PDA

View Full Version : Army Brochure

MontySpecial
08-14-08, 02:08 PM
I just received an Army brochure in the mail. It's nothing foreshadowing, because it's something I just refuse to think about. I ripped it up and threw it in the trash. I might give them a call, and not to rub it in their faces that they were too slow to grab my attention, I think letting them know I'm a Marine Poolee would be suffice! Also just in case they send me another one while endearing the hardships of PI, I'll be sure to give them a "hello" in my Dress Blues.

AL49BGN
08-14-08, 02:22 PM
Just Leave The Army Pukes Alone And Go Earn Your Title.

slimmy07
08-14-08, 02:31 PM
I just received an Army brochure in the mail. It's nothing foreshadowing, because it's something I just refuse to think about. I ripped it up and threw it in the trash. I might give them a call, and not to rub it in their faces that they were too slow to grab my attention, I think letting them know I'm a Marine Poolee would be suffice! Also just in case they send me another one while endearing the hardships of PI, I'll be sure to give them a "hello" in my Dress Blues.

Stuff like that is usually generated by the Army recruiting command HQ. They send things out like that if you ever signed up for anything on *************, ever filled out military on the ASVAB that you took at school, filled out an army flier even a few years back, etc. etc. Also, sometimes recruiters will open up a high school list and just do mail outs to all the students that they have not spoken to. The best thing to do so you dont get any phne calls or junk mail is to call the local Army office and tell them your a Marine poolee or to call the buisness card (if one came with the brochure) and let him/her know. Dont get mad, they are just doing their job. I have sent Marine Corps literature to Army Deps, Navy DEPS, etc. not knowing that they were in the DEP already.

Do-Or-Die
08-14-08, 02:32 PM
I know what your saying Monty, my dad was a Marine and for some reason I have this wierd unexplainable distaste for the Army.

Achped
08-14-08, 03:13 PM
Do or Die...you ever served in the military?

Do-Or-Die
08-14-08, 03:16 PM
No LCpl, sorry I was out of line.

Achped
08-14-08, 03:23 PM
I understand your reasoning for disliking the Army, trust me, I've seen it in person from a Marine's perspective.

But until you've put on a uniform and served your country the way they are, you can't and shouldn't say anything about them.

AL49BGN
08-14-08, 03:28 PM
Do or Die be respectful toward those serving their country.

Rowe907
08-14-08, 03:38 PM
The Navy was calling me all the time about a month after I depped in. I had to tell him I joined the Marine Corps and explain my MOS and blah blah. Ifn you do call the Army recruiter, be extremely polite. Im talkin' polite. Remember you represent the Pool and the Marine Corps. Hes just trying to do his job.

PERSICH
08-14-08, 03:40 PM
DO or die you should know that the U.S Army has served with honor in many places you have probably heard of Yorktown,Gettysburg,Normandy,Bastogne,Battle of the Bulge,all over Italy and North Africa, Okinawa yes I said Okinawa, Korea in the Chosin Reservoir ,Vietnam and today in Iraq an Afganistan. Thats a lot of young men that have died for our freedom. Just because the U.S. Army dosent teach is soldiers about its history and how to be proud of those that came before dosent mean we have to be be ignorant of it. As Marines we can all respect former warriors that did thier part for our freedom no matter thier branch of service. That being said the Marine Corps is and always will be head and shoulder above the other services of the U.S. and the rest of the world.

JOConnell
08-14-08, 03:41 PM

It was just yesterday that I got an Army brochure in the mail. I walked it straight over to the shredder. Ever since I entered the DEP at MEPS I get a couple a week from various branches. Its the classic government scenario, the brain dosn't communicate with the foot. Just take pride in your choice and create some satisfaction by destroying whatever they send you.

JoeInVille
08-14-08, 03:47 PM
A Navy recruiter was trying to recruit me and he knew I was in the Marine Corps DEP so yes I do have a distaste for the Navy. He was talking **** about the Marine Corps and saying that because I did well on the ASVAB I shouldnt have joined the Marines. It left me with a strong dislike for the Navy to be honest.

Do-Or-Die
08-14-08, 03:51 PM
I realized my ignorance shortly after I posted it, I appologize and every member of the Armed Forces deserves respect, especially from someone in my possition.

soldierGboii
08-14-08, 04:04 PM
this is really amusing to read. i don't care if you like the Army or not. as for you Poolees you have no room to service hate. who cares if you want to show up at the Army recruiting office in your dress blues? this is just a act of immaturity in my eyes.

Achped
08-14-08, 04:57 PM
I gotta agree with you GBoii...

Why wear your blues to flaunt in front of the army recruiter (Who by the way has probably been to Iraq, has more ribbons than you, has more rank than you, he has everything on you except the title and that uniform...)

Wear it in front of some females who will .... you know...

