who fought in Fallouja. "The combat stress, the inner conflicts, the loss of your self, all are the same," he said.

For the actors, it was new kind of audience. All have substantial film and stage credits: Bill Camp, Jesse Eisenberg, David Strathairn and Heather Raffo. Raffo, whose father is from Iraq, used an Arabic-style accent in the role of Ajax's wife, Tecmessa.

Eisenberg, who played the chorus and Neoptolemus, said the audience was one of the most attentive the group has ever had, including a recent tony gathering on New York's Upper East Side. The Marines responded at the finale with a prolonged standing ovation.

Strathairn, best known for his Oscar-nominated role as Edward R. Murrow in "Good Night, and Good Luck" said the civilian and military worlds exist side by side in U.S. society but rarely interact.

"This is kind of an extraordinary moment for us as artists to be able to apply our craft" to this military world, he said.

The actors sat at a table and read from scripts. They wore no costumes, but their powerful voices filled the hotel ballroom. Some of the lines seemed to have particular resonance, as when Tecmessa recounts being told by Ajax to shut up: "He turned to me and firmly said: 'Woman, silence becomes a woman.' " Said Waddell, "I've heard that -- in other words."

Retired Navy Capt. William P. Nash, part of a panel discussion that followed the readings, pointed to the scene in which Tecmessa says of Ajax, after he has flown into a violent rage, "there is nothing more troubling than to discover an evil crime of which one is the culprit."

That line, Nash said, reminds him of a Navy corpsman tortured by the fact that he killed Iraqis in ways outside the rules of engagement. "That is the corpsman's burden: how to forgive himself," Nash said.

Navy Lt. Cmdr. James Johnson, a chaplain set to deploy to Iraq with Marines from Camp Pendleton, said the moral from the two plays is simple.

"War really hasn't changed in 2,500 years, whether the troops are in chariots or Humvees," he said.

tony.perry@latimes.com

Ellie

thedrifter
08-16-08, 07:20 AM
Greek tragedies offer lessons for the ages to Iraq combat veterans and those who treat them

By CHELSEA J. CARTER

Associated Press Writer

4:11 PM CDT, August 14, 2008

SAN DIEGO (AP) _ The screams of agony from the soldier echoed through the ballroom-turned-theater, forcing a hushed whisper among those witnessing his sudden break with reality.

He is no longer with his wife, seated beside him on the stage; no longer with his comrades. In his mind, he is back on the battlefield, killing his enemy — the price of years of combat stress from witnessing war's horrors.

The wounds exposed in this reading of ancient Greek tragedies date back millennia, but the translated words still speak to Iraq and Afghanistan combat veterans and the doctors and therapists who treat them.

"Theater of War," a performance of Sophocles' "Ajax" and "Philoctetes," was part of a three-day combat stress control conference hosted by the Marine Corps that addresses post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety and depression brought on by combat.

"I wanted to keep the pain to myself, son, but now it cuts straight through me. Do you understand? It cuts straight through me," Philoctetes tells a comrade.

Just like Sophocles' characters, many of the Marines and sailors in the audience Wednesday night know the damage isn't always on display.

"I found that even 2,500 years ago Sophocles was using words like 'shell-shocked' and 'the thousand-yard stare.' Those are things that you hear today," said retired Lt. Col. Jay Kopelman, who fought in the fierce Iraq battle of Fallujah in November 2004.

"I know it's a bit odd to have Greek plays read to a conference of military people," said actor David Strathairn, best known for his Oscar-nominated role in "Good Night, Good Luck," who read the role of Philoctetes. "But you read these plays and you understand they are the first investigations into the condition of war in Western civilization."

Roughly 40,000 troops have been diagnosed with PTSD since 2003, making identifying and treating troops a priority. Earlier this year, Defense Secretary Robert Gates urged troops to get psychiatric counseling for wartime mental health problems, saying it wouldn't count against them if they apply for national security clearances for sensitive jobs.

"I don't know if the readings are going to get anyone to admit they have a problem. My goal is to open up a space for dialogue," said Bryan Doerries, who directed and translated the ancient plays.

Doerries was inspired to produce the performance by Dr. Jonathan Shay, author of the psychology book "Achilles in Vietnam," who took the position that Greeks used theater as a way to reintroduce combat veterans into society through the plays of Sophocles and others.

"We know that Greek drama was theater for combat veterans by combat veterans," Doerries said.

In the first-of-its kind readings for military personnel, Doerries said he selected the two plays because they were textbook cases of PTSD, even though the Greeks didn't have a term for it.

In Sophocles' "Ajax," the play follows the story of a combat veteran who slips into depression and attempts to kill his commanding officer only to be shamed by his actions and later have his wife and comrade try to talk him out of suicide.

"Philoctetes" tells the story of a wounded soldier left behind by his army, which then returns for him in the last year of the Trojan War. But Philoctetes struggles with the emotional trauma of accepting medical care from an army he no longer trusts.

To make the plays more palatable to a modern audience, Doerries updated the language. But some of the signature lines in "Ajax" that describe his mental state translated through the ages to the more than 300 people in the audience.

Some women in the audience nodded their heads when Ajax's wife, played by stage actress Heather Raffo, intoned: "A divine madness poisoned his mind, tainting his name during the night."

Each 40-minute reading was met with a standing ovation, and a nearly two-hour discussion followed with Marines and their wives lining up to share their stories and their take on the Greek tragedies.

Kopelman, who wrote the memoir "From Baghdad with Love: A Marine, the War and Dog Named Lava," said he was also taken by a scene in "Philoctetes" where two soldiers bond over their dead comrades.

"That's something all warriors can relate to," he said.

Retired Navy Capt. Bill Nash, a psychiatrist who was embedded with troops in 2004 in Iraq, said the story of Philoctetes brought back memories of a counseling session with a Navy corpsman who suffered from PTSD brought on by a combat-related experience.

Nash said the corpsman had promised a scared, young Marine private that he would make sure to look after him during the battle of Fallujah. The private was cornered by insurgents during house-to-house fighting and killed, calling out for the corpsman as he died.

The suffering Ajax's wife endured while coping with her husband's demons moved Marshele Carter Waddell to tears. Waddell is the mother of a Marine and wife of a Navy SEAL diagnosed with PTSD in 2005 after multiple deployments.

"I don't think much has changed at all," she said of the plays' relevance today. "The war came home with my husband all four times."

Ellie