PDA

View Full Version : A video that has aroused alot of thoughts in my head

Poolee1991
08-15-08, 03:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fkkdoDOIJM

Ok I've been freaking out about this video all day and my mother suggested I'd ask you men and women about your expierences and your thoughts on this video. Here's my problem: The main reason I wanted to join the Marines was so I could get money for college. In the video it said the G.I Bill only covers 1/2 of a public university's costs but from what my recruiter said there's a bill in Texas that covers whatever the G.I Bill doesn't. Is this correct? I'm serious about getting an education and becoming a Marine. And from what I've found I can't even touch my G.I Bill fund until after 2 years of active service? I'm not too bothered by that but I thought I would be able to start my studies right away? Now the whole issue about women being outcast..all the men I've talked to have been nothing but helpful and respectful, and the women I have met are very comfortable with their fellow male Marines. But the soldier speaking was in a combat zone and this issue has gotten me to the point of considering changing my MOS. I'm pretty sure it's possible that being in signals intelligence might get me sent near a combat zone. I don't want to put myself in a position where there's a high risk of being sexually assaulted. I've brought up the issue of changing my MOS to a "desk" job with my recruiter today. And a desk job is something I can live with but 26XX is where I want be at. I told my mother I don't want to base my decisions on other peoples bad expierences and becoming a Marine is something I want to go after. She responded that I'm right I shouldn't base my opinions on these soldiers expierences because so far my recruiter hasn't given me a reason to not trust her and no matter what she's proud of the choice I've made. But I should look more into these matters just so I can fully understand what I'm gettin myself into and maybe you guys could ease my mind. Please share any thoughts, comments, and expierences that you think would be helpful.

Achped
08-15-08, 05:22 PM
Wow...first off, this video is from 2006.

The new GI bill for veterans of the military who served after Sept. 11 2001 goes into effect August 2009., meaning if you get out of the military and rate the GI bill after August of 2009, you will get 100% of the tuition paid (as long as its a public university, private ones are tricky) and you ALSO get BAH for an E5 with dependents for the zip of the school, meaning if you go to school in Hawaii you will get about 2100$ a month JUST FOR HOUSING.

The old GI bill did have some flaws and sometimes pay outs could be slim, but with this new GI bill, if you do 4 years and get out, you have it made. Why do you think all the old timers were making a huge stink about it? Because now no one is going to want to re-enlist!
Signals intelligence?

Okay first off, as a female, I can't promise you that you won't go to Iraq or afghanistan, but your odds are significantly lowered. Secondly, as a female, your odds of being in a combat zone, as far as right now and today's situations go, are almost nill. At worst you will be on Al-Asad...which is better than living on Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, they've got a freaking nightclub out there for Pete's sake.

Sexual Assault? You can get sexually assaulted in a college dorm room just as easily as in a military barracks. The problem most females have is they go out drinking with literally 15 guys because shes "Very comfortable with male Marines" (your words) Now she's out, drunk, by herself, and a couple guys see an opportunity. Now Im not saying full on rapes don't happen, nor am I saying chicks don't regret something they did and cry rape afterwards. But that happens in the civilian world too, its just not as publicized because everyone wants to make the Marine Corps out to be the bad ones.
honestly, signals intel...go for it. It doesnt matter what your MOS is. I saw stuff like the above go on in Admin school at Camp Johnson. Really, alot of it has to do more with the girl's obliviousness to the fact that guys just want to get in her pants, than a full on rape.

Keep your head screwed on straight, don't let the thousands of guys sway you into making stupid decisions, and always question in the back of your head if the guy is sincere, or just wants some.

(He just wants some..especially if he's a Marine in Hawaii...about 6'4"...tan....named Matt...)

Poolee1991
08-15-08, 06:29 PM
Thank you, you've been a huge help!

Marine84
08-15-08, 08:09 PM
Matt - STFU! Go play with Eve for a while.

First off, I can't believe what I read above! It sounds to me that you will be one more disappointed girl because I can tell you, it won't be like what you're thinking. You'll be moving around too much in your first couple of years for "school" - the only studying you will do will be for your MOS - it's not like you get out of boot camp and go to the first day on the new job.

As far as the guys..................you'll be beating them off with a stick. Don't give any of them the notion that you're easy and you'll be OK.

Achped
08-15-08, 08:19 PM
Kim...what are you talking about? You'd need a machine gun to stop me, I think its cute when girls beat me off with a stick!

Poolee1991
08-15-08, 08:31 PM
I'll beat guys away with anything if I have too

BR34
08-15-08, 09:02 PM
Too add on...even though you can't use the MGIB as soon as you enlist you still can get tuition assistance, which pays for nearly everything involved in college, as soon as you hit the fleet. So you will be able to start your college career when you get in the FMF, time permitting of course.

CplKJSpevak
08-15-08, 09:16 PM
Do you still invest $100 a month for the first year your in for the GI Bill?

CplKJSpevak
08-15-08, 09:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fkkdoDOIJM

The main reason I wanted to join the Marines was so I could get money for college.

If that's the case why not just join the Army, or National Guard? The Fleet Marine Force is not going to be tailor made to every Poolee's need's, dream's and convenience's. But many Poolees' tend to think this is how it is. Since your already enlisted, Take this advice "Semper Gumby" you'll hear this alot it means "Alway's Flexible" and Be patient....Good Luck:thumbup:

1stRad2671
08-15-08, 09:41 PM
There are lot of billets for 2600s that don't deploy. Look up NSOC and RSOC as military terms.