Garrett90
08-14-08, 05:08 PM
I had an Army recruiter calling my house constantly, but I was always at work so my mom would pick up and say I wasn't home. He finally got a hold of me one day and asked why I picked Marines, and I said I want to be a part of the Best. He then started his thing on Army Rangers and stuff, and asked if I had ever thought about switching, and when I said no he said why do I want the Marines so much which is when I said my father served 8 years in the Corps. At that point he just said, "Oh, I understand then. Well give me a call if things don't work out." Basically, he understands that I've had it drilled into my head that the Marines are the best since I was born. People know that Marine families are all like that, so they understand. Of course your going to think the Marines are the best, but don't hate on any other service because they are all doing the same job. Maybe for different reasons, maybe with a different attitude, and maybe at a different quality than the Marines, but they still signed that dotted line, and they still put on that uniform every day.

RockSteady85
08-14-08, 05:08 PM
I have a lot of good friends who are in the Army as well as my Marine friends. I treat them with the same respect across the field. They are doing something a lot of people only wish they could have the huevos to do. I admire them because they are already in and doing their thing, while for me, I have to wait and watch on the sidelines for a bit until I hear back from the Marine OSO. There may be this play amongst the services dissing other branches, but that's kind of a way of showing endearment and brotherhood - you joke around and bash each other. Underneath all of that, there is a huge amount of respect amongst everyone underneath that DoD umbrella.

Do-Or-Die
08-14-08, 05:12 PM
I had an Army recruiter calling my house constantly, but I was always at work so my mom would pick up and say I wasn't home. He finally got a hold of me one day and asked why I picked Marines, and I said I want to be a part of the Best. He then started his thing on Army Rangers and stuff, and asked if I had ever thought about switching, and when I said no he said why do I want the Marines so much which is when I said my father served 8 years in the Corps. At that point he just said, "Oh, I understand then. Well give me a call if things don't work out." Basically, he understands that I've had it drilled into my head that the Marines are the best since I was born. People know that Marine families are all like that, so they understand. Of course your going to think the Marines are the best, but don't hate on any other service because they are all doing the same job. Maybe for different reasons, maybe with a different attitude, and maybe at a different quality than the Marines, but they still signed that dotted line, and they still put on that uniform every day.

Thats what I was initially trying to get across, the whole family thing. Thank you for getting it across in a much more respectful way.
I feel like **** for saying what I did.

RockSteady85
08-14-08, 05:17 PM
Thats what I was initially trying to get across, the whole family thing. Thank you for getting it across in a much more respectful way.
I feel like **** for saying what I did.

Well at least you learned a lesson from it, as opposed to mouthing off about it and not caring at all. We all make mistakes; it's the fact that you learn from them that matters.

MontySpecial
08-14-08, 05:31 PM
I never said I don't like the Army, I just thought it was a surprise to get that in the mail. Does ripping it up and complaining mean I'm furious? Of course not! If I gave them a call, I'd be extremely polite as that's the kind of person I am.
I over-reacted about the Dress Blues, but what can I say whenever I walk into the recruiting office it fills me with pride to see the jacket on display.
Thanks for clearing it up, Marines. I do feel immature about what I said now that I think about it. I'll be fixed in Boot Camp.

bgsuwoody
08-14-08, 05:40 PM
Did I just waste five minutes of my life regarding the life and death of a few Army pamphlets

BR34
08-14-08, 05:43 PM
Did I just waste five minutes of my life regarding the life and death of a few Army pamphlets

Yep, and those minutes are gone...forever!

Achped
08-14-08, 09:29 PM

Don't you waste like 3 hours a day cleaning weapons anyways? We only have to clean ours once every 2 weeks.

Oh PS...I'm at work right now. :D

soldierGboii
08-14-08, 10:29 PM
alot of you poolees have to understand something. i know all you take alot of pride in the fact that your going to become Marines. theres nothing wrong with that. The Marines and the Army are both honerable services. there is nothing wrong with making jokes here and there, but both services protect this country. I personally served in the Army as a 19k(m1a2 crewman) and served 12 months at fob rusdimaya baghdad. no one has anything to prove to one another. Real Marines do not have to flaunt their ego and wear their uniform to get attention. They understand their pride lives within themselves and that is enough. I also believe I speak for many of the Marines here on the forums. so poolees take this as a lesson and next time you see a person in uniform thank them for their service.

CarolinaMarine
08-15-08, 01:19 AM
I received a Army brochure in the mail 1-2 days after i just went on boot leave from the island. Main title on the brochure read: "Are you ready for a challenge?" I guess i wasn't ready for an Army challenge because i never called.

Don't hate the Navy to much, Doc is your friend.

JOConnell
08-15-08, 02:42 AM
Steps for the Recieving of an Army brochure...

#1 Respectfully remove the item from your mail box and recycle.