Achped
08-15-08, 09:49 PM

Negative...they changed it the month AFTER I finished my last MGIB payment...go figure.

They say those who paid into it will get it back when they use the GI bill...but tuition is cheap at an in-state public university, I've already got a Florida state scholarship that pays 75% of my tuition at a public college anyways, the only thing Im looking at using the new GI bill for is that damn BAH, ****, at the school I want to go to its 1300$ a month! Dorm rooms are only 2500 a semester.... I get to pocket that extra $$$.

I want my 1200$ back uncle sam!!!!!!:devious:

Poolee1991
08-15-08, 10:18 PM
If that's the case why not just join the Army, or National Guard? The Fleet Marine Force is not going to be tailor made to every Poolee's need's, dream's and convenience's. But many Poolees' tend to think this is how it is. Since your already enlisted, Take this advice "Semper Gumby" you'll hear this alot it means "Alway's Flexible" and Be patient....Good Luck:thumbup:

Well what I meant was the main reason along with the fact that I want to become a Marine but I thought that was obvious sorry I didn't make myself clear. I just want to make sure I'm getting my facts straight. I know there will be factors I can't change once I'm active but I want to make sure I have the option of being able to continue getting a higher education if I choose to.

BR34
08-16-08, 07:33 AM

It's paid for 7 months for new Marines.

Marine84
08-17-08, 08:38 AM
I want to make sure I have the option

You have the option - you may be one of the ones that never gets sent anywhere and you get to take advantage of it. HOWEVER, when the Corps tells you to "pack your gear", you need to be able to deal with it and not be so disappointed because you have to drop school.

Covey said it best in another thread - the Corps is a whole other world. It's especially way different for us women. It will be the best damned thing you'll ever do for yourself but it IS a commitment. You'll ask yourself 1000 times "what the hell have I done?" but, you have to be able to improvise, adapt and overcome. I went in thinking I would take advantage of the education - I put money in for about the first 2 years and cashed it out. As curious as I am, I decided I wasn't going to learn what I wanted in a classroom. It was money very well spent :banana:;) (that's all I can say about that).

jarheadlady
08-17-08, 09:08 AM
Where is that damn thread I posted about being a woman in the Corps? Damn it... 84.. do you remember? Help an old Gunny out will ya??

OK.. to start... yes, Texas does have its own vet benefits. Your recruiter is not lying ot you about that.

Second, as the Lcpl stated, being a woman in the Corps is difficult at times but you will have to make some decisions as to what kind of woman Marine you want to be. Wait... let me see if I can find that thread and post it here.

jarheadlady
08-17-08, 09:15 AM
I posted this else where and have copied and pasted to here....
As was said, do not worry about being in the testosterone pool every day. Its there, put on a life jacket and jump right in.

This is not going to be a popular post among other female Marines on this site, but I will and always have said exactly what is on my mind so here it goes. The following comes from all my years experience in and around the Corps. I have said before, but perhaps not to you, my father was a career Marine and I am a career Marine. My son is now a career Marine, so I have seen a few minutes of life in the Corps.

When you ask females why they joined the Corps you will get one of two answers;
The first being "I wanted a challenge and the Corps was it for me." Or, "I grew up around Marines and this is where I wanted to be since I was a little girl." I raise the BS flag on both. OK, yea there are a few who really mean it, but there are also MANY females that join because.. well to be honest, we have the hottest men in the hottest uniforms. Its like shooting fish in a barrel. Oh and before you ask, yes, I am married but his is a civilian and has never been in the military. I am also the mother of 4, two of them serving their country and 2 of them with masters degrees serving in teaching capacitys.

Lets take a platoon of 50 women at PI. After graduation within a year 40 of them will have slept with at least 2 or 3 different Marines if not more. Of those 40, 25 of them will marry a Marine and 15 of them will get pregnant (6-10 of those out of wedlock). Of those 15 only 8 of them will stay their full 4 years. Even when they stay the full 4 years, they become a burden to their shops and fellow Marines. They become undeployable during their pregnancy and on light duty so their jobs must be fulfilled by other Marines. Back to the 10 that were left over at the beginning. 7 of those 10 will be considered "dykes" by other Marines (both male and female) whether or not it is true. The rest of them will keep their heads down and work their as*es off and will be respected by her peers. Of those 10 2-5 of them will reenlist and a couple of them will make the Corps a career.

Those numbers are not a proven fact, just MY opinion as to what I have observed during my lifetime around my Corps.

Decide which one you want to be before you ship to PI. If you want to be one of those last ones, go for it. If you don't, go somewhere else. Our Marines do not need the extra weight on their backs.

jarheadlady
08-17-08, 09:18 AM
Damn.. .OK.. one more thing... the youtube video was made by a peace activist group. If you check out their website they are just like Code Pink in Berkely. If you want to listen to them and read/watch their trash, then you are not cut out for the EGA.

Poolee1991
08-17-08, 04:20 PM
Thank you Gunnery Sergeant this has been the best advice yet. I don't even have to think twice about what kind of Marine I want to be. I've always been able to hold up my own weight and more. I refuse to be one of those women who ends up getting pregnant and becomes a burden on my unit. I like to get my job done and stay out of people's way. I will not sleep around (yes I know there are fine men in the Corps) I have priorities and being a good Marine is my MAIN one. If having to sacrifice my education is what I'll have to do then so be it I can always go back to that after I have done my service. For now I'll continue to focus on earning that title and after that I will focus on making all of you proud.