#2 Spend a mental momment thanking soldiers for their service.

#3 Read the following
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/vbjokes.php?do=viewjokeid&jokeid=14

#4 Snicker quietly.

#5 Take pride in your choice to join the finest fighting force the world has ever known. :flag:

AL49BGN
08-15-08, 09:57 AM
I realized my ignorance shortly after I posted it, I appologize and every member of the Armed Forces deserves respect, especially from someone in my possition.
To admit your mistake shows of maturity however if you do go to the Army recruiting stations in your Blues you will just look dumb.The Marine that told that they not only out rank you but probably have been to Iraq and Afghanistan and have more ribbons then you is right.Just let it go and be proud you made the right choice and go earn your title of Marine.Good luck Poolee.:thumbup:

RickyV
08-15-08, 11:04 AM
I gotta agree with you GBoii...

Why wear your blues to flaunt in front of the army recruiter (Who by the way has probably been to Iraq, has more ribbons than you, has more rank than you, he has everything on you except the title and that uniform...)

Wear it in front of some females who will .... you know...

Well thats a way better thing to do with your dress blues heh.

Artemis
08-15-08, 11:06 AM
Every service has there purpose and those that have served honorably deserve respect. End of story.

bgsuwoody
08-15-08, 11:10 AM
Oh my God...the Brochure died Damn it...Get over it...shed a tear whatever...but get over it.

amarine0311
08-15-08, 11:41 AM
My brother (5 yrs older than me) went into the Army when I was still in high school. He is now a Ranger. Hard as nails. The other week he told me he wished he had joined the Corps. Said the Army Rangers just didn't have that extra something the the Marines had. I smiled at him and told him to go polish my boots!!

jinelson
08-15-08, 11:57 AM
My brother (5 yrs older than me) went into the Army when I was still in high school. He is now a Ranger. Hard as nails. The other week he told me he wished he had joined the Corps. Said the Army Rangers just didn't have that extra something the the Marines had. I smiled at him and told him to go polish my boots!!

LMFAO! Thats sweet.

Jim

SgtHMH
08-15-08, 08:35 PM
Listen as respect to the other Services they have it also and have it coming. As a Poolee when you tell another Branch Recruiter that you joined the Marine Corps and they start given you a hard time about it and putting down the Corps. At that time if you have not done so get the Recruiters Name and number. Then call your Marine Recruiter and tell him what was said about you joining the Corps and about the Marine Corps. As a Poolee you did not Disrespect the other Recruiter or Branch of Service. This is called the Chain Of Command and let your Marine Recruiter handle this his own way. The Marine Recruiter is a NCO or a SNCO and also a Marine that can take care of the problem in a better way.

Semper Fi

soldierGboii
08-17-08, 11:00 PM
well you know how the Army has the nice $$ 40,000 bonuses and all. so they have decided on a new marketing strategy. this includes a new Theme unlike anything "Army Strong", as well as new fliers. the Army has signed a deal with hallmark to make music cards. they will play the Army theme song as you watch a brief history of the Army, through a Lcd screen inside the card. i know yourr probably thinking the Corps is in trouble...we know:evilgrin:. They have also changed their saying. they figured the Army of yesterday does not reflect the people of today. cell phones, stress cards, nap time, smoke breaks, and occasional snacks will be allowed to provide a more memorable experince. and last but not the least of the greatest of this new revelation...we know you have heard it.."SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT" HOOAH!!!

Achped
08-17-08, 11:34 PM
I didnt understand anything you just said, but I know a bunch of hooahs are on my base for some training event and they all look like ass.

Long hair, dirty uniforms, this one chick had no bull**** SIX pens in her sleeve pen holder. What on earth do you need SIX pens for? It looked like the claw from the Predator was in reserve or soemthing.

CarolinaMarine
08-19-08, 01:49 AM
I didnt understand anything you just said, but I know a bunch of hooahs are on my base for some training event and they all look like ass.

Long hair, dirty uniforms, this one chick had no bull**** SIX pens in her sleeve pen holder. What on earth do you need SIX pens for? It looked like the claw from the Predator was in reserve or soemthing.

Funny thing is they all seem to be different color pens too. So its like a rainbow flowing out of their arm. Highlighters, red pens, blue pens, black pens, silver pens.

I just was up at Fort Jackson SC doing some training and we were using their training aids to give a refresher on land nav. One slide said something about "motivated soldiers..." Staff Sgt read it and paused for a second looking at it. At that moment a LCpl from the back shouts up "HOOAH SSgt!" Good times.

Isrowei
08-19-08, 06:55 AM
Oh my God...the Brochure died Damn it...Get over it...shed a tear whatever...but get over it.

:marine:

Travbabble
08-19-08, 11:53 AM
Lol, funny this topic came up, I just got an Army strong brochure in the mail